Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,363
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inbred: Sandwiches

Started by Fr.Bigley, November 10, 2020, 01:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I suppose I assumed that hot pork sandwiches were sold everywhere but they're certainly popular in the Black Country where there are takeaway shops selling petty much nothing else.

I wouldn't buy them from this tool in Wolverhampton though.

Fr.Bigley

Would love to try this, Weird I only live up the road and worked in Sheff for ages and never knew this was a thing.

the

If you're effectively cooking a meal just to put it in bread, or if you have to do a SPECIAL LITTLE SHOPPING TRIP to assemble all the wanky ingredients, then you've completely missed the fucking point of sandwiches. By that stage, just have dinner instead.

Fr.Bigley

Sometimes the vessel is better the sum of all parts. Thats why I love hookers over my ex wife.

Pingers

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 11, 2020, 05:00:52 PM
I suppose I assumed that hot pork sandwiches were sold everywhere but they're certainly popular in the Black Country where there are takeaway shops selling petty much nothing else.

I wouldn't buy them from this tool in Wolverhampton though.

Interesting. What if there's a steel-making / hot pork sarnie correlation. Anyone from Port Talbot?

Jittlebags

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 11, 2020, 03:48:16 PM
What are the things above Liver Sosage, pie cases? They look too stacked together to be pies with filling.

Maybe they've got a vat of onion, meat and gravy on the go, and they ladle it into the pie case?

Rizla

One odd thing about that retro sandwich pic is that the chicken salad at 15p is the costliest item - presumably in the days before intensive farming, chicken was something of a luxury. (15p in 1972 = £2 today)

As one of the more "mature" people on here I can remember chicken being a bit of a luxury and not the almost throwaway commodity it seems to be nowadays.

I've also got to say that those retro sandwiches sound pretty bad - the luncheon meat and pressed veal (?) combos being particularly grim prospects.

I believe buying a chicken from the butcher was once a bit of a luxury, yeah. Not sure where this stern-looking 1960s Edinburgh matron sourced her poultry, but it seems that if you were willing to do the plucking yourself, you could also leave your chickens on the pavement while you stopped for a natter.

Pingers

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on November 11, 2020, 08:04:50 PM
I believe buying a chicken from the butcher was once a bit of a luxury, yeah. Not sure where this stern-looking 1960s Edinburgh matron sourced her poultry, but it seems that if you were willing to do the plucking yourself, you could also leave your chickens on the pavement while you stopped for a natter.

Surely that's Steve Pemberton

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: kittens on November 10, 2020, 01:27:07 PM
invented a sandwich pissed and starving at the end of a bbq this summer. dry roasted peanuts and newman's own salad dressing in between two slices of any bread. sopping wet getting peanuts and juice everywhere. everyone said they stank. i had loads. mouth is watering thinking about it now

awful sarnie

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on November 10, 2020, 01:06:14 PM
Jam or chocolate spread sandwich on buttered white bread. Can't be topped.

Working class brilliance.

great sarnie

Marner and Me

Lemon curd or get the fuck out

Rizla

Bugging me that I can't work out where that was taken - at first I was sure it was this  corner on Queensferry st but the windows are wrong. George St maybe.

owlboy

Close. I think it's the corner of Stafford Street and William Street/Alva Street:

Clicky

Blumf

...you could also leave your chickens on the pavement while you stopped for a natter.

Chickens passed out by the shear boredom of their conversation.

moondogs

Quote from: Rizla on November 11, 2020, 02:56:26 PM
Aye I had that in 2005, that place is a trip and a half. The overly involved payment system, all confused with your little ticket while the real Noo Yawkers give it the "of all da noive, comin' in heah treatin dis place like it's coney fuckin island on the fourth a july". Smart, it was.

It was definitely an experience. Loved it. I knew it'd be popular and went kinda late at night, so it wasn't super busy, but I was still taken aback at the scale of the operation.

The sammich was top tier, as was loads of the food I had in NYC.

itsfredtitmus

I just buy the one with biggest calorie count and fuck off

Sorted

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: bgmnts on November 10, 2020, 01:06:14 PM
Jam or chocolate spread sandwich on buttered white bread. Can't be topped.

Working class brilliance.
folded over rather than a proper sandwich with 2 rounds tho

Cold Meat Platter

A hot beef disc and cheese on a sesame seed bun with relish.

Ferris

Quote from: owlboy on November 11, 2020, 11:56:48 PM
Close. I think it's the corner of Stafford Street and William Street/Alva Street:

Clicky

Christ, Edinburgh is a beautiful place.

Jittlebags

We had a pack of venison sausages in the fridge, approaching their use by date, so I thought, Oho! That'll do nicely for lunch in a sandwich. Had some granary bread in, which generally gets used for toast, or bread and butter. Fuck me, it's shite for sandwiches. My sausage sandwich had zero structural integrity, falling apart all over my plate.

Sherringford Hovis

The culinary equivalent of a Rothko painting.

If this is true, I want to try a sandwich Frida Kahlo. Or at least a Fighting Temeraire baguette.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 11, 2020, 04:01:47 PM
I'd say it's not a proper sandwich if you eat it with cutlery, instead of picking it up. Beans on toast are therefore disqualified. I feel like the bread has to be baked prior to assembly to qualify as a sandwich, so pizza etc. doesn't count either. You wouldn't get one of those raisin malt loaves and call it a sandwich by itself.

This works for me. I think this is a fine and solid demarcation of the sandwich.

Poobum

One of the thinks I miss about zopiclone was how hungry they'd make me, and how delicious everything tasted. Cheese and lemon curd sandwiches were truly a taste sensation. Previous nights pork balls complete with coagulated sweet and sour sauce, grasped with breaded fists, just everything sublime.

badaids

Quote from: Rizla on November 11, 2020, 03:08:20 PM
RETRO SANDWICH PICTURE! SANDWICHES OF 1972

In about 1990 there was a sandwich shop/deli opened near my school, where I'd get a ham salad roll on a poppy seed roll for my lunch a couple of times a week. I've tried to replicate this sandwich over the years and never come close. Different lettuce I bet. Just like you can't get a grapefruit that isn't ruby red no more.

This is one of my favorite photos ever. Liver Sausage 10p!  Can you even get Lives Sausage any more - love that shit.

Neomod

Quote from: badaids on November 16, 2020, 09:01:34 PM
This is one of my favorite photos ever. Liver Sausage 10p!  Can you even get Lives Sausage any more - love that shit.

Oh yes. It's usually next to the Polony.

flotemysost

I believe buying a chicken from the butcher was once a bit of a luxury, yeah.

Yeah, my dad tells me that in his childhood (1950s London/Essex) having a roast chicken would be a really fancy thing, might happen at Christmas if you were lucky, but rabbit was more likely to be a regular fixture.

I love both of these photos, stern chicken woman and 10p liver sosage.

Bankside Sandwich Bar near Blackfriars advertises an interesting-looking roster of fillings, but it's always shut when I've been past. Also potential controversy re: roll vs. bap markup, depending on your definition of either.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 11, 2020, 10:25:22 AM

Best with salt and vinegar crisps, like having a fish and chips sandwich.

In Katz's I had the roast beef rather than the salt beef, which could be seen as provocative but it was very good. I actually had the half sandwich and (pea) soup. The soup was great too.