Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Woefully tenuous jokes

Started by The Mollusk, November 09, 2020, 10:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Travez

Quote from: Cuellar on November 12, 2020, 10:08:15 AM
I remember a joke from primary school that relied on the absurd premise of a nun being called 'Fuckherharder'.

Ludicrous.

That has really made me laugh

"Sister Fuckherharder. No, she never thought of changing it. She was so proud of the family name. I recall she shared a dorm with Sister Eightinchdildo and Sister Lesbiandominatrix"

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on November 12, 2020, 09:00:54 AM
Lest we forget the much-loved The Young Ones used the word 's*****c' regularly. As a diisabled teenager who had to go to school the next day and hear utter pricks do their Rik and Vyvian impressions, well, it wasn't great.

(On a personal note I've always hated that word - I found even saying it to myself difficult - but have come to terms with it, especially since my last diagnosis was that I apparently have a rare syndrome that actually has the word 's*****c' in the title. There's no escape.)

And yet the BBC banned the 1981 Ian Dury anti-charity single, Spasticus Autisticus from being played on Radio 1. Dury complained at the time, "It's supposed to be the Year Of The Disabled. EVERY fucking year should be the year of the disabled!"

When it was performed as the anthem for the 2012 Paralympics opening ceremony, I did well up and I'm able-bodied.

Jockice

He's probably the one pop star I really regret not having met or interviewed. However, did a phone interview with Ben Elton once and intended to ask him about the use of that word in The Young Ones. But I chickened out basically cos a colleague was sitting right next to me obviously listening to what I was saying. It had such a stigma in my mind at the time I didn't want my workmates to associate me with it in any way.

petril

The Cloud of Unknowing

Quote from: Menu on November 12, 2020, 12:34:35 AM
Yes, 's*****c'. That bit in IAP1 when he calls his obsessed fan a s*****c feels quite jarring now. Or maybe I've just become a pearl-clutching old cunt. A friend of mine tried to reintroduce the word into our conversations but I had to put my foot down.

There's also Rowan Atkinson using it on the Live in Belfast album during the Father of the Bride sketch in 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFiHVTFmKbo

By the time it was recorded for video about 10 years later it had been changed to 'prick'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4sfVix_2-8

Sebastian Cobb

I remember a joke from primary school that relied on the absurd premise of a nun being called 'Fuckherharder'.

Ludicrous.

I think I heard a racist version of that where it relied on an asian person being called 'Shagerada'.

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 12, 2020, 03:02:13 PM
I think I heard a racist version of that where it relied on an asian person being called 'Shagerada'.

Not necessarily racist. I remember my sister having a go at her teenage daughter for making a pun based on an Asian name. If she'd made a pun based on an English name I can guarantee it would have passed without comment. It wasn't doing anyone down, it was just a pun on their name.

I don't think there is such a name as Shagerada anyway, which makes it a crap joke. I do know a Nagina though. Which is very close to vagina. But pronounced differently.

Menu

Quote from: Jockice on November 12, 2020, 09:00:54 AM
Lest we forget the much-loved The Young Ones used the word 's*****c' regularly. As a diisabled teenager who had to go to school the next day and hear utter pricks do their Rik and Vyvian impressions, well, it wasn't great.

Actually I HAD forgotten that, which shows how long it's been since I saw TYO. It must have been awful. Sorry to hear that, Jockice.

Menu

Quote from: Jockice on November 12, 2020, 11:22:50 AM
He's probably the one pop star I really regret not having met or interviewed. However, did a phone interview with Ben Elton once and intended to ask him about the use of that word in The Young Ones. But I chickened out basically cos a colleague was sitting right next to me obviously listening to what I was saying. It had such a stigma in my mind at the time I didn't want my workmates to associate me with it in any way.

I'm sure BE would be mortified now. What was he like?

Jockice

Quote from: Menu on November 12, 2020, 06:06:07 PM
Actually I HAD forgotten that, which shows how long it's been since I saw TYO. It must have been awful. Sorry to hear that, Jockice.

It's all water under the bridge now but there were a few wankers at school who loved calling me a s*****c and whatever the intent was, that show just encouraged them. Nowadays if someone calls me that (not that it happens often) i'm just like: "Yeah, whatever. Can't you do better than that?" but in my teens (and actually for a lot longer than that) I couldn't accept that I was disabled, let alone one of 'them.'

It's a long story but nobody knew what was happening to me (born 'normal,' started limping for no apparent reason aged five, changed schools another four times - due to my dad's job. I simply loved being the new boy. Especially being the only Scottish kid AND having red hair AND a limp -- got seen by loads of doctors etc) so as you can probably guess, I was a little bit insecure . They're still not totally sure what's happening, but hey ho, that's life.

Even apart from that I could never really get into The Young Ones anyway. It could be funny in parts but I thought it only had about a 20% hit rate. Most of it was just people acting badly at acting badly. And it was always the total pricks who would re-enact the whole thing in the school yard at break.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: The Cloud of Unknowing on November 12, 2020, 01:21:18 PM
There's also Rowan Atkinson using it on the Live in Belfast album during the Father of the Bride sketch in 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFiHVTFmKbo

By the time it was recorded for video about 10 years later it had been changed to 'prick'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4sfVix_2-8

Prick was a shit choice to change it too, sadly.

Jockice

Quote from: Menu on November 12, 2020, 06:08:30 PM
I'm sure BE would be mortified now. What was he like?

Well it was at least 30 years ago, but yeah, he was okay. A nice guy. I've undoubtedly mentioned this before but I made a very big mistake in the article (I basically got the trajectory of his career the wrong way round) that I didn't realise till it got printed on the day of the show. Now he'd mentioned that whenever he played somewhere he bought the local paper to see if there was anything worth mentioning. So I basically spent the whole show crapping myself he was going to mention me and say I was a disgrace to journalism or something.

But luckily (!) a local celebrity had died that day (an ex council leader or mayor or something) so the interview was removed to make way for a tribute to him in the later edition, which is obviously the one Ben got as I escaped unscathed. Thanks ever so much dead local celebrity. I owe you one.

Anyway, I thought Ben did a not bad job of covering the subject of disability in Gridlock a couple of years later, so I'm prepared to forgive him. As Wikipedia has it: "His disability is aggressive-sympathetically handled, for example he actively embraces the word 's*****c', claiming it back, taking it away from the term of abuse it had become (in the UK) at the time of publication." Fair enough, although it took me several years to get to that position myself.

Consignia

Quote from: ProvanFan on November 11, 2020, 12:13:24 AM
From Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors which I finished earlier this evening. Not really a spoiler but I'll link instead of embedding in case it somehow bothers someone (e.g. the kind of tosser who's into visual novels)

https://i.postimg.cc/6Q63nDMv/20201110-221352-HDR.jpg

Presumably it worked better in Japanese

Just pulled out the relevant Japanese bit and no, no it doesn't work better in Japanese. It's literally the same joke
Spoiler alert
i.e "for you" and "voodoo" getting mixed up
[close]
. I guess Japanese side of it is two foreign phrases with similar assocance, and a Japanese kid might understand the former phrase from their English lessons and thus the humourous event unfolds. But yeah, pretty awful and tenous in both language cases.

famethrowa

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 12, 2020, 03:02:13 PM

Oh that brings to mind the old 80's thing "Australiana", where the bloke goes out of his way to contrive Aussie names and things (do you wanna go-Anna? I'll go if din-goes, etc etc). Anyway the most tenuous is an Asian girl named Marsu(?) who needs to go to the ladies room, the bloke asks Al "hey where can Marsu-pee-Al?" jeezus.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Menu on November 12, 2020, 12:35:39 AM
Ah really? I hope so.
I actually just rewatched to segment on Youtube and Seth MacFarlane does not use the 'r'-word. He says "moronic". Which is strange because my claim of remembering feeling shocked was genuine.

Gurke and Hare

If we're doing the ridiculously contrived stuff, there's "Where's your manners? Round the corner, picking up Shit."

Andy147

Quote from: Jumblegraws on November 10, 2020, 07:56:37 AM
This is at least the third time I've referenced this joke on CaB, but Roy Chubby Brown at one of his shows: "I hear Charlotte Church is getting through sixty ciggies a day. I thought there was no smoking in church?"

I once drove past a sign saying "Concealed Church Entrance Ahead" while Charlotte Church's upcoming private marriage was being discussed on the radio.
So basically, a real-life coincidence accidentally wrote a better joke than Chubby Brown.

Menu

Quote from: Jockice on November 12, 2020, 07:39:13 PM
Well it was at least 30 years ago, but yeah, he was okay. A nice guy. I've undoubtedly mentioned this before but I made a very big mistake in the article (I basically got the trajectory of his career the wrong way round) that I didn't realise till it got printed on the day of the show. Now he'd mentioned that whenever he played somewhere he bought the local paper to see if there was anything worth mentioning. So I basically spent the whole show crapping myself he was going to mention me and say I was a disgrace to journalism or something.

But luckily (!) a local celebrity had died that day (an ex council leader or mayor or something) so the interview was removed to make way for a tribute to him in the later edition, which is obviously the one Ben got as I escaped unscathed. Thanks ever so much dead local celebrity. I owe you one.

Anyway, I thought Ben did a not bad job of covering the subject of disability in Gridlock a couple of years later, so I'm prepared to forgive him. As Wikipedia has it: "His disability is aggressive-sympathetically handled, for example he actively embraces the word 's*****c', claiming it back, taking it away from the term of abuse it had become (in the UK) at the time of publication." Fair enough, although it took me several years to get to that position myself.

God, yeah. I'd forgotten that about Gridlock too. I read that when I was 15 and I thought it was the funniest book I'd ever read. The whole birthday card scene early on. Although all due respect to the disabled guy in the book but I'm sure, like you, not every disabled person would want that word coming back into usage. Bit selfish that. Little bit selfish.

I remember your story about the gig though. CLASSIC JOCKICE!

Menu

Quote from: Jumblegraws on November 12, 2020, 10:29:39 PM
I actually just rewatched to segment on Youtube and Seth MacFarlane does not use the 'r'-word. He says "moronic". Which is strange because my claim of remembering feeling shocked was genuine.

I'M STILL FURIOUS.

Jockice

Quote from: Menu on November 13, 2020, 07:36:35 PM
God, yeah. I'd forgotten that about Gridlock too. I read that when I was 15 and I thought it was the funniest book I'd ever read. The whole birthday card scene early on. Although all due respect to the disabled guy in the book but I'm sure, like you, not every disabled person would want that word coming back into usage. Bit selfish that. Little bit selfish.

I liked that and Stark, but haven't read any of his novels since then. Not for any particular reason, I'm just not a big novels fan actually. I much prefer biographies. I've heard very mixed reviews about Elton's later novels. Anyone know if they're any good?

Quote from: Jockice on November 15, 2020, 01:06:49 PM
I liked that and Stark, but haven't read any of his novels since then. Not for any particular reason, I'm just not a big novels fan actually. I much prefer biographies. I've heard very mixed reviews about Elton's later novels. Anyone know if they're any good?

Time and Time Again, about a time-traveller trying to avert World War One, is very good.

Catalogue Trousers

I seem to recall that The Young Ones usually said 'spazzy', which did sound funnier and less harsh than 's*****c'. The fact that it was also usually coming from an arsehole like Rick made it clear that this was neither a big nor clever thing to say. Understandable that viewers, even at the time, took offence at it, though.

QuoteThe most tenuous playground joke's opening line? "Right, there's this gay club where all the members call their nobs -'biscuits'. '"

True, but the cheery crassness of the punchline means that I'll forgive that joke anything.

Menu

Quote from: Jockice on November 15, 2020, 01:06:49 PM

I carried on buying them but they got steadily worse. Stopped after Popcorn I think. The satire was heavy-handed and the jokes weren't funny enough. They almost felt like books for young people rather than proper novels.

mjwilson

Ludicrous.

We had a joke about a woman whose dog was named Titswobble.

mippy

I think the IASIP have the same regrets over the character 'The Tranny' now, as well.