Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:43:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

An all new classic ads thread!

Started by Glebe, November 11, 2020, 11:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

There's an Abbey National one which is a bit similar to what you're describing:

Alan Davies tops up his coffers.

Dirty Boy

Hmmm, similar in as much as it's nothing like the description i suppose.

Ah shit, what is it?

Glebe

Vidal Sassoon Wash & Go Shampoo Ad 1990.

Take two bottles into the shower? Fuck off!

Bodyform - Whoooa Bodyforrm For You - UK Advert.

And here it is waking up Mr. Bean.

Fyffes Bananas Advert (1988).

"Bananas like these don't grow on trees!" Scatman Crothers-a-like there.

Forgot about Chiquita Bananas, there was ad that may have been for them that I can't find with an annoying song with the line "a spot with a lady in a hat!" or summit.

Glebe

Some Billy Connolly Kaliber ads:

1986 Billy Connolly "Kaliber Brewed by Guinness"" TV ad.

Billy Connolly KALIBER 0 BEER Add.

Billy Connolly Kaliber Advert 1992.

Kaliber Billy Connolly.

Lisa JMC mentioned these ads featuring Mike Berry in the current Are You Being Served? thread... now I remember!:

Blue Riband - 1984 UK TV advert.

Blue Riband - 1985 UK TV advert.

How could I forget 54321? Here's one with Ted Rogers!

The YouTube suggested videos is helpful for throwing up memories... I remember loving Breakaway bars and this advert rings a bell.

And this ad for Rowntree's Secret is vaguely familiar... featuring Gina McKee!

Another bell-ringer, Sun-pat peanut butter!

Partridge's mate, turkey magnate Bernard Matthews in one of his 'bootiful' ads... Christopher Lee has let himself go!

The National Lottery - "It could be you!" (1994).

Another Monster Munch advert.

petril

Quote from: Glebe on November 16, 2020, 09:50:30 AM
Vidal Sassoon Wash & Go Shampoo Ad 1990.

Take two bottles into the shower? Fuck off!

Punt and Dennis doing a gag about the ad featuring people going through everyone's lockers at the leisure centre, on the Mary Whitehouse Experience

Glebe

Quote from: petrilTanaka on November 19, 2020, 12:34:19 PMPunt and Dennis doing a gag about the ad featuring people going through everyone's lockers at the leisure centre, on the Mary Whitehouse Experience

Oh yeah! You've jogged me memory, they also parodied the "Nicole?" "Papa!" Renault Clio ad and I remember Punt making fun of the Weetabix gang ("a thug in the breakfast bowl!").

Famous Mortimer brought up this Natwest ad featuring Ade Edmondson before... here's a variant on it with a punk girl added to the opening.

There was also this:

Friends Provident Advert - Featuring Half of the The Young Ones (1990).

And this:

Castrol Ad 2000 featuring Nigel Planer as Neil from 'The Young Ones".

Oh yeah, I can't recall actually seeing any of these as a kid but they're worth posting:

1980s Atari advert featuring Morecambe and Wise.

1980s Atari advert featuring Morecambe and Wise (and Trevor Brooking!).

Atari 2600 commercial with Morecambe & Wise - 1982.

MORECAMBE & WISE ATARI GAMES CONSOLE TV ADVERT LWT 1980s.

Oh yeah, anyone remember this Kleenex ad? The music (the Intermezzo from Pietro Mascagni's opera Cavalleria rusticana, thanks Wiki), is famous for it's use as the main theme to Raging Bull.

Oh yeah, the Andrex Puppy... there was also one featuring the voice Keith Allen, apparently (I thought it was Rik Mayall at the time).

Flash Advert compilation featuring Karl Howman.

There was also an add for something with a man talking to his parrot, going "Talk to daddy!"... and another one where a guy takes a break from a party by hiding in the loo and ends up unspooling the toilet roll... any help?

I raised this ages ago in another thread, but if anyone can locate the old (late 70s-early 80s) ad for (I think) the Royal Marines (?) where they use one of those helicopter-in-a-swimming-pool simulator things to dunk the squaddies, then please post the link and I shall be your friend forever.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteI thought he did an ad for Bran Flakes or Start cereal or something too, but I can't find anything so that's y'lot.

That, Glebe ol' boy, is because the Start ads were in fact bagged by Steve Cram, that runner who - like Sebastian Coe - was the Great White Hope for British runners and all over the place for about three months, then gone like a moth's fart. I found this one, but Cram did - or at least lent his face -  to one other, an almost Red Box-esque affair where his gurning gob grins at us out of a TV screen to eat a spoonful of Start. This one's nowhere near as interesting, he just runs around some landscape like a bit of a prat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOzxmghX9Es

idunnosomename

Quote from: dr beat on November 11, 2020, 01:16:40 PM
Well of course we need to represent Viv Stanshall...wot no Mr Cadbury's Parrot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uPzoh4oS1I

could never have Mr Cadbury's Parrot invading female-only spaces like that now.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That ad was also later re-edited to show the pianist looking fucked off at Mr. Cadbury's parrot, rather than having his face flattened by the piano lid. The original must have disturbed younger viewers, I'm guessing.

Glebe

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on November 22, 2020, 01:50:28 AMThat, Glebe ol' boy, is because the Start ads were in fact bagged by Steve Cram, that runner who - like Sebastian Coe - was the Great White Hope for British runners and all over the place for about three months, then gone like a moth's fart. I found this one, but Cram did - or at least lent his face -  to one other, an almost Red Box-esque affair where his gurning gob grins at us out of a TV screen to eat a spoonful of Start. This one's nowhere near as interesting, he just runs around some landscape like a bit of a prat.

Ah right, cheers CT! That ticks all the '80s boxes, tinkling synth music, overly-serious voiceover, curly-haired runner...

Fosters Lager Adverts featuring Paul Hogan.

No, I didn't bother watching through all that. Nor did I sit through this:

Castlemaine XXXX adverts.

Original Budweiser Clydesdale Commercial.

The king is calling!

Budweiser Christmas Advert 1987.

Guinness Christmas Ad.

Heineken ad advert 1996 kangaroo commercial.

I remember wondering who did the song used in that at the time (it's Men at Work's 'Down By the Sea').

Coke 'Holidays are coming' ad.

Sorry for advertising Coke.

Corn Flakes Christmas ad.

Stop eating all our cornflakes Santa you prick.

Chollis posted a Frosties ad already, but here's one that's more familiar to me:

Frosties skiing ad.

Dairylea advert 1990.

I'd forgotten about that!

Magic Roundabout Laughing Cow Cheese British TV Commercial.

I not sure I remember that, but I can't find any other decent Laughing Cow ones.

MB Simon.

Ideal Games Ad - Ker Plunk And Buckaroo (1977 UK) PAL.

Jon Pertwee!

1976 & 1987 MB Operation.

Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Aero - Think Bubbles.

Another one I'd forgotten about there.

Aero wallpaper ad.

Annoying.

Solvite.

Kwik Fit.

You can't get better than a Kwit Fit fitter!

Hammerite.

It's gotta be right with Hammerite, on iron, on iron!

Fr.Bigley

Can't really go wrong with that advert for Mr Brains Pork Lousy Faggots in a west cuntry gravy. Circa Christmas 91' starring Chubby brown and Jim Davidson.

I'll set the scene, Your man Chubby is has been Booted out of the marital home on Xmas eve after calling his mother in law a "Daft fuckin' splitarse" one too many times and his wife has had enough, meanwhile across town, Davidson is getting a pasting at a Caribbean centre because he's dropped more than a few "coloured" jokes . Chubby finds himself wandering the streets of Sunderland looking through the windows of people having plates of chips and corned beef and hes salivating at the cosy scene. He thinks about maybe going home but the thought of apologising is too much for old chubbs and he's rather freeze to death in dock yards staring wistfully out across the water he hears a voice of a man who had also solemnly wandered around the Xmas eve streets....

"It's the blacks that ruined Christmas" Davidson quietly quips..

"As much as yer fookin right mate, It's the split arses as well ya know" Exclaimed chubby..

they both look at each other and as Santa streaks across the sky they realise that together, they could be a legendary double act on the northern social club scene...we see a vignette of the two sat around drinking thunderbird outside the big Asda whilst scrawling some basic double act material together..Chubby rushes home with Jim excitedly and as soon as his missus opens the door he apologises and scream "christmas is saved"..Hurries her into the living room and delivers Brown&Davidson for the first time...

"Well, What do ya think lass?" asks Chubby

"total shite, and who's he?" says Mrs Brown

CB: "Well you can just fook off you fat ugly c...."

MB: "GET OUT MA FOOKIN HOOSE"

CB: "fine but I want my dinner first love am starving and Jim's starving too"

JD: "Is that just a deep tan or are you?"

MB: "fuck off the pair of ya, you can eat it outside"

As Mrs Brown urges them out the door we see them sitting on the door step looking glum until Mrs Brown hands them a piping hot tray of Pork Faggots leading to Jim to joke "Only faggots round here eh chubbs" which Brown erupts into laughter and shoves the meatball in his mouth, burning it in the process "Fuckin hot cunt". it starts to snow an the colour grade becomes grey scale and an overlay for Mr Brains pork faggots appears stating:

Two wrongs don't make a right, but our faggots prove otherwise

Fin

petril

if we can allow trailers, and anyone can find that BBC Knowledge/general BBC educational output with neil at the end for some reason(in about 2000!), it'd be good to see it again

Rizla

The one that was always on every ITV ad break after midnight in the early 90s, bloke going through customs, customs man finds teddy bear, bloke explains (via flashback) that he got it off a bird in a nightclub, customs man cuts it open and a load of diamonds fall out, bloke is led away to jail, forever - ends with shot of nightclub bird cutting more "diamonds" off a lampshade fringe thing. That made NO FUCKING SENSE AT ALL, did it? Why nightclub bird want bloke go jail? How customs man know diamonds in teddy? Why customs man not able tell diamonds plastic shite? Why bloke even take teddy? Still annoys me.

Quote from: Rizla on November 23, 2020, 04:56:00 PM
The one that was always on every ITV ad break after midnight in the early 90s, bloke going through customs, customs man finds teddy bear, bloke explains (via flashback) that he got it off a bird in a nightclub, customs man cuts it open and a load of diamonds fall out, bloke is led away to jail, forever - ends with shot of nightclub bird cutting more "diamonds" off a lampshade fringe thing. That made NO FUCKING SENSE AT ALL, did it? Why nightclub bird want bloke go jail? How customs man know diamonds in teddy? Why customs man not able tell diamonds plastic shite? Why bloke even take teddy? Still annoys me.

That sounds like some one-off parody on some LOLRANDOM show of the era (maybe TV Squash or Dare to Believe).  Here's the original thing I think you're talking about, a PIF from 1993:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RANEcIhAFe8

non capisco

Quote from: Glebe on November 19, 2020, 11:51:48 AM
How could I forget 54321?

Rik Mayall doing some early jobbing work as the astronaut, there. It says 1982 but that must have been filmed before The Young Ones aired.

buzby

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on November 22, 2020, 01:50:28 AM
That, Glebe ol' boy, is because the Start ads were in fact bagged by Steve Cram, that runner who - like Sebastian Coe - was the Great White Hope for British runners and all over the place for about three months, then gone like a moth's fart. I found this one, but Cram did - or at least lent his face -  to one other, an almost Red Box-esque affair where his gurning gob grins at us out of a TV screen to eat a spoonful of Start. This one's nowhere near as interesting, he just runs around some landscape like a bit of a prat.

Des Lynham on the VO there. The other Cram one you are talking about is here (with kid Jensen on VO duties)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IkpiT4XxOM

To be fair to Cram, he won the 1500m  gold in the 1982 Commonwealth Games and European Championships, 1983 World Championships silver in the 1984 Olympics and set multiple records.. He then went on to a long career as a commutator for the BBC, so he was hardly a flash in the pan.

The Scottish cyclist Robert Millar (4th in the 1984 Tour De France and King Of The Mountains, 2nd in the 1985 and 1986 Vuelta a 'Espana and  2nd in the 1987 Giro D'Italia and King Of The Mountains) also did ads for Kelloggs' Start after his TdF success (which must have took some persuading for the normally publicity-shy Scot). Kelloggs also sponsored the Tour Of Britain at that time too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExsodUqu8t0

buzby

Quote from: non capisco on November 24, 2020, 11:00:09 PM
Rik Mayall doing some early jobbing work as the astronaut, there. It says 1982 but that must have been filmed before The Young Ones aired.
The name was trademarked by UB/McVities in November 1979, I think the product was launched in 1980 which would seem a better fit as that was around when he started doing work as an extra.

non capisco

That makes sense as it ties in timewise with his wordless appearance in An American Werewolf In London. I'm guessing his Kevin Turvey appearances on A Kick Up The Eighties would have been filmed just after these.

ProvanFan

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: non capisco on November 24, 2020, 11:00:09 PM

I remember someone writing into " Smash Hits" at the time, saying " That's yer man Rik Mayall, isn't it?. Oh, by the way, where's the cougar matey, ha ha ha isn't that funny, bet that's got yer deely boppers shaking with laughter", and the letters editor ( think it was Andrew Neil or Harold Evans, someone like that, at the time) replying ( seriously, not joking around), that they'd got in touch with Rik Mayall, and he said it wasn't him.
Stalinist CV revision from the budding young star Mayall there, it's clearly him, innit?

buzby

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 25, 2020, 08:26:39 AM
I remember someone writing into " Smash Hits" at the time, saying " That's yer man Rik Mayall, isn't it?. Oh, by the way, where's the cougar matey, ha ha ha isn't that funny, bet that's got yer deely boppers shaking with laughter", and the letters editor ( think it was Andrew Neil or Harold Evans, someone like that, at the time) replying ( seriously, not joking around), that they'd got in touch with Rik Mayall, and he said it wasn't him.
Stalinist CV revision from the budding young star Mayall there, it's clearly him, innit?
He owned up to it in a 1993 interview with GQ:
Quote from: Rik Mayall
I did do a commercial for a chocolate bar called 54321 when I first started, but I don't do them now. To be honest, it makes me feel a bit unclean. I feel I always need to be able to communicate immediately with an audience. If they see me telling a lie for money, I lose a lot of their trust.
That attitude would change not long afterwards when he started doing ads for Nintendo, Virgin Trains and Bombardier Bitter, not to mention appearing in the 'No to the Euro' and No2AV political campaign ads.

Glebe

You know what, I was thinking, "That can't be Rik Mayall, surely?" in the 54321 ad, and now I'm thinking I might have argued with a friend about it as as kid!

Posted the Maureen Potter BT ads, DangledTeeth's thread in H.S. Art has reminded me to post the Bob Hoskins ones. Fuck knows how I forgot to stick them up. It's good to talk!

The Big Yellow Teapot (Briers voiceover!) and Connect 4 among this lot:

British VINTAGE TOYS & GAMES ADVERTS from Tiswas on ATV 22nd Nov 1980.

Ambrosia Creamed Rice advert (animated cat) 1980s.

Devon knows how they make it so creamy!

Ambrosia 'Go West'.

That bloke has got to have been an extra in Hot Fuzz, I mean come on.

I remember a Play Doh ad with kids squeezing Play Doh out of these monsters faces or summit, seems to be this, though I remember a different thing!

petril

jamiefairlie

Watching those old toy adverts reminded me of that weird sensation of watching what was clearly an American ad overdubbed with English voices, often done by adults trying to sound like children.

Dirty Boy

Remember this cunt?

YERBUYONEYERGETONEFREEISEHYERBUYONEYERGETONEFREE.

Just looked him up and it turns out he got done for tax evasion. Good. Fucking foghorn voiced chimp.

Quote from: Dirty Boy on November 15, 2020, 03:01:31 PM
Can anyone name this one: Two backpackers are being stalked by a howling wolf creature. They enter a slaughtered lamb-style pub and the landlord walks up and tears down the silhouette of the 'monster' revealing a small placid terrier. I'm guessing it was for some lager, but it used to scare me silly as a 28 year old child.

It wasn't until i saw American Werewolf many years later that i realised it was a parody of that very film.
Still keen to know what this was. I got it into my head it was for Carling with the two blokes from the Young Ones, but it isn't one that appears to be online.