Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Group Hug - it's ok to feel like shit

Started by MojoJojo, November 12, 2020, 10:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Only one person in the supermarket not respecting distancing when I was in there, but I nearly lost my temper when a bloke I walked past criticised me for keeping a 2m distance from him, saying "you don't need to move out that far". I'm trying to keep myself and him safe in case either of us have it. It's not a big deal but it did annoy me.

Shaky

Brisbane has been relatively OK in this whole mess but we've just gone into a hard three day lockdown. Nothing compared to you UK folk, I know, but I suddenly felt an intense prickle of fear earlier at the idea it could/likely will extend beyond that because people can be idiots. I was working during the last, longer one so my life didn't actually change that much (ie: I went to work then came home). Started smoking again for the first time in 7 years so that's nice.

frajer

I'm still working in office but fortunately we're a small enough company we can distance while working. However, cycling there and back is getting my goat as I go through the roads in town centre and am seeing so many pillocks who still don't mask up or make any effort to distance.

And I hate to generalise, but what the fuck's the problem with runners? Loads of them out at the minute (good for them for doing it in this cold) but of all the ones I've seen not one has worn a mask, or made any effort to distance.

I get that wearing a mask or snood won't be fun while you're running but they're huffing their droplets out all over town, always making a point of skirting within inches of other people out walking. Just selfish bastardry, really. Buy a snood and act like there's a pandemic on you athletic pricks.

flotemysost

Quote from: frajer on January 08, 2021, 09:59:26 AM
And I hate to generalise, but what the fuck's the problem with runners? Loads of them out at the minute (good for them for doing it in this cold) but of all the ones I've seen not one has worn a mask, or made any effort to distance.

I get that wearing a mask or snood won't be fun while you're running but they're huffing their droplets out all over town, always making a point of skirting within inches of other people out walking. Just selfish bastardry, really. Buy a snood and act like there's a pandemic on you athletic pricks.

Yeah, I felt like a bit of a twat moaning about this in the first lockdown but it does worry me, especially now, given the evident ease of transmission with the new variations. Exercise is obviously really important but there's something irritating about the way lots of runners just barrel past a whisker's breadth away on a narrow pavement, chucking lungfuls everywhere.

I mean god forbid anything should momentarily interrupt your cast-iron fitness regime, no that's OK, I'll step out of the way for the umpteenth time on my walk, you're welcome, it's not like I'm also on a limited lunch break and do not have all the time in the world to get my daily exercise in while trying to avoid the 'vid (yes, I know I'm obviously not some honed Lycra-clad fitness freak but it still counts as exercise). Petty I know, but I always make sure I give people distance and barely anyone ever acknowledges it.

poo

shiftwork2

I'm not sure how anyone's managing to keep it together during this everlasting shitshow.  Best wishes to everyone in the thread x.

chveik

I'm mostly apathetic (the meds' effect I reckon), and experiencing some flashes of of anger at times. absolutely nothing to look forward to.

take care everyone and DON'T GET THAT COVID YEAH?! x

Chedney Honks

I bought a Swedish axe.

You can cut a sheet of paper off a tree with this cunt.

My chest is holding its annual Extreme Emotion Winter Olympics.

Today's Dread And Doom event sees ski-less skiers trying to ski down an actively volcano-ing volcano. Will they make it before the lava goes splash splash sizzle? Find out - only on the TTC
Spoiler alert
(Terror Telecasting Corporation)
[close]

Pink Gregory

RE: Runners - I get the impression that a lot of people took up running as their allotted daily exercise during the first lockdown, and therefore haven't developed or been aware of any sort of etiquette about it.

God know that you might think about it beforehand but nah, that's too much for some people, it would seem.

Blue Jam

After eulogising about Woebot earlier I have just uninstalled it. It's a clever idea but after a week of use its limitations became glaringly apparent and I was starting to find it irritating. It also hasn't been programmed to acknowledge the pandemic and discuss anxiety caused by it. I'm not feeling irrational negative thoughts now, just perfectly rational negagive thoughts.

Been really struggling lately. Feeling really scared for the first time since this began. Looking at the news headlines and seeing the latest figures is really getting me down. I'm back at work but have the choice between travelling by bus, cycling over ice or walking a seven mile round trip in the cold. The last of those is seriously the least unappealing, no way am I getting on a bus right now. Got a shitload of work planned for the next few weeks and because there's a limit on how long anyone can stay inside my workplace I somehow have to manage it all as if I were a part-time worker.

On the bright side, it looks like Mr Jam's parents will be getting their vaccines soon, and that was really important to me so that's been good to know.

The worst thing for me is there being no end in sight. Walking past all the boarded up shops and pubs is really getting me down. I just want to go to sleep and not wake up until it's all over.

Sorry, just can't sleep and felt like a bit of a rant. I hope you're all holding up yourselves, feel free to vent back at me if you like.

bgmnts

I read that emissions in the US have been the lowest in decades which made me mega happy. Still loving this.

Blue Jam

That is nice, yes. I want to go and enjoy some unspoiled nature myself, far from the traffic, but the news of people being arrested by jobsworth police officers for straying a little too far from home in a bid to try and stay sane is putting me off. I really want to go and see my friend the Dunsapie Loch otter, staying in this tiny little radius is driving me up the wall.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on January 14, 2021, 12:41:10 AM
Stopgap:

https://youtu.be/7LYTZGUYVuo

Yaaaaay!

I posted that in the Wildlife Spotting thread. The otter is cheeky but the swans are hardnuts.

Gary, Sandra and their five cygnets (Dee, Dennis, Frank, Mac and Charlie) have moved to St. Margaret's Loch now and I still feed them pumpkin seeds when I get the chance.

jobotic

Had a dream this morning that I woke up to the news that the Brazilian variant was unstoppable and that humanity would be gone in a couple of weeks and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Blue Jam

Had a really bad night's sleep last night. I was exhausted but every time I managed to drop off I would have some nightmare that would wake me up again. I could never remember exactly what I'd been dreaming about but I'd immediately check to see if my hands or eyes or teeth were intact, or if I had any strange lumps. Think I might have been dreaming about getting ill or having body parts lopped off. Then I'd be afraid to fall asleep again. Fucking knackered now.

Going into to werk tomorrow, think I'll make my commute a lovely walk.

petercussing

Hello everyone, i feel super shitty as both nan and uncle are defo going to die of covids as they both have total renal failure and it's just a matter of when not it if. This is excrusicating, even more so as me and all my family can't see them or each other for comfort.

Hey, boston crebs, pls add this to your list of why we should actually kill all covid offenders

peanutbutter

Feeling sufficiently crap of late that  I'm half expecting to just discover I've some drawn out cold or something.

Think it's just that we're sufficiently far removed from anything resembling an event happening and it seems highly unlikely that this monotony is gonna change for me personally any time between now and April at best outside of some kind of personal tragedy.

Burning huge amounts of energy every day just trying to think of anything I'd like to do and I'll hit this point each evening where I just give up and go to bed.
Really struggling to keep in touch with people too, can't think of anything to talk about and I'm usually the conversation driver.

The Mollusk

Quote from: petercussing on January 15, 2021, 02:36:27 PM
Hello everyone, i feel super shitty as both nan and uncle are defo going to die of covids as they both have total renal failure and it's just a matter of when not it if. This is excrusicating, even more so as me and all my family can't see them or each other for comfort.

Hey, boston crebs, pls add this to your list of why we should actually kill all covid offenders

I don't visit this subforum much these days but I've dipped in today and saw this. I just want to say how sorry I am, really. I can't begin to imagine what you're going through, but you've got my heartfelt condolences. We're here if you need us. Take care x

Glebe

Quote from: petercussing on January 15, 2021, 02:36:27 PMHello everyone, i feel super shitty as both nan and uncle are defo going to die of covids as they both have total renal failure and it's just a matter of when not it if. This is excrusicating, even more so as me and all my family can't see them or each other for comfort.

Deeply saddened to hear that petercussing, virtual hugs and that and please look after yourself.

Cuellar

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on February 04, 2021, 01:04:29 PM
Why won't it ever stop FUCKING RAINING

Remember last January? Then the spring....that glorious spring. Things will be better Cuellar.

bgmnts

Glorious isn't it? Think of how amazingly green and arboreal it will be next month.

El Unicornio, mang

It's the way we get it that I hate the most, like Chinese water torture. Somewhere like Florida gets a lot more rain than the UK, but it's just an hour or so heavy torrents per day, with sunny skies before and after. Here it's just months of light drizzle and perpetually grey skies which utterly depresses me.

But, the days are getting longer, and as has been said, spring is around the corner with some of that lovely green.

flotemysost

This is definitely an incredibly privileged problem to have, so genuine apologies in advance to anyone with actual, real life issues - but I'm really very childishly, shamelessly jealous of anyone who's managed to be at all creative, productive, or in some way managed to make good use of their time during this thing.

Almost a year into this cunt and I'm still just... existing. There are so many things I want to want to be learning, listening to, reading, making or doing, if that makes sense, and I realise it's a massive massive privilege to have the spare time and financial security to even consider having hobbies as an option. My excuse last year was that I was living in a tiny bedroom in a cramped flatshare where I had no space or privacy - I no longer have that excuse, yet today I had the day off work and what the fuck have I done? Cried, browsed CaB, ate a doughnut, scrolled though my phone for a million years, watched some bollocks reality TV without even really watching it, done some cleaning, cried again, probably going to bed soon. #friyay

I suspect it's partly because back in the first lockdown there were a lot of "hey, it's OK not to be doing 5K runs and baking every day!" assurances everywhere, which I clung to as I spent entire weekends in the foetal position in bed - but back then, there was a sense of this is a transient thing so don't be too hard on yourself, it will pass. However by this stage there's a terrifying (to me) sense that this might be just how things are for the foreseeable future, and while lots of people seem to have gradually slotted into a new pace of life, even thriving in some cases, I find that thought really really fucking depressing and so am just pissing my days away and generally sabotaging my own happiness, much like I did pre-covid tbf.

Edited for typos, Christ, clearly losing the ability to spell as well

Glebe

You don't have to justify your unhappiness to anyone, flotemysost. If you're feeling shite you're feeling shite, and these are pretty shite times we're living in. Hope you're feeling a bit better today, I guess we just have to stick things out for a bit longer and try and stay positive, hopefully the numbers will come down over the coming months and we've got the vaccine and that.

El Unicornio, mang

Try not to be too down about this stuff. I've done quite a bit of creative stuff and learning and keeping fit in the past year but I still have exactly the same feelings that you do, I get up and do some stuff and eat some food and go to bed and repeat ad nauseum. Unless we're coming up with new Covid vaccines it can all seem a bit pointless. And many days I have literally done nothing, aside from lie on my bed refreshing web pages. I think most people are just trying to get through each day in whatever way they can, and that's fine.

bgmnts

Is anyone truly creative? 95% of anything anyonenis derivative and piss poor anyway, so dont be disheartened. Nothing wrong with just existing safely either.

Blue Jam

For what it's worth I don't think I have finished reading a single book during lockdown.I go through phases of not wanting to read anything and lockdown might have been the worst time for another one to strike, but here we are. I've also sacked off Duolingo. Played loads of video games and watched loads of telly and watched a fuckload of snooker though. I'm trying not to beat myself up about it, having loads of free time can be surprisingly unmotivating. It's when your time is scarce that you get a real urge to fill it.

*hugs* to you flotemysost