Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,371
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:03:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inbred: Sandwiches

Started by Fr.Bigley, November 10, 2020, 01:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirhenry

The Mollusk

Here's me posing at the ULTIMATE SANDWICH LOCATION earlier this year. Can any of you readers beat this?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 17, 2020, 09:03:44 AM
Here's me posing at the ULTIMATE SANDWICH LOCATION earlier this year. Can any of you readers beat this?

I can - I've just negotiated a Finglesham deal.

sirhenry

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 17, 2020, 10:06:36 AM
I can - I've just negotiated a Finglesham deal.
Well, you thought you had until you were northbourned over!

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 11, 2020, 03:31:43 PM
Towers of sarnies just slapped straight on the shelf there. Probably nothing wrong with that if it's cleaned properly...I suppose? Still making me nervous.

I couldn't. Just thinking of the hands that might have touched them, and surely they'd be horribly dried out within a few hours anyway?

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 17, 2020, 12:22:11 AMsalt beef

Salt beef *swoon*.  I go down to a cafe in Westcliff to get it with latkes and greens.  Sadly, last time I looked it was marked as closed on Google, I'm hoping it's just for November not for life. 

pancreas

Not too difficult to make yourself, you know. The difficult bit is getting hold of potassium nitrate, which is both a fertiliser and ingredient in explosives. So don't order loads is my advice.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: pancreas on November 17, 2020, 03:09:56 PM
Not too difficult to make yourself, you know. The difficult bit is getting hold of potassium nitrate, which is both a fertiliser and ingredient in explosives. So don't order loads is my advice.

You can buy it from butchers suppliers. Its usually called "Prague mix #1". Use very small amounts for curing, usually 0.5gram per kilo. Source: made fancy sausages for a coupe of years. 

buttgammon

I had an excellent salt beef bagel from Beigel Bake on Brick Lane, probably the best thing on those lines I've eaten outside NYC.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on November 17, 2020, 03:19:11 PM

You can buy it from butchers suppliers. Its usually called "Prague mix #1". Use very small amounts for curing, usually 0.5gram per kilo. Source: made fancy sausages for a coupe of years.

I made some salt beef a few years ago and ordered my prague powder from here https://www.smokedust.co.uk/

I notice it has faded to pretty much white now, but given it's mostly salt and stuff, I doubt it matters all that much.

Neomod

Quote from: buttgammon on November 17, 2020, 05:15:02 PM
I had an excellent salt beef bagel from Beigel Bake on Brick Lane, probably the best thing on those lines I've eaten outside NYC.

There used to be a gem of a stall on Exmouth market. An old Jewish guy and his wife did yummy salt beef on Rye sammiches for a fiver. Mustard and gherkin but hold the sauerkraut. Lovely.

Sebastian Cobb

Even the ones from Bagel Mania are good and I assume those are basically shit-tier compared to a proper traditional place.

Fr.Bigley

On another note, Is Bagel Nash a national chain or just a Leeds ting? Genuinely cant remember seeing one anywhere else.

Edit: It's just a Northern thing, apologies.

Quote from: flotemysost on November 16, 2020, 11:16:13 PM

Also potential controversy re: roll vs. bap markup, depending on your definition of either.

'Ow much am the cobs?

Captain Crunch

Oooh yes those are nice.  I think Westcliff just edges it, something about eating salt beef while gazing out over the sea, it's perfect.  As I remember, they used to get their bagels / beigels from the Shalom bakery:

https://www.shalomhotbeigels.com/

That place has it all – greens, chopped liver, Blooms Viennas  ... *drool*

Gurke and Hare

I'm struggling to find anywhere anywhere near me (in SE London) that sells decent bagels. with or without salt beef.

pancreas

Jews in North London; Koreans in South London.

I don't make the rules, but those are they.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pancreas on November 17, 2020, 09:15:08 PM
Jews in North London; Koreans in South London.

You never know di gangsta
Mi seh dem inna jungle
Well, yeah

flotemysost

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 17, 2020, 09:08:07 PM
I'm struggling to find anywhere anywhere near me (in SE London) that sells decent bagels. with or without salt beef.

Dunno how regal this place actually is, but it's in Camberwell: http://www.bagelking247.co.uk/ And I had a decent bagel and lox from Borough Market this year (sort of SE).

It can't be more disappointing than my one experience at THE HAPPENING BAGEL BAKERY in Finsbury Park, anyway.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: pancreas on November 17, 2020, 09:15:08 PM
Jews in North London; Koreans in South London

Stealers Wheel consider rewrite.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 17, 2020, 09:08:07 PM

But you've got Sunrise Bakery and all that lovely firm delicious hard dough bread. 

buttgammon

Going back to Beigel Bake, I'd really recommend their challah, which has fennel seeds in it

badaids

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 11, 2020, 10:25:22 AM

I used to love this stuff, but then it became hard to find a pot that wasn't full of this horrible gritty ground up fish bone residue. And it fucking honks.