Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:30:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

An all new classic ads thread!

Started by Glebe, November 11, 2020, 11:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: Camp Tramp on November 13, 2020, 01:46:13 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0wDjWOnHcY

This advert must have single-handedly destroyed the British pork industry. I wasn't a great fan of pork anyway and this advert didn't help me develop an appreciation for it.

Thought that was going to be an RSPCA thing.

Quote from: buzby on November 13, 2020, 01:54:33 PMAnother classic Dunlop ad (v.o. by Briers) from the days before they got asset stripped into oblivion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V4HK0r3kjo

Puts me in mind of this!

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Glebe on November 13, 2020, 01:02:04 PM
Are you sure you're not thinking of this?

Old man out of Metallica's 'Enter Sandman' video making an appearance there, I think.
Oh no! I'm remembering the visuals from the wrong advert. It was definitely for Mazda and it wasn't the Velvet Underground on the soundtrack, it was more backwards sounding electronica.

Nice find, though - thanks.

Phil_A

Quote from: jobotic on November 13, 2020, 11:58:49 AM
Not one of these? Is Cartoonies the brand? Never heard of 'em.

https://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/search.aspx?Kwrd=chocolate+biscuits

None of those, no. It was part live action, part animated. Various characters would eat said biscuits and giant cartoony eyes would terrifyingly bulge from their heads like Judge Doom at the end of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. One of them was a little girl who screeched "IT'S A BICCY!" and there was also a giant Kong-style gorilla that went "COR!" The jingle at the end went "It's a biccy, chock-a-licky, lotsa loonies, COR! CARTOONIES!"

I only ever saw it in the early weekend mornings on Channel 4, possibly between episodes of David The Gnome, Sharky & George, Once Upon A Time...Life, etc.

magval

Anyone mind the as for ice cream (Wall's I think) where the wee lad comes out of a wedding bored and his cool leather jacket uncle flips him a quid to go to the shop for a cone?

Wonderful Butternut

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Glebe on November 13, 2020, 01:02:04 PMAre you sure you're not thinking of this?

That is a fantastic advert, I'd put it in my personal top ten always.

Not quite as good this one, nothing is ever as good as this one:

I fancy your Mum Sean

Glebe

Duracell Bunny.

Remington Electric Shaver... "I was so impressed, I bought the company!"

"Ho ho ho!" - Green Giant!

That's from the '00s, can't see any UK ads from the '80s or that!

Oh yeah, these have been discussed before, they're PIFs really, but then were on during the ad breaks, so:

Give Blood UK Public Info (with The Spinners).

Blood Donors - Glenda Jackson and Ernie Wise.

Sue Barker - Blood Donor Advert (1978).

Some more Irish ads:

Penneys... got a whole lotta things for Christmas!

Talk about nostalgic!

ESB - Goin' Back.

HB Ice Cream, "Ah, I think y'might be quicker on your own, son!"

Brennan's Bread... Today's bread... today!

Pat the Baker.

There were ads for Bass on in the '80s that I can't specifically remember, this Dubliner's one is vaguely familiar. O' Donoghue's on Baggot Street there. Also vaguely remember an ad for Satzenbrau that I can't find. Also some animated butter ad with the slogan, "You try keeping a lid on it!"

Oh yeah, a Canada Dry ad from the '80s with a guy walking in the snow or something that I can't find.

[FAKE EDIT]Oh yeah, this:

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: The Evil Horde advert (c. 1987).

"Hordak, Hordak..." den-den den! I had Castle Greyskull, with a microphone thing you could talk through to make a kind of Skeletor voice. I had the He-Man figure, and also a Ram Man that could pop up but the springs went.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Captain Crunch on November 13, 2020, 11:01:26 PM

I fancy your Mum Sean

That's a fucking weird advert. How the fuck is that supposed to help sell microwaveable chicken curry? Also, who goes round to someone's house, and says " 'ere, microwave me a fucking meal, mate"? as soon as they step through the fucking door. Taking liberties, this ( admittedly quite fit ) mum- fancying fucker. Sean looks just about ready to kick the shit out of his so- called mate by the end of that ad, don't blame the cunt at all.

Fr.Bigley

I fucking loved that Konica Ad in the early 90's with hundreds of people in colourful traditional dress singing something like "Konica, colours are calling you"...or summat. Properly encompasses the optimism of the 90's; if only that lasted. Before school jingle for me.

Captain Crunch

Was it this one?

Konica ad

It was actually filmed in Bromley. 

petril

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on November 14, 2020, 10:47:36 AM
I fucking loved that Konica Ad in the early 90's with hundreds of people in colourful traditional dress singing something like "Konica, colours are calling you"...or summat. Properly encompasses the optimism of the 90's; if only that lasted. Before school jingle for me.

aye, that seemed to get a lot of airtime during GMTV and the Big Breakfast. part of the songbook of shite people shout out and repeat and make idiomatic for a while to cope with school life in general

Fr.Bigley

Gurke and Hare

As well as the well known "Will it be chips or jacket spuds" Birdseye Steakhouse Grill advert there was another one with a goalkeeper losing his concentration thinking about his Steakhouse Grill, and conceding a goal leading to the crowd chanting "Had your chips, your chips" at him that I haven't been able to find anywhere. There's about 8 copies of the other one on YouTube, but this one is nowhere to be seen.

I noticed that BBC4 is trailing a forthcoming documentary on music from TV programmes and adverts, which might be worth looking out for. Can't actually find anything about it on the BBC website, mind you.

non capisco

Quote from: Captain Crunch on November 13, 2020, 11:01:26 PM

I fancy your Mum Sean

Is that Ben Whishaw as Sean?

"I fancy your Mum, Q."

Glebe

Oh yeah, this HB ad that oddly I'd forgotten about, but was a familiar sight on RTÉ back in the day!

"...a great big bowl of ice cream!"

"Did it taste as good then?"

And Homestead... brings value home!

SPAR Christmas Ad 2012.

This other 'recent' ad features the 'Under the tree at Spar' jingle at the end, can't find any older ones!

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 14, 2020, 04:45:20 PMAs well as the well known "Will it be chips or jacket spuds" Birdseye Steakhouse Grill advert there was another one with a goalkeeper losing his concentration thinking about his Steakhouse Grill, and conceding a goal leading to the crowd chanting "Had your chips, your chips" at him that I haven't been able to find anywhere. There's about 8 copies of the other one on YouTube, but this one is nowhere to be seen.

Oh yeah, that rings a bell.

I can't find the Konica 'colours are calling me' ads with the alien... really trippy, one of them had the alien dressed up as an alien at a fancy dress party then unveiling his weird cartoony caterpillar head at the end of the ad. The woman's intoning "KONICA!" in her weird, eerie tone like some messager from an alternate dimension, I'm convinced Konica were in cahoots with some interdimensional extra-terrestrial DMT beings testing the waters with the human race!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 14, 2020, 04:45:20 PM
As well as the well known "Will it be chips or jacket spuds" Birdseye Steakhouse Grill advert there was another one with a goalkeeper losing his concentration thinking about his Steakhouse Grill, and conceding a goal leading to the crowd chanting "Had your chips, your chips" at him that I haven't been able to find anywhere. There's about 8 copies of the other one on YouTube, but this one is nowhere to be seen.

I remember that 'un. The goalie is genuinely aggrieved at the entire crowd having a go at him, and throws the ball back  onto the pitch and into state of play with a really hurt look of " look, just fuck off, will you?" on his facial features. I remember me and my top flatmate / best friend at the time always having a right old laugh at that ad , in between sessions of laughing at the singer from outta Renegade Soundwave's resemblance to Rik Mayall, and wanking over pointing out how attractive Betty Boo was, when both of those acts were on TOTP. We were so young and carefree in them days. Contemporaneous with them Maxell Tape ads , too. Does anyone want to put up that cartoon ad  depicting the services of now- defunct record company Our Price, too?  # Psychedelia, Psychedelia # !

ETA: That fucked off goalie add I referenced was 1984, and my best friend was just round at my mum's at the time ( he never actually asked me to microwave him a chicken curry, or say that he fancied my mum at the time, fair play to him), all the rest of the other stuff I done mentioned was approximately  circa 1990.

Dirty Boy

Greatest voiceover evar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28gtBz5ADmI

Sounds like Spike Milligan after a stroke.

Glebe

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Dirty Boy on November 14, 2020, 08:20:32 PM
Greatest voiceover evar

Good , responsible advert , that.
# stick syrup on fucking everything, give yourself type 1 diabetes, stick to going  regularly to the dentist, and hope all your teeth don't fucking fall out #.  Catchy tune.

ProvanFan

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteThe best best needs no etiquette.

Early, silent appearance by a very young Stephen Fry, there.

Oh, and Glebe - alien advertising drink? Well, many drinks can quench a thirst, but only one can Quosh it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzlXw2mkSVM

Glebe

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on November 15, 2020, 12:40:22 AMOh, and Glebe - alien advertising drink? Well, many drinks can quench a thirst, but only one can Quosh it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzlXw2mkSVM

Bless your heart, CT! Forgot about the ad-interruption and drinking through his ear! "Do not fail us!"

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Kerrygold have been rerunning some of their old ads with a new wraparound of "remember the good old days", including this mawkish load of shite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REqZ4h_5fZI

"He'll be born in Germany, but his feet will touch Irish soil first." Yes Pat I'm sure your wife will be thrilled to have you bring a big lump of turf into the delivery room to put near her torn, bleeding vagina.

Anyway so as not to be a bringdown, here's the original Safe Cross Code sung by Brendan Grace. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEssgMQ1O_k

FredNurke

Quote from: Dirty Boy on November 14, 2020, 08:20:32 PM
Greatest voiceover evar

That is Milligan, isn't it? Either that or a bloody good impersonator.

I don't see any mention so far of the various Ariston adverts.

Glebe

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 15, 2020, 01:04:14 AMAnyway so as not to be a bringdown, here's the original Safe Cross Code sung by Brendan Grace. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEssgMQ1O_k

No sign of the one with Judge from Wanderly Wagon, sadly. Again we're dealing with PIFs here, but they were on during the ad breaks so... anyway, here's David Prowse as the Green Cross Code Man... and one with the Green Cross Code Robot! Fuck's sake, imagine that in Star Wars. It'd immediately get fucked into a trash compactor.

Quote from: FredNurke on November 15, 2020, 01:07:48 AMThat is Milligan, isn't it? Either that or a bloody good impersonator.

I don't see any mention so far of the various Ariston adverts.

*snaps fingers* Nice one, Fred! Ariston completed slipped my mind. Here's what think is the original.

RE: Milligan, he did a voiceover for Birds Custard ("If it's not Birds, then you're a custard short of a pudding!") but I can't find it... also remember an ad for something where he's asleep in bed.

YES! 'Kellogg's Country Store, "Bring me apples, bring me hazelnuts..." ad! Not the exact one I remember, but at least it has the wonderful song!

Oh yeah:

Classic Ads Nescafe with Gareth Hunt and Diane Keen and Una Stubbs.

Nescafe Coffee Advert (featuring Sarah Greene!)

The original (I think?) is only available in the form of these outtakes, which are worth a look.

Going forward a few years, here's a some of them Gold Blend ads with Anthony Head.

Couple of Harp Lager ads that ring a bell:

Harp Lager - Sally O'Brien.

A pint of Harp and packet of dates please Harp Lager TV Ad 1992.

Can't find any Colin Murphy ones.

How could we forget Captain Birdseye?

Oh yes, and Access is Your Flexible Friend.

My Little Pony - skinny and bony!

1979 KP Crisps KP Fryer Adverts.

Tbh I really only remember the monks rather than any particular KP ad!

Golden Wonder Crisps - Britain's Noisiest - 1986 - UK Advert.

I'd forgotten about that ad. Disturbing ending!

Clumsy Colin KP Skips Crisps Retro British Advert 1980s.

KP Skips Mr & Mrs Crisp 1988 UK Advert.

That's another one I'd forgotten about. Now I remember we used to quote it as kids! Can't find the 'Roy, m'boy' crisp ads.

Already posted the (original) Gordon Kaye proto-Rene Bran Flakes song ad, here's another one:

Bran Flakes.

Sadly, I can't find the holiday one with "a toucan did a tinkle in your tea!"

Another, non-song Bran Flakes... "One step at a time, Martin!":

Kelloggs Bran Flakes UK TV ad 1993.

1991 Cornflakes Forgotten How Good Advert.

Kellogg's Ricicles Magic Space Mask Advert (Claymation).

Forgot about Ricicles.

Cadbury's Fruit and Nut.

Mental, that.

Daley Thompson Lucozade advert. 1985 UK advert.

I thought he did an ad for Bran Flakes or Start cereal or something too, but I can't find anything so that's y'lot.

Courts Advert featuring Bruce Forsyth, circa 1996.

Nice to see Brucie in an advert, to see Brucie in an advert, nice!

Can't find any 'Ah, that's Bass' ads.

SpiderChrist

Dirty Boy

Ah, it could be. Hadn't considered that for some reason.

Can anyone name this one: Two backpackers are being stalked by a howling wolf creature. They enter a slaughtered lamb-style pub and the landlord walks up and tears down the silhouette of the 'monster' revealing a small placid terrier. I'm guessing it was for some lager, but it used to scare me silly as a 28 year old child.

It wasn't until i saw American Werewolf many years later that i realised it was a parody of that very film.