Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:44:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

James Acaster 2020 0 Live streaming Cold Lasagne I Hate Myself 1999

Started by boxmatt, November 11, 2020, 06:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxmatt

Saw this and thought it looks great, if quite pricey for a livestream

"On December 17th 2019, I, James Acaster, filmed my 2019 tour show COLD LASAGNE HATE MYSELF 1999 at EartH in Hackney. It was a show about the best year of my life (1999) and the worst year of my life (2017), I wore a very nifty jacket for it and I looked extremely cool. But then in 2020 the entire world changed and the release of this show got heavily delayed. But now, on December 17th 2020 - exactly a year to the day since it was filmed - I will finally be premiering the recorded version of COLD LASAGNE HATE MYSELF 1999 via the medium of Live Streaming on DICE and I could not be happier. I also couldn't be prouder of everyone who made the release and filming of this show possible, it's my favourite thing I've ever done and I owe them a lot (of thanks and also money). The Live Stream will begin at 8pm UK time (GMT) but can be watched anywhere and will consist of an hour long first half, a twenty minute interval and an hour long second half just like we did every night on tour. Show contains no mention of lasagne. See you there!"

https://dice.fm/event/bp96x-james-acaster-cold-lasagne-hate-myself-1999-17th-dec-streaming-from-united-kingdom-london-tickets

The Mollusk

Well it's longer and cheaper than the Nick Cave thing so I reckon I'll get a ticket. Love this guy.

non capisco

Excellent. I've become a huge Acaster fan over the space of this year and was really hoping he'd filmed this show.

olliebean

Quote from: AcasterI will finally be premiering the recorded version of COLD LASAGNE HATE MYSELF 1999 via the medium of Live Streaming

Dunce doesn't know the difference between recorded and live.

Anyway much as I like Acaster this Dice nonsense can sod off with wanting my phone number before I can watch anything on it.

Spode

Really looking forward to this. Mentioned in another thread that I saw the show in Liverpool but he was at odds with the audience within about 20 minutes. I loved it because he went with it and ended up doing a 20 minute or so bit about people walking out and going to see the Eagles in the arena next door, but clearly didn't see at least half the planned material so will be good to see the whole show, as intended.

Hat FM

Quote from: Spode on November 12, 2020, 02:14:18 PM
Mentioned in another thread that I saw the show in Liverpool but he was at odds with the audience within about 20 minutes.

i think this happens at most acaster shows tbh.

does the fact that this is on dice mean that the netflix shows were not as great a success as hoped or did dice just win a bidding war?

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Hat FM on November 13, 2020, 10:21:19 AM
i think this happens at most acaster shows tbh.

He definitely did this at York. I thought it was a built-in part of the schtick, because as far as I could tell the audience were all on board, yet in interviews he complains about bad audiences, so I'm not sure anymore.

It's definitely been discussed on here before, but his panel show appearances mean that lads lads lads turn up to his shows expecting wisecracks when they actually get long, surreal routines and detailed stories about his mental health.

He should do a Kitson.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm assuming this won't be available on DVD before Christmas then. My sister is a big fan of him and I can't think of anything else to get her.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 13, 2020, 11:57:03 AM
I'm assuming this won't be available on DVD before Christmas then. My sister is a big fan of him and I can't think of anything else to get her.

You could email his agent asking for a signed autograph. I got one of my friends one from Matt LeTissier and he still talks about it fondly, and oddly that's not him or me being sarcastic.

notjosh

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 13, 2020, 11:57:03 AM

The Cloud of Unknowing

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 13, 2020, 11:52:11 AM
It's definitely been discussed on here before, but his panel show appearances mean that lads lads lads turn up to his shows expecting wisecracks when they actually get long, surreal routines and detailed stories about his mental health.

I'd kind of written him off as just another guy annoyingly vying for attention on panel shows until I saw his brilliant Repertoire gigs, so I'm looking forward to this.

Loved that band he was in as well.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: The Cloud of Unknowing on November 13, 2020, 12:39:19 PM
I'd kind of written him off as just another guy annoyingly vying for attention on panel shows until I saw his brilliant Repertoire gigs
I wasn't quite as enraptured by Repertoire as others seem to be, but that was basically my experience as well. I forget which panel show it was that I first saw him, but he seemed like a moody teenager.

To be fair, Panel shows aren't the best format for every comedian. Stewart Lee was notoriously shit on Never Mind the Buzzcocks, or whatever it was.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Hat FM on November 13, 2020, 10:21:19 AM

does the fact that this is on dice mean that the netflix shows were not as great a success as hoped or did dice just win a bidding war?

The fact this is streaming on Dice 'as live' with no option to replay it, suggests it may be destined for a streaming platform eventually.

Famous Mortimer

I used Dice for a Greg Dulli show a few months back, and the impression I got is they were a startup who were chucking money at people to get exclusive rights to their shows, then exploiting the contact information of the people who signed up, etc.

jimboslice

Dice has been around for a fair few years, and is actually pretty great. Almost always the cheapest place to buy tickets as there's no booking fee. They make it easy to return or pass on tickets too.

non capisco

Yeah, used Dice for years for booking gigs and never had a problem with it. Bought a ticket for the stream and can't wait to see it, even though I know the big personal life reveal at the heart of the show already.

As well as Off Menu are all the other Acastronauts on here listening his BBC Sounds music podcast 'James Acaster's Perfect Sounds'? It's pretty much my favourite podcast that isn't Chart Music at the moment (and considerably more bite sized). His obsessive love of music really comes across in the most engaging fashion.

up_the_hampipe

Saw a lot of live stand-up last year and this was definitely one of the best. I don't think I saw the final show though, as he did nothing about 1999. Looking forward to seeing the new stuff. His Mr. Bean bit is incredible.

boxmatt

I think i've heard him say it's nothing to do with what he intended it to be about. The 1999 material is about the best year of his life, listening to a CD walkman and watching a solar eclipse. I also get the feeling that he rarely did the full show as intended anyway (particularly when touring up north/ away from home) from what I've heard.

MigraineBoy

I saw the show twice - the first time 1999 wasn't mentioned & I thought the use of All Saints 'Never Ever' over the PA as we left was the choice of the venue. When I saw the show 2 months later there was a bunch of stuff about the 1999 eclipse & and the choice of track made sense.

up_the_hampipe

He did the second half about 2017, but the first half was about more recent events I think. Probably won't make it into this show, which is a shame because his Bake-Off material was great.

SteveDave

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 13, 2020, 11:52:11 AM

He should do a Kitson.

I went to see this show at whatever theatre he was doing it at on the Strand and in the row behind us were about 6 lads lads lads with identical Richard Spencer haircuts, brown shoes with no socks. They didn't laugh once and didn't come back for the second half.

mattjjh

The eclipse/1999/lasagne material that was part of the show at the beginning of its run did get filmed back in March https://www.plosive.co.uk/events/james-acaster-films-something-12-march-2019-late but it looks like this stream is from a show in December 2019, so hopefully that material is coming separately sometime.

peanutbutter

Does he still do panel shows? Surely he's had no reason to for at least 2-3 years at this stage if they're that destructive to how his live shows go

notjosh

Quote from: mattjjh on November 16, 2020, 12:37:18 PM
The eclipse/1999/lasagne material that was part of the show at the beginning of its run did get filmed back in March https://www.plosive.co.uk/events/james-acaster-films-something-12-march-2019-late but it looks like this stream is from a show in December 2019, so hopefully that material is coming separately sometime.

I saw a WIP a year or so ago (EDIT: February 2018!) and the best bit was about Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke - hope that got recorded somewhere.

Actually it wasn't a proper WIP, just a 40-minute headline set when he was supposed to be doing 20. It was amazing - easily the best set I've ever seen on a mixed bill.

DrGreggles

Just grabbed a ticket for this.
2 hours of Acaster for a tenner? I've had no better offers for a Thursday night.

non capisco

Like the fact the stream has started half an hour early with crowd noise. Almost feels like being at a gig!

Really looking forward to this.

shh

He's been watching Stewart Lee, hasn't he...
Probably doesn't help that the last gig I saw before COVID was Lee at the same venue.