Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:40:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Latest 'Monkey Christ' style restoration bodge

Started by Alberon, November 10, 2020, 09:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

We're all familiar with the botched restoration of a Christ painting in a church by a well-meaning parishoner.

Or this careful touch-up of the Virgin Mary.

Well, those wacky Spanish have been at it again. This time with a statue on the outside of a building in Palencia.

Frankly, this is far worse for two reasons. One, it must have been paid for by someone rather than some batty old pensioner having a go for nothing. Two, Monkey Christ is clearly much closer to the original than the new head that sculpture has.

imitationleather

Wow. I honestly thought you'd made the new one up yourself but no there it is on the front page of The Guardian.

BlodwynPig

JesusAndYourBush

It doesn't say what happened to the original statues head.  The statue in the 'before' photo has nothing wrong with it and doesn't need anything doing to it.  But from the quality of the photo it doesn't appear to be taken a very long time ago.

Icehaven

Ordinarily I'd think this was deliberate since Monkey Christ became such a huge tourist draw, however nobody's touristing at the moment, and if it's that high up you can't see it from the ground then it'd be pointless travelling to see it anyway, so it must just be sheer ineptitude. 
Edit; Although that Guardian article does seem to make a lot of how much tourism revenue something like this can make so maybe I'm not being cynical after all.

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on November 11, 2020, 08:16:44 AM
Ordinarily I'd think this was deliberate since Monkey Christ became such a huge tourist draw, however nobody's touristing at the moment, and if it's that high up you can't see it from the ground then it'd be pointless travelling to see it anyway, so it must just be sheer ineptitude.

Every time I drive down to the Algarve from Bilbao, Palencia is one of the major towns which you count down the kilometres to as you churn through the boring as fuck interior of Spain. Badajoz, Cáceres, Salamanca, Valladolid, Palencia. I know where I'll be stopping for a piss next time I drive that route, unless Mérida wants to scrape some tits into a Stations of the Cross.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

These look awful, but then one remembers the poetry of Carol Ann Duffy.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 11, 2020, 08:18:21 AMCáceres

Interrailed around Spain and Portugal when I was 20 and had an evening there waiting to change to the night train. We wandered into town to see what was up and 20 minutes later went back to the station to sit on a bench and wait it out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Inspector Norse

As I remember the average age of the population was biblical.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 11, 2020, 08:40:39 AM
Interrailed around Spain and Portugal when I was 20 and had an evening there waiting to change to the night train. We wandered into town to see what was up and 20 minutes later went back to the station to sit on a bench and wait it out.

Sounds like the week I had booked in Poznan. We wandered into town to see what was up and 20 minutes later 36 hours later took a train to Berlin to spend the rest of our time.

Retinend

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 11, 2020, 08:18:21 AM
Every time I drive down to the Algarve from Bilbao, Palencia is one of the major towns which you count down the kilometres to as you churn through the boring as fuck interior of Spain. Badajoz, Cáceres, Salamanca, Valladolid, Palencia. I know where I'll be stopping for a piss next time I drive that route, unless Mérida wants to scrape some tits into a Stations of the Cross.

I lived in Caceres for a year and a half. It's a lovely place and is famous for its artisan food products, Jamón de Bellota (acorn-fattened pork) especially. Scenes from Games of Thrones were filmed there because it seems just like a medieval court in its centre ("casco antiguo", as the Spanish say).

ASFTSN

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 11, 2020, 09:24:16 AM
Sounds like the week I had booked in Poznan. We wandered into town to see what was up and 20 minutes later 36 hours later took a train to Berlin to spend the rest of our time.

While in Wrocław I was informed by a gang of young people from Poznan that Poznan was a better city with more sights and more to do. Local allegiances and all that, but bollocks.

There is certainly more than 36 hours worth, providing you enjoy football, steam trains and thermal spas (I do), but Poznan is quite a step inferior to Wrocław, the clear exception being the nightlife, which is what I suppose they may have been talking about. Poznan's nightlife is (or was, or will be again) absolutely buzzing.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Retinend on November 11, 2020, 09:29:56 AM
I lived in Caceres for a year and a half. It's a lovely place and is famous for its artisan food products, Jamón de Bellota (acorn-fattened pork) especially. Scenes from Games of Thrones were filmed there because it seems just like a medieval court in its centre ("casco antiguo", as the Spanish say).

Must have missed that when I was there, does look nice.

Then again every town in Spain looks like that[nb]apart from, I have it on good authority, Albacete[/nb] so maybe we were just desensitised after three weeks going round them all.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAlbacete

Vigo is another. Grand boulevards, pretty turn of the 20th century buildings here and there alongside plain tower blocks. Anyone who thinks Bratislava old town is small would have Vigo's Casco Vello area place that into a new context.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 11, 2020, 10:03:43 AM
While in Wrocław I was informed by a gang of young people from Poznan that Poznan was a better city with more sights and more to do. Local allegiances and all that, but bollocks.

There is certainly more than 36 hours worth, providing you enjoy football, steam trains and thermal spas (I do), but Poznan is quite a step inferior to Wrocław, the clear exception being the nightlife, which is what I suppose they may have been talking about. Poznan's nightlife is (or was, or will be again) absolutely buzzing.

We were on a severe budget, so nightlife wasn't really on the cards, and were after just enjoying the city for as close to free as possible.

It wasn't a total washout, and things like the big Soviet graveyard and tank/plane memorial on the hill were interesting, and some of the vending machine options blew my mind

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 26, 2020, 10:32:14 PM
An underpass in Poland: chips.

My main memory of Poznan, however, is having to step over a junkie with a needle in his arm on the staircase up to our hostel on arrival, and on departure hearing the radio in the cab en route to the airport saying what sounded like "el presidente" quite a lot, and then the TV screens in the airport all featured scenes of a smoking plane wreck, as we happened to be flying out on the day Kaczyński bought the farm.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 11, 2020, 12:01:02 PM
[nb]apart from, I have it on good authority, Albacete[/nb]

As the saying goes: 'Albacete, caga y vete'

(Albacete, take a dump and leave)

Johnny Yesno

evilcommiedictator

You're missing the classic "I've just been rogered with a cucumber by the bigger chaps on the rugger team"