Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:47:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Masterchef The Professionals 2020

Started by touchingcloth, November 11, 2020, 10:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on December 03, 2020, 07:42:28 PM
I had no idea honeycomb had honey in it.

I'm not sure it's necessary, given that Morpus' gave the ingredients as "some honey, some glucose, and, finally, some sugar". I reckon you could just skip the first two and and more of the third.

thugler

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 03, 2020, 12:27:06 PM
I see great British menu is back, minus that annoying Scottish idiot from last series

With some incredibly confusing format, and cuts every 0.5 seconds so it's nausea inducing for me. I don't really understand what's going on at times.

With regards to 'The Professionals' that canadian lady from Mull's food looked by far the most interesting to me out of those, shame she was booted out for presentation reasons (who cares honestly, they all do basically the same schtick to make things look pretty anyway)

dr beat

Yeah I thought Carla was unlucky and I would have liked to see more of her cooking.  It was a close heat though, Jamarr did a souffle, which is always a gamble but it came out well, so probably demonstrated superior technique.

I am developing something of an antipathy toward Bart.  Didn't they say he's the private chef of a no doubt wealthy London family?

wooders1978

Quote from: dr beat on December 04, 2020, 12:13:28 PM
Yeah I thought Carla was unlucky and I would have liked to see more of her cooking.  It was a close heat though, Jamarr did a souffle, which is always a gamble but it came out well, so probably demonstrated superior technique.

I am developing something of an antipathy toward Bart.  Didn't they say he's the private chef of a no doubt wealthy London family?

I suspect they may well be quite well to do - my private chef is gastropub levels at best

colacentral

"Interesting invention test for you all today, this dish has got to taste like the sky. We have a store cupboard full of ingredients from the sky."

"We don't get the sky on the isle of mull but, of course, I'm familiar with it."

touchingcloth

Quote from: dr beat on December 04, 2020, 12:13:28 PM

Loved the look of Carla's food, and I thought her presentation was attractive, just not particularly trendy. I'd have eaten both her courses over any of the others in the episode I reckon.

And yes, Bart was introduced as the private chef of a Chelsea family, so I'd called him a cunt within about five seconds of him first appearing on screen. I know I shouldn't hate him, but still, Bart, mate, you're a cunt. Fart, more like.

sevendaughters

Bart has definitely met several high net worth individuals.

Carla was robbed. It's where this show falls down in that it is centred around fine dining of a particular style. Like would they say to Fergus Henderson 'improve your presentation there' if he put down his roast bone marrow?

touchingcloth

What was it Fart grated on his first course? I kept hearing "ptarmigan", but I think later on whatever they were saying had a b in it.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 04, 2020, 08:37:50 PM
What was it Fart grated on his first course? I kept hearing "ptarmigan", but I think later on whatever they were saying had a b in it.

btarmigan

touchingcloth

bgmnts

That 'taste of the forest' brief seemed a bit shite to be honest. All that cultivated veg.

We've been agricultural for around 15,000 years, do you even get wild veg around woods anymore? I know you can forage mushrooms and herbs etc but veg?

Also, wtf is bespoke catering?

touchingcloth

The potatoes definitely won't be woodland varieties, and you're right that the only real food you're going to get from a forest is funghi, leaves, and berries, maybe some nuts.

sevendaughters

bgmnts

Dutch lad, Nepalese lad and Dave are the only ones I have any affinity towards.

I want to chuck Jono and Philli into a skip.

Also, this evenings episode was a bit crap. That indian chef got on my nerves a tad.

beanheadmcginty

I wish one of the judges on this was like me and absolutely fucking hated coriander, and every time anybody used coriander in their recipe they were immediately knocked out of the competition.

wooders1978

Fillys alright - she's sound, just a bit posh

Jonoh though - problematic

bgmnts

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 10, 2020, 05:54:03 PM
Fillys alright - she's sound, just a bit posh

Jonoh though - problematic

She's been travelling and does corporate cookery.

Also, she's been travelling. Have you been travelling? I haven't been travelling but she's been travelling.

wooders1978

I have not "been travelling" admittedly - I have gone on holiday though, so I relate to 'fills massively

Poobum

Jono is complete chef though, he tries unconventional flavour combos, which no other chef has done EVER.

Jerzy Bondov

Jono has a really bad vibe. If I peered into a restaurant kitchen and saw him back there I would immediately look up the hygiene rating and probably tell my wife to go and wait in the car.

touchingcloth

Jono just wanked into a dumpling while waggling his tongue at the camera.

touchingcloth

What are these compressed apples they always seem to make? Just smashed apples?

bgmnts

Brief: make a dumpling.
Jono: makes a not dumpling.

Everyone: WOW.

colacentral

Jono has the vibe of a bloke who would spot a girl blackout pissed go down an alley to be sick and follow her down there to chat her up.

I really hoped he'd fucked it when I saw he'd served some gunge inside a lemon.

dr beat

Jono and Bart are going to make the final aren't they? I hope there is someone else to root for, either Santosh or the Yorkshire wrestler bloke if he's still in it.

thugler

Please not filly or jono or bart, or that smug child faced one. Santosh to win please.

wooders1978

Bit of an underwhelming batch of chefs this season - nobody seems to be standout good - I see malt vinegar gel is this years frilly chef ponce thing

Jerzy Bondov

When I started watching this everything was being cooked in the sous vide but they barely break it out nowadays.

I can easily imagine Jono dispassionately watching Faces of Death.