Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:30:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Overacting aka big ol' hams

Started by thelittlemango, November 09, 2020, 11:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: phantom_power on November 09, 2020, 04:13:43 PM
He is very shit in Blade Runner 2049 as well. I think he started out as a decent actor but began to love the smell of his own farts too much and turned into a shit actor.

Blue Valentine was an excellent performance but the Drive performance is clearly what made his career and what he's most often hired to recreate.

I think its fine in 2049 personally although really I would say its the actresses and Ford who carry that film, especially Ana de Armas.

phantom_power

Quote from: greenman on November 10, 2020, 09:03:09 AM
Blue Valentine was an excellent performance but the Drive performance is clearly what made his career and what he's most often hired to recreate.

I think its fine in 2049 personally although really I would say its the actresses and Ford who carry that film, especially Ana de Armas.

I was talking about Jared Leto. I think Gosling is fine in BR2049 and very good in general

People who say he doesn't act in Drive are crazy. There is so much going on there. It is just very subtle. I think in BR2049 he is deliberately blank as he is playing an robot

buzby

Quote from: phantom_power on November 10, 2020, 09:32:16 AM
I was talking about Jared Leto. I think Gosling is fine in BR2049 and very good in general

People who say he doesn't act in Drive are crazy. There is so much going on there. It is just very subtle. I think in BR2049 he is deliberately blank as he is playing an robot
Agreed. His character in BR2049 is purposely supposed to be repressed and not show emotion - he is forced to take regular baseline tests to detect any unwanted emotions are developing in him, and if they are he would be 'retired'.

greenman

Quote from: phantom_power on November 10, 2020, 09:32:16 AM

Yep I'd agree, very much what was called for in the film, similar to say Harry Dean Stanton in the first part of Paris Texas or more recently Johansson in Under The Skin, toning down emotion to the most subtle degree without much dialog.

That does actually tend to be the form a lot of my favourite performances take, Solonitsyn in Andrei Rublev is another.

imitationleather

Fr.Bigley

Even though I agree with cage 100%, Leaving Las Vegas is great. I mean, he won an Oscar for it. Bringing out the dead is alright too. And the weather man is sort of subtle...for nick cage that is.

Another vote for Richard E Grant. Does anyone remember this Ham Hock of alt pop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdT1ZwSQVTs

imitationleather

With Richard E Grant I get the impression he forgot how to be like a normal person over thirty years ago.

touchingcloth

Are you waiting to receive my limp overacting?

greenman

Quote from: imitationleather on November 10, 2020, 11:55:56 AM
With Richard E Grant I get the impression he forgot how to be like a normal person over thirty years ago.

I'd say the main problem with his career is he didnt embrace the ham ala say Alan Rickman. didnt get the milage out of the Withnail persona you'd have expected although you could argue I spose Depp stole his thunder there by nicking it.

Cage obviously did, I mean he's been in alot of crap down the years but I can't recall too many films were he's been a negative, when he's in good films he's typically well cast to ham it up.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

E. Grant was more a victim of typecasting than anything else, no? He was essentially playing a middle aged version of Withnail in Can You Ever Forgive Me?, but was fully deserving of the awards attention for it. For all Withnail's mania, Grant still still effectively portrays the vulnerability beneath it all.

Quote from: buzby on November 10, 2020, 09:39:20 AM
His character in BR2049 is purposely supposed to be repressed and not show emotion
I'm not saying that Gosling wasn't playing things as the (hugely overrated tripe) script demanded, but the idea that it's some tour de force acting masterclass is absolute guff. If anyone deserves credit for the perceived subtlety, it's the editor.

Here's Will Ferrell (himself an off-putting ham most of the time) on Gosling's acting technique: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbKBWtoH93Q

Back on topic: Richard Burton may have been a great stage actor, but he had no business being on camera.

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 10, 2020, 02:20:37 PM
E. Grant was more a victim of typecasting than anything else, no? He was essentially playing a middle aged version of Withnail in Can You Ever Forgive Me?, but was fully deserving of the awards attention for it. For all Withnail's mania, Grant still still effectively portrays the vulnerability beneath it all.

Being typecast in itself isnt always a bad thing but in his case it just seemed like there was limited opportunity to actually get decent roles out of it, a few supporting turns as english ecctrics in the early 90's and then not much else until recently.

QuoteI'm not saying that Gosling wasn't playing things as the (hugely overrated tripe) script demanded, but the idea that it's some tour de force acting masterclass is absolute guff. If anyone deserves credit for the perceived subtlety, it's the editor.

Here's Will Ferrell (himself an off-putting ham most of the time) on Gosling's acting technique: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbKBWtoH93Q

It was a film I felt I liked as much in spite of the script as due to it, pushing more towards Nolanist plot heavy thriller territory than it needed to and feeling like what is was, a merger between two scripts.

I wouldnt call it a subtle performance for the ages along the lines of the stuff I mentioned(or indeed Ford in the original), it was good enough not to hurt the film but it feels more like connective tissue between other performances alot of the time.

Rizla

Anyone mentioned George C Scott in Dr Strangelove? He apparently tried to give a much more dialled-back performance but Kubrick kept telling him to go bigger, go huge, don't worry we won't actually use these takes. Hard to imagine a low-key General Buck Turgidson working in context really.

Thomas

Quote from: Butchers Blind on November 10, 2020, 12:31:11 AM
Richard E Grant.  Withnail was alright but most everything else I've seen him in, it's too much.

Richard E even manages to ham up publicity vids shot on a webcam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2fH8FeoNs8&ab_channel=Limmy

(Feat. bonus Limmy ham)

Replies From View

What's going on with all those videophone things he's doing and laughing at the end.  Is he just unable to contain his elation at how brilliantly funny he thinks he is?

They actually anger me a bit.

Thomas

Enjoy this selection of re-performed lines from Withnail & I, awash with Grantlols:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfX85nbGQrk&ab_channel=Hitcher....

Replies From View

I do not value them, Sam I Am.

Why does he keep bursting with laughter?  WHY DOES HE KEEP BURSTING WITH LAUGHTER

Thomas

Mister Six

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 09, 2020, 05:01:37 PM
I like the films I've seen him in, but his "acting" does seem to be the least amount of work I've ever seen an actor do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqs7857hksM&ab_channel=FunnyOrDie

He shows some fantastic comic chops in The Nice Guys.

The Nice Guys is his best acting by a mile - because he's actually acting.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm sure he'd disagree, but Hollywood superstardom was the worst thing that ever happened to Anthony Hopkins. Before that he was an intense, subtle British character actor, but post-Lecter he went full ham and happily appeared in any old shite for the money.

Mind you, his performance in Remains of the Day is beautiful. That's arguably the last example of him doing some 'proper acting' before he sold out completely.

chveik

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 10, 2020, 10:16:25 PM
Mind you, his performance in Remains of the Day is beautiful. That's arguably the last example of him doing some 'proper acting' before he sold out completely.

I couldn't take it seriously because of the Lee & Herring joke.

non capisco

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 10, 2020, 10:16:25 PM

He did Shadowlands the same year which is quite the one-two punch. But, yeah, can't really think of much else after that, just happy to pop up in utter shit like The Wolfman. I haven't seen last year's The Two Popes but people seemed to like that although it seemed to be Jonathan Pryce that got all the plaudits.

PS I am wanking as I type this

EDIT: Gah! This is why they send you warnings that's someone has posted after the last one.

Quote from: chveik on November 10, 2020, 10:20:07 PM
I couldn't take it seriously because of the Lee & Herring joke.

That joke was based on 84 Charing Cross Road, the film in which Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft send poetic letters to each other while wanking.

Quote from: non capisco on November 10, 2020, 10:26:49 PM
He did Shadowlands the same year which is quite the one-two punch. But, yeah, can't really think of much else after that, just happy to pop up in utter shit like The Wolfman. I haven't seen last year's The Two Popes but people seemed to like that although it seemed to be Jonathan Pryce that got all the plaudits.

I'm sure he's still capable of delivering a ham-free performance. Even Al Pacino can dial it down occasionally. Sort of. I haven't seen The Two Popes either.

Hopkins was fairly restrained in Westworld.

Mads Mikkelsen is the best Hannibal Lecter though.

Mister Six

I was going to say both of those things.

You have joined the congregation of the church of the universal truth.

You may join the snog pile.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 10, 2020, 11:45:33 PM
Hopkins was fairly restrained in Westworld.

He was, yes. So there you go, Hopkins can still act. Glad we've sorted that out.