Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:36:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

DAB/Bluetooth thingy to shove in my stereo amp?

Started by Artie Fufkin, November 09, 2020, 02:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artie Fufkin

Hello, lovelies.
Yes. I'm after a DAB thingummy with Bluetooth that will plug into my existing stereo amplifier.
The only decent one I've found so far is all tied up to Sonos, which I've heard is somewhat of a pain?
Anyone know of anything suitable?
Thanky muchly.

Endicott

A cursory search suggests that a DAB audio separate tuner with bluetooth doesn't exist.

Being a cheapskate anyway, I added a DAB radio with bluetooth to my existing stereo by - buying a car DAB radio like this (not this model, but they are all similar) and sticking it on top of my amp in the lounge. Had to get a separate aerial. Ear phone / AUX straight into the tuner input on the amp. Cost about 40 quid.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Endicott on November 09, 2020, 03:38:02 PM
A cursory search suggests that a DAB audio separate tuner with bluetooth doesn't exist.

Down with this type of thing!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Endicott on November 09, 2020, 03:38:02 PM
Being a cheapskate anyway, I added a DAB radio with bluetooth to my existing stereo by - buying a car DAB radio like this (not this model, but they are all similar) and sticking it on top of my amp in the lounge. Had to get a separate aerial. Ear phone / AUX straight into the tuner input on the amp. Cost about 40 quid.

That looks ok, actually.

NoSleep

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on November 09, 2020, 02:22:38 PM
Hello, lovelies.
Yes. I'm after a DAB thingummy with Bluetooth that will plug into my existing stereo amplifier.
The only decent one I've found so far is all tied up to Sonos, which I've heard is somewhat of a pain?
Anyone know of anything suitable?
Thanky muchly.

This sort of thing (half the solution)?

https://www.amazon.com/BE-RCA-Bluetooth-Wireless-Receiver-Streaming/dp/B07XMRMK6F/codanbod-21

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: NoSleep on November 10, 2020, 02:53:12 PM
This sort of thing (half the solution)?

https://www.amazon.com/BE-RCA-Bluetooth-Wireless-Receiver-Streaming/dp/B07XMRMK6F/codanbod-21

Yep. That looks cool, ta. But I really want one that comes with a DAB. There must be something decent out there, surely?

QDRPHNC

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on November 11, 2020, 12:48:28 PM
Yep. That looks cool, ta. But I really want one that comes with a DAB. There must be something decent out there, surely?

Is there anything on DAB that you can't stream via the internet in better quality?

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 11, 2020, 02:01:21 PM
Is there anything on DAB that you can't stream via the internet in better quality?
Yeah. I am beginning to think this now....

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 11, 2020, 01:30:08 PM
I have a Sonos Beam and it's great.

Anything here fit the bill?
https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=bluetooth+dab+radio
Thanks, but I'm really after something that looks like it actually belongs to my stereo, if you see what I mean.
Think I'm just gonna go for a decent Bluetooth receiver.

Joy Nktonga

I've got one of these: Ebay link. It's been on the go for nearly nine years and I think it's pretty good. I don't know about £199 used though. I don't know how long ago they went out of production so I've no idea of the age of that one.

Yamaha have this coming out soon which looks pretty tasty. I believe that some of Yamaha's modern kit is well regarded so this could be alright.

Artie Fufkin

Joy Nktonga

God, it really does! I can't afford it and I definitely don't need it, but I'm considering it nevertheless.

Sebastian Cobb

Just as an alternative thing, you may be set on bluetooth, but chromecast audio's are still great and have well-respected dacs in them despite being tiny. They are not perfect, but something I like they give over bluetooth is they stream directly (their protocol is effectively being sent a url, so then they fetch it and decode it) and receive instructions over the network, so you can't shove your phone in your pocket and go out of range and also can be grouped so if you stick one on another radio you they can be grouped and synced (as I do with internet radio in my study/lounge/kitchen and can wander between them with things playing (just stream to all and flick the amp on when needed etc).

They are discontinued but seem to go for a similar price, actual chromecasts work the same with an audio breakout too. Of course google could go 'fuck it, binned' tomorrow though.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Joy Nktonga on November 13, 2020, 05:32:09 PM
God, it really does! I can't afford it and I definitely don't need it, but I'm considering it nevertheless.
It's a ridiculous price for something I'm definitely going to buy don't need.