Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:31:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

An all new classic ads thread!

Started by Glebe, November 11, 2020, 11:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Darles Chickens on November 24, 2020, 02:45:59 PM
That sounds like some one-off parody on some LOLRANDOM show of the era (maybe TV Squash or Dare to Believe).  Here's the original thing I think you're talking about, a PIF from 1993:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RANEcIhAFe8

I remember that and being worried it could happen to me one day, even though I was like 9 or 10 years old when it was aired. I seem to vaguely recall around that time on Kilroy or The Time The Place or summat who had this couple on whose son had gone travelling in Asia, met a girl in a bar on his first night in a new country and spent a fair bit of time with her during his short stay there. However, it was a honeytrap plot to smuggle drugs into the next nation he was visiting. I think that was done through a teddy bear as well, the country that he got caught in had sentenced him to death and seemed hell-bent on it, the British consulate were trying to get him out or at the very least off death row and Interpol were trying to find out who the girl was. Can't find anything about it online as to the case or what happened to him (searches just bring up the story of that University prof a few years back who ended up going to Bolivia to pick a bag up for his bikini model fiancé who didn't actually exist, the bag had two kilos of coke hidden in the lining), really grim stuff though.

Anyway, back on track with the thread... the woman who sung "Triiiiio, Triiiiio, I wanna Trio and I want one now" also sung "Wooooooah Bodyforrrrm."

Here's an advert with a needlessly very shouty British Bulldog for the Daily Mirror and a Burger King promotion, in the comments section there's one by the guy who was young lad in the commercial which is really rather nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKtztBjwCvQ

Glebe

Quote from: Darles Chickens on November 24, 2020, 02:45:59 PMThat sounds like some one-off parody on some LOLRANDOM show of the era (maybe TV Squash or Dare to Believe).  Here's the original thing I think you're talking about, a PIF from 1993:

Oh fuck I remember now, nightmarish!

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 25, 2020, 08:01:43 PMHenry Cooper has mad rhyming skillz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9C-YjJtxaY

Not sure I remember this particuarly, but here's one with a young Ian Botham. Christopher Ryan as the chef, and the old concierge is in The Crimson Permanent Assurance, I think? There was that whole joke thing about managing to eat three Shredded Wheat in the '80s.

Quote from: petrilTanaka on November 25, 2020, 10:16:52 PM"MARKET!"
"stop shouting"
"I CAN'T!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrC6Xbm8_3M

Oh yeah!

Quote from: Yussef Dent on November 26, 2020, 02:19:47 PMAnyway, back on track with the thread... the woman who sung "Triiiiio, Triiiiio, I wanna Trio and I want one now" also sung "Wooooooah Bodyforrrrm."

Crikey! More ad trivia, according to the Internet, the Bran Flakes, Cadbury's Flake, Coco Pops and Kwik Fit 'fitter' tunes were all composed by original Troggs drummer Ronnie Bond!

Some more ads that had somehow slipped my mind... there's so many!:

Here's the full whack of those controversial PG Tips chimps ads, and the later "Monkey!" ones while I'm about it... not that I've sat through that lot.

Bachelors Super Noodles 1982.

Last Rolo Advert. Classic!

How'd I forget about Rolo ad, ffs? Here's a later notable one with an elephant.

1982 Ready Brek Central Heating for Kids Advert.

Mr Kipling Cakes Classic Vintage British Tv Ad.

He does make exceedingly good cakes, the baking bastard!

McVitie's Jaffa Cakes Early Munchkins advert 1981.

I'd forgotten about them Munchkin fucks! Animated by the same folks who did that Cadbury's Caramel ad?

KP Peanuts Nibbles Will Strike Poirot 1985 UK Advert.

Tunes!

1985 - Persil Automatic [Every Little Thing].

1986 - Persil Automatic [Out On The Street].

1986 - Persil Automatic [What Stuff].

Dulux paint TV advert from the 1980's.

RUSS ABBOTT CASTELLA CIGARS TV ADVERT 1990 golf theme THAMES TV HD 1080P.

And here's another couple of Abbot cigar ads, featuring a surprize guest! (Although it kinda gives it away in the video title.)

Lockets Advert Farmer 1984 (OLD Adverts).

Asda arse pat.

Tesco - Every Little Helps.

Prunella Scales!

2001: Ariel Color Liqui-tabs [Goth].

That's another annoying series of ads on my mind!

TV Advert: Knorr (1993).

Some Crunchy Nut ads... sadly, I can't find the Richard Briers "Haney, nats and brown shugah, drenched in ice cold mulk!" voiceover one!:

Kellogg's Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes Advert (1987).

Kellogg's crunchy nut cornflakes advert 1988.

Angus Deayton getting the paycheck for that.

Kelloggs Crunchy Nut Cornflake advert from 1990s.

Absolutely's Gordon Kennedy there!

Crunchy Nut Cornflakes 1990 TV advert.

Crunchy Nut Cornflakes - 1991 UK Advert.

Kelloggs - Crunchy Nut - Flush Him Out - UK Advert.

Advert for Kelloggs Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (1997).

Sting. It's Sting.

Kellogg's Crunchy Nut 2002 UK Advert.

2004 Crunchy Nut Clusters Car Advert.

2011 Crunchy Nut Clusters Bruce Bowls Advert.

Rob Brydon, natch.

Harry Enfield Ad for Dime Bar 1992.

Harry Enfield Ad for Dime Bar 1992 part 2.

Harry Enfield Dime Bar Ad -Wrong Trolley.

Harry Enflied - The Missing Dime Bar Advert.

I thought I'd already posted an Enfield/Whitehouse Self-Righteous Brothers Hula Hoops ad but apparently not, here's a whole slew of 'em:

angry frank hula hoops.

Hula Hoops Oi! Advert Kylie Minogue 1996.

Hula Hoops Oi! No! Advert Schofield 1996.

Hula Hoops Oi! No! Advert Damon Albarn Blur 1996.

Hula Hoops Oi! No! Advert 1996 (on Naomi Campbell).

Hula Hoops Oi! No! Advert Bob Holness 1996.

Hula Hoops Big Os Oi! No! Advert 1998.

Hula Hoops Oi! No! Advert - Elizabeth the 1st 1998.

Hula Hoops Oi! No! Advert - Torqmada Spanish Inquisition 1998.

Golden Wonder Pot Noodle (1993) Phil Hartman Adverts.

Pot Noodle - Men's Prison (1998, UK).

Peter Baynham - "Too Gorgeous" Pot Noodle ads.

I'd forgotten about those, wouldn't have known who Peter Baynham was at the time!

1995 Shreddies Hunger Locked Up Fisherman Advert.

1997 Shreddies Keep Hunger Locked Up Romeo and Juliet Advert.

Shreddies: Ding Dong (Knitted by Nanas).

Leslie Phillips!

Birds Eye Polar Bear adverts.

Rather incredibly, the polar bear is voiced by
Spoiler alert
Willem Dafoe!
[close]

Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Here's another Tizer ad, featuring The Oblivion Boys.

Few more Irish ads:

ESB 'Night Saver'.

Uses Desmond Dekker's 'Israelites', a la that Vitalite ad!

5050 Cashback.

Gotta Getta Gateaux TV Ad 1995.

Can't find one of the original 'Gotta getta Gateaux' ads, so that will have to do.

There was an ad with a jingle that went 'blah blah blah, in a Tahiti shower!', cannae find it, this seems like the same product!

A few more I can't find... there was an old ad that used the Albert Hammond song 'I'm a Train', which I remember my brother used to sing... I think there were swans on a lake in it, thought I found it on YouTube before but it's not there now!

Also an ad for SMA milk or summit with a bloke in a vest with an Australian accent feeding a baby and going, "Isn't he great?"

And an Irish ad for Dulux Weathershield with weird '80s synth music... and an ad for a toy castle (Fisher Price?) with a toy king going "Good morning everyone!" and a little girl replying "Morning!" I know, weird.

Oh yeah and a toothpaste ad featuring a young Armando Iannucci!

buzby

Quote from: Glebe on November 26, 2020, 09:25:31 PM
Golden Wonder Pot Noodle (1993) Phil Hartman Adverts.
The video used in the original PotTV ad was made from clips of Stakker's Eurotechno longform music video. It was banned by the ASA after complaints of it causing seizures. A re-edit of the ad was then made with the speed of the cuts reduced but that got banned too. That resulted in the killer wig version being made.
Peter Baynham - "Too Gorgeous" Pot Noodle ads.
I'd forgotten about those, wouldn't have known who Peter Baynham was at the time!
They debuted in September 1995 after he had appeared in the first series of Fist of Fun (broadcast over April-May). There's an Independent article about him made during the FoF tour in November 1995 (where he was the support act as his character Peter)  that talks about him being beseiged by fans af the ads.

Golden E. Pump

Quote from: Dirty Boy on November 26, 2020, 01:38:38 PM
Still keen to know what this was. I got it into my head it was for Carling with the two blokes from the Young Ones, but it isn't one that appears to be online.

It's not this is it?

1996 Vodafone ad featuring none other than Kyle fucking Maclachlan.

Dirty Boy

No, although i don't remember ever seeing that! It's definately mining/ripping off the same idea, but the one i'm thinking of is much older, i'd say mid to late 80's.

Thanks for trying though, it's doing my head in.

Glebe

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on November 27, 2020, 08:45:38 AMPot Noodle's short-lived "Slag of all snacks" campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_6GGDhHzKI

That seems vaguely familiar. Aiming for the post-watershed demographic there.

Quote from: buzby on November 27, 2020, 10:39:51 AMThe video used in the original PotTV ad was made from clips of Stakker's Eurotechno longform music video. It was banned by the ASA after complaints of it causing seizures. A re-edit of the ad was then made with the speed of the cuts reduced but that got banned too. That resulted in the killer wig version being made.

They debuted in September 1995 after he had appeared in the first series of Fist of Fun (broadcast over April-May). There's an Independent article about him made during the FoF tour in November 1995 (where he was the support act as his character Peter)  that talks about him being beseiged by fans af the ads.

Aha, thanks for the info on both counts.

Frank Butcher Oasis Advert.

Forgot to post that. There were other ads in that series of course, but that's the one I remember.

Oh yeah, Lenny Henry's Premier Inn ads.

Glebe

Grace Jones for Citroën.

Another one I forgot to post... and here's the Spitting Image pisstake.

Not sure I recall this but it's worth posting:

Honda Scooters - Adam Ant & Grace Jones (HQ video).

I can't find any Berger Paint, "Berger, you're lookin' good!"  ads, but here's one I'm not familiar with... featuring the voice of George Melly (apparently) and an appearance from Mike Berry!:

Berger Piant 'Who Makes the Paint' 1979.mp4.

Red Bull gives you wings ads.

A Jim Carrey one added in there that I've never seen before.

Cookie Crisp cunt.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

QuoteHarry Enfield Ad for Dime Bar 1992.

Harry Enfield Ad for Dime Bar 1992 part 2.

Harry Enfield Dime Bar Ad -Wrong Trolley.

Harry Enflied - The Missing Dime Bar Advert.

Dime bar became an insult at primary school for somebody who was being a bit thick. You'd wave an imaginary Dime Bar in front of their face, then go "Dime Bar? Diiiime Baar?". This was usually followed up by one of your friends saying "That blokes a nutter!".

petril

buzby

Quote from: Glebe on December 01, 2020, 06:15:49 PM
Grace Jones for Citroën.
Directed by her partner at the time, the director and artist Jean-Paul Goude, who did her sleeve art and videos. Parts of it were reused in her Slave To The Rhythm music video (which was basically a supercut from her video and performance art work to that point) a year after the ad campaign, also directed by Goude.
Not sure I recall this but it's worth posting:
Honda Scooters - Adam Ant & Grace Jones (HQ video).
It was part of a mid 80s US/Canada-only campaign for the Honda Elite scooter featuring musicians, which is probably why you don't remember it. Here another one featuring Ms Jones solo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceYcOZPTuBI
Miles Davis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swf8XtvFmAw
Devo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IT8-wY3z1k
The most famous and influential one (in the ad world at least) was the last one, featuring famous motorbike fan Lou Reed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK6y9_0gsEg

On the subject of classic Honda ads, Antoine Bardou-Jacquet's 'Cog' ad for the Accord from 2003 is probably the standout (even though it was a ripoff off the 1987 film The Way Things Go by the Swiss artists Peter Fischli and David Weiss)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxHulo8vX8s
There's a bonus 'making of' video too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOY4JThl1Bs
The full 2-minute version was only shown on TV a handful of times.

Quote from: Darles Chickens on November 24, 2020, 02:45:59 PM
That sounds like some one-off parody on some LOLRANDOM show of the era (maybe TV Squash or Dare to Believe).  Here's the original thing I think you're talking about, a PIF from 1993:

The guy in that looks like Billy Magnussen, but he was only 8 years old in 1993.

Glebe

Mars advert 1992.

I can't believe I forgot 'A Mars a day helps you work rest and play'!

Midland Bank griffin commercials.

Griffin voiced by Briers!

Cadbury's drinking chocolate advert 1982.

To be honest I can only remember the Cadbury's chocolate cup rather than that ad in particular.

Horlicks Extra Malt Advert 1984.

"I hate Sebastian Coe!" I'm not sure I recall that particular ad. I never liked the taste of Horlicks actually.

Elmlea Cream Advert - 1 (1991).

Another one dredged from the memory banks.

Brian Conley Radio Rentals wedding ad.

And here's another Conley 'Get contented, get Radio Rented', ad:

UK Radio Rentals Advert - Mobile Phones (1994).

Couple more Rolo ads:

UK Rolo Advert - Just Married (1994).

Rolo TV Advert - the one with Skippy the kangaroo!

Barclaycard: Starring Rowan Atkinson.

Those ads were the genesis of Johnny English, of course.

Go Compare ads.

Howard Brown Adverts Compilation.

The Famous Grouse 39 TV Adverts Past & Present.

B&Q TV Advert 1986 "You can do it when you B&Q it!".

Homebase advert Neil Morrissey advert 1999.

There are more Morrissey/Leslie Ash Homebase ads of course but I can't be arsed postin' 'em.

UK Tampax Advert - New Tampax Compak (1994).

Dr. Alban's 'It's My Life' there.

Also, here's an ad for Courts featuring The Fast Show's Paul Shearer.

There were these Irish Maxwell House ads featuring a kind of Joe Cocker soundalike, but I can't find them.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I didn't know Nicholas Lyndhurst had made quite so many of those W. H .Smith's ads, but I * do* remember how much he looked like Tracey Thorn when playing the wifie/ mum character.

Glebe

Had completely forgotten about the Listerine ads with Clifford the Dragon, voiced by Willy Rushton. Voiceover sounds like the recently-departed Geoffrey Palmer. Animation courtesy of the Richard Williams Studio, apparently:

Listerine Advert 1 (Clifford The Dragon) 1985.

Listerine Advert 2 (Clifford The Dragon) 1985.

Listerine Advert (Eddie!).

Listerine - Clifford - 1990 - UK Advert.

All the Peperami ads, featuring the voice of Ade Edmondson:

Every Peperami Commercial.

Does anyone remember an animated ad with a kid with a Native American headdress, then it shows him grown up and he chases a girl going, "Geronimo!" Can't remember what it was advertising.

Glebe

Glebe

We've had the Neil Innes 'Magic Moments' Quality Street ads, here's a couple of others:

Quality Street all the fun of the share.

QUALITY STREET TV ADVERT 1986 chocolate and toffee assortment THAMES TELEVISION HD 1080P.

Several Angel Delight ads on YouTube, here's one that kinda rings a bell:

Angel delight advert 1983.

Ad here's a couple with Hugh Laurie voiceover:

Angel delight advert 1988.

Birds angel delight advert 1988.

Cherry Coke Commercial 1986 'Turns Your World Upside Down'.

Doesn't get much more '80s than that.

Fido Dido cunt.

7UP are still using that twat in their advertising.

Werther's Original commercial from the 80s.

"Sweet and creamy and uncommonly good!"

Wrigley's Spearmint Gum advert.

Wrigley's gum 'bus journey' advert 1990.

Drifter chocolate bar ad - BSB, Nov 1990.

Drifter Chocolate Bar Advert - Mechanic (1991).

Skittles - Taste the Rainbow of Fruit Flavours (1990, UK).

Skittles Taste The Rainbow.

Mmmm, Danone!

Can't find the "Heavy on the Miracle Whip, Harry!" ad with Jim Carter, strangely enough.

There was an ad with some guy waiting for a girl outside a cinema and they end up missing each other, can't remember what it was for, some soft drink or something.

Oh yeah and an Irish ad for some gravy (Knorr? Erin?) that used Cole Porter's 'You're the Top' for it's jingle...  went "You're the top, for a Sunday dinner... you're the top, for a weekday winner," or something.

Also another Irish (I think) ad for something that riffed on Disney's Snow White, with cartoon birds helping some woman in the kitchen.

Glebe

Gulftastic

I've heard rumour of a second animated Um Bongo ad. Is there any evidence?

Glebe

Glebe

Another series of popular Irish TV ads I'd forgotten about, for Batchelor's Beans, featuring Barney and Beany...  I remember the fat posh one doing the slogan, "The finest beans in Ireland!" but it's not in any of these ads:

RTE Advert for Batchelors Baked Beans RTE 1982.

Batchelors - It's the way that we do it featuring Barney & Beany.

Batchelors Baked Beans - Barney and Beany - Easi Beans.

Batchelors 80th Celebration - Beans on Toast - Barney and Beany.

And - shock! - one for peas! Crazy times!:

Batchelor's Peas advert Beany & Barney 1980.

(It's Beany and Barney, mate, stop getting Batchelor's wrong!)

Gurke and Hare

Norton Canes

At last! The David Platt Tic Tac advert has surfaced on YT.

A cut-down version, at least. I'm sure there's a longer one where he does more ball tricks. Anyway the important thing is that we get a glimpse of that fantastic Tic Tac jersey.

gib

kid wants/gets new bike which is a racer, elder relative starts some gammon ode to the olden days when bikes didn't have a 'saddle like a razor blade'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJk6bkjgko

found it on youtube fuckit post

petril

if anyone knows if the old Vodafone "don't phone, VONE" ads from back when they still had the orangey font are around, it'd be good to see them again.

a strange time when phones that weren't BT were odd, and there was no sign of ubiquitous mobile devices

Gurke and Hare

The other Birds Eye steakhouse grill advert with the footballer has turned up on Twitter! I've been looking out for this for ages, there's only been the one in the van online before. And the goalkeeper is Clive Mantle!

https://twitter.com/ukads3/status/1404015754685583361

Glebe

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 13, 2021, 11:28:02 AMThe other Birds Eye steakhouse grill advert with the footballer has turned up on Twitter! I've been looking out for this for ages, there's only been the one in the van online before. And the goalkeeper is Clive Mantle!

https://twitter.com/ukads3/status/1404015754685583361

Nice one GaH, I'd actually forgotten about that!