Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:22:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Group Hug - it's ok to feel like shit

Started by MojoJojo, November 12, 2020, 10:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 13, 2020, 04:36:16 PM
Haha, one of the best arguments I ever saw was between two women in a chip shop, one of the ones with an in door and an out door that snakes the queue up to the counter. Woman 1 barges past everyone and goes to talk to the guy working there, woman 2 politely says she's pushed in, then rather than calmly say 'nah, it's ok, I'm just picking up' she went apeshit, then she got her stuff and went "NOW EXCUSE ME SOME OF US HAVE TO GO TO WORK?", woman 2 then exacerbated the situation by calmly asking "do you normally go to work with a bottle of wine in your handbag?", then woman 1 got more angry, culminating in her threatening to get her husband involved (?) and storming out down the street shreiking for him.

Hehehe... Back to the whole mental/physical health thing, it didn't help that my crappy uterus is cramping like a mofo today. Looked up a few of the symptoms I've been experiencing lately (periodical unusualness, tiredness, sweating, headaches, struggling to lose weight) and Dr Google tells me it might be perimenopause. I'm 39 so it is possible I guess...

Spoiler alert
FUCK YEAH!!!! :) :) :)
[close]

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 12, 2020, 11:38:28 AM
my aim is to go for a walk using every train station in the UK

I don't think that would work out well for you. I can think on several train stations on the Greenock line that you most definitely would NOT want to get off at, for any reason whatsoever.

Zetetic

Lympstone Commando presents certain difficulties as well, but you can always join the Royal Marines, or do it last.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on November 14, 2020, 02:27:58 PM
I don't think that would work out well for you. I can think on several train stations on the Greenock line that you most definitely would NOT want to get off at, for any reason whatsoever.

Which ones?

I am making allowances for stations in dodgy areas and removing them from my list,such as Aston in Birmingham, but it would be useful to get an idea of which Scottish stations you'd advise against visiting.

Looking on Wikipedia, i'm surprised Greenock has so many railway stations given it's small population, but it must be handy for residents.

The Mollusk

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 12, 2020, 08:18:54 PM
*heads in hands* - Normal was terrible for society and the planet. Wake up Georple.

Please try and tone down the relentless "life is shit wall-to-wall, nothing good that happens is ever actually good in the long term" patter, mate. I'm as aware of your obtuse and bleak sense of humour as the next person on this forum but I honestly find it to be incredibly wearing when people are very rightly trying to cling on to optimism and hope. Now really is neither the time nor the place. Nuff love and respect to you always, but I'm having a really horrible time in my personal life at the moment and I visit this site to feel comfortable and to escape and so the last thing I need is to keep opening threads and hearing such a disparaging voice. I hope you understand.

chveik

it's terribly naive to think that good things (for humanity and the planet) could directly come out of a global pandemic

bgmnts

I mean Blodwyn is working deep in the sanctum of pure evil right now, it's a place where hope dies.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 14, 2020, 03:04:35 PM
Which ones?
Woodhall
Bogston
Cartsdyke
Drumfrochar
Whinhill

In fact, just don't go anywhere near Greenock or Port Glasgow, that would be the most sensible idea.

Fambo Number Mive

Thanks, I'll remember that when I get to the Scottish stations.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Ohhhh somebody give me a slap and tell me to stop picking at inconsequential shit please

Blue Jam

After another day where I have taken my Venlafaxine tablet a bit too late and have felt really tired and queasy, I have gone "fuck this" and decided to try and come off it. I'll be booking a phone consultation with my GP tomorrow. Fucking sick of feeling like a junkie, not to mention the sweating, the nightmares, the digestive problems and the being totally unable to lose weight despite a diet of smoothies and a fuckload of cycling.

Bit scared of the withdrawal symptoms though, lots of horror stories to be found if you consult Dr Google. Still, this is all too relatable:

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2003/apr/13/features.magazine47

A big sweaty beach ball is pretty much what I feel like and what I no longer want to feel like, yes. Catching my reflection in the full-length mirrors in the lifts at werk is more depressing than anything else in my life right now.

Would prefer perimenopause tbh. I shall step out of Dr Google's office and talk to an actual doctor instead.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on November 14, 2020, 07:07:48 PM
Woodhall
Bogston
Cartsdyke
Drumfrochar
Whinhill

In fact, just don't go anywhere near Greenock or Port Glasgow, that would be the most sensible idea.

Yoker?

'Greenock' is such a deceptively pretty place name isn't it?

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 15, 2020, 04:17:00 PM
Yoker?

'Greenock' is such a deceptively pretty place name isn't it?

Not quite as sarcastic as the streets surrounding me when I stayed in Mansion Avenue, Port Glasgow. There was:

Brightside Avenue
Pleasantside Avenue
Sunnyside Avenue

None of them lived up to their namesakes, including Mansion Avenue.

canadagoose

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on November 15, 2020, 06:21:58 PM
Not quite as sarcastic as the streets surrounding me when I stayed in Mansion Avenue, Port Glasgow. There was:

Brightside Avenue
Pleasantside Avenue
Sunnyside Avenue

None of them lived up to their namesakes, including Mansion Avenue.
A quick look at Street View showed me all I needed to know. It looked extremely grim, and the satellite view showed it has all since been flattened. How come you lived there? Was that just where the council put you?

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: canadagoose on November 16, 2020, 12:01:21 AM
A quick look at Street View showed me all I needed to know. It looked extremely grim, and the satellite view showed it has all since been flattened. How come you lived there? Was that just where the council put you?

Basically. I was still staying with my mum at the time and that was where she moved to. The place we moved from was much worse.  In fact, given how grim it was i never had any trouble while i lived there. A well known, but unassuming drug dealer stayed a few doors down and as a result the street was never plagued with cunts hanging about or causing trouble.

The grim streets named above featured in several scenes in Sweet Sixteen.

hamfist

Finally spoke to a doctor about my depression and social anxiety. For the first time ever, never spoken to anyone about this stuff, since I was 14 and it all kicked off. 45 now and going to be trying a drop of the old sertraline to get out of the mire and some therapy & and ASD assessment to help me try and work out why I've been so odd all my life.

IsavedLatin

Quote from: hamfist on November 16, 2020, 01:29:55 PM
Finally spoke to a doctor about my depression and social anxiety. For the first time ever, never spoken to anyone about this stuff, since I was 14 and it all kicked off. 45 now and going to be trying a drop of the old sertraline to get out of the mire and some therapy & and ASD assessment to help me try and work out why I've been so odd all my life.

Best of luck with it, hamfist. A really positive step.

canadagoose

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on November 16, 2020, 12:48:18 AM
Basically. I was still staying with my mum at the time and that was where she moved to. The place we moved from was much worse.  In fact, given how grim it was i never had any trouble while i lived there. A well known, but unassuming drug dealer stayed a few doors down and as a result the street was never plagued with cunts hanging about or causing trouble.

The grim streets named above featured in several scenes in Sweet Sixteen.
Sounds a bit better than it could have been, I guess. Where the bloody hell did you move from, though?! An active war zone?

Quote from: hamfistFinally spoke to a doctor about my depression and social anxiety. For the first time ever, never spoken to anyone about this stuff, since I was 14 and it all kicked off. 45 now and going to be trying a drop of the old sertraline to get out of the mire and some therapy & and ASD assessment to help me try and work out why I've been so odd all my life.
Hope the sertraline works well for you. You and me both are on sertraline, have social anxiety and are in the process of autism/Asperger's assessment so I can certainly empathise! I didn't have to keep it all in for decades, though, that must have been difficult. Don't know about where you live, but there seem to be some long delays for therapy here, and it'll probably be phone-based so hopefully that will be OK for you. I kind of miss going to appointments, but it's good if psychologists and psychiatrists don't end up getting the 'vid coughed at them and ending up in grave, I guess.

shagatha crustie

Anyone else finding it absolutely impossible to concentrate/knuckle down working from home recently? I'm just so demotivated and distracted. I sat down today, rested from the weekend with full intentions of getting everything done that I needed to, but apart from the simplest stuff it's been like wading through treacle and I keep looking at my phone or otherwise procrastinating.

I don't feel great mentally but have certainly been worse, and I didn't have this problem in the summer, so I can't tell if I need to have a word with myself and knuckle the fuck down, or just ride it out.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: canadagoose on November 16, 2020, 04:22:45 PM
Sounds a bit better than it could have been, I guess. Where the bloody hell did you move from, though?! An active war zone?

Pretty much, it was a scheme called "The Gibby" or Gibshill. It was a no go area if you didn't live there and due to its location up on a hill, away from the main road, was also known as "Spam Island", as referenced in Just A Boy's Game.

It was absolutely fucking brutal.

JaDanketies

I think it's going to be especially hard for a lot of people over the next few weeks because it's dark and cold as well as lockdown. Anyone with a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder will probably experience it a lot worse than usual.

I've been in a bit of a funk recently. I know it's a cliche, but all those things you do when you're happy - i.e. eat healthy, drink less, take fewer drugs, maybe even get off your fat arse and exercise - is all just as helpful as when you're unhappy. Also with my son, it feels to me very important to play with some musical instruments with him regularly and read to him regularly, and the penny dropped for me yesterday - it should be just as important to me to play with some musical instruments and read occasionally, too. If I recognise it's right for an infant then I should also recognise it's important for me.

I feel better today than I did a week or so ago. The major difference is that I'm drinking less. Opening up to my girlfriend was also helpful, probably. It's weird, because usually I have surrounded myself with people who suffer from significant mental health problems, and it's unusual being the one that is saying they don't feel so great. 

One thing that has really been great in 2020 for me, and that seemed like a right shitty load of shit when it happened, was when I deleted my Twitter and Reddit account after someone on Reddit connected the dots and doxed me irl. I've not got back on either site to any real extent. I remember my notifications going wild with a bunch of terfs saying I supported rapists in December 2019. I remember it reaching Christmas and me realising that the time I had spent arguing with bigots on Twitter in December amounted to a full working day, and if I hadn't have done it I could've gone to the city centre and drank some mulled wine and wandered around and had a day to myself. Really pleased to get that fuckin horrible site's claws out of me. It's bad enough being locked down in the dark winter nights, but hundreds of bigots calling you every name under the sun and stalking your social media would've been even worse. It would be hard to be resilient.

On a related note, as the OP says, perhaps people on this forum are being a little short with one-another sometimes, too. It might not be my place to say it, but please bare in mind that the person you're talking to might be having a pretty tough time of it all at the moment. Maybe try to avoid telling them that they're an unforgivable shithead and the world would be better if they weren't in it. Most of the time, your angry internet comments would be water off a duck's back, but at the moment they're disproportionately likely to be aimed at someone in a fragile mental state. Also dragging someone down isn't going to make you feel better in the medium-term.

Best of luck to all of you, and 2021 is gonna rock

canadagoose

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on November 16, 2020, 06:05:18 PM
Pretty much, it was a scheme called "The Gibby" or Gibshill. It was a no go area if you didn't live there and due to its location up on a hill, away from the main road, was also known as "Spam Island", as referenced in Just A Boy's Game.

It was absolutely fucking brutal.
Sounds nightmarish. Looking at Street View it looks like it's been completely knocked down too and rebuilt. I wonder where all the people went.

Jasha

Just a bit bored of it all tbh, not trying to be blasé or anything but it's all so bloody boring now. Sick of seeing and hearing Covid day after day after day

Blue Jam

I have been massively struggling with not being able to go out lately. Just want to go for a nice meal, or see a film, or sit in a pub reading the Sunday supplements. Might have to go out for a pot of tea soon just for something normal to do.

I'm also struggling with working from home. Got a brand new laptop and usually I'd be like a child with a new toy but I can barely get excited about it. Especially not when I'm looking at some data from an experiment that clearly hasn't worked...

Cycling in to werk has been mostly good, but there are good days and bad days. Days when I get in feeling really awake and refreshed, and days when I have an asthma attack and arrive feeling like my legs are about to drop off.

Hopefully coming off the venlafaxine will improve things as I'm expecting weight loss and less lethargy and less sweating, but there's the headaches and projectile vomiting to get past first.

hamfist

Quote from: canadagoose on November 16, 2020, 04:22:45 PM
Hope the sertraline works well for you. You and me both are on sertraline, have social anxiety and are in the process of autism/Asperger's assessment so I can certainly empathise! I didn't have to keep it all in for decades, though, that must have been difficult. Don't know about where you live, but there seem to be some long delays for therapy here, and it'll probably be phone-based so hopefully that will be OK for you. I kind of miss going to appointments, but it's good if psychologists and psychiatrists don't end up getting the 'vid coughed at them and ending up in grave, I guess.

It's majorly reassuring to know you're on the same track, thanks for letting me know there. Let's see how we get on.

flotemysost

Quote from: shagatha crustie on November 16, 2020, 05:51:09 PM
Anyone else finding it absolutely impossible to concentrate/knuckle down working from home recently? I'm just so demotivated and distracted. I sat down today, rested from the weekend with full intentions of getting everything done that I needed to, but apart from the simplest stuff it's been like wading through treacle and I keep looking at my phone or otherwise procrastinating.

Very much so. Back in the spring I felt completely deflated, depressed and sluggish; this time round I don't feel that same dull pessimism, but now I can't focus on fuck all and I just keep pacing, flicking between tabs of news stories, and checking my phone (although the latter is partly to check up on friends who I know are struggling). Hoping I snap out of it before work realise how little I'm getting done.

Chedney Honks

All I do is work, start drinking ASAP and watch films or chill with my wife and watch 90 Day Fiancé or Masterchef. My life is in total limbo, all plans stalled and no possibility of making things move forward any more quickly. It's actually pretty nice in a strange way, completely divorced from the ability to influence or effect change. I feel absolutely no guilt for the first time in about thirty years, maybe closer to forty, tbf. I just do what I have to do and then watch some amazing film with my headphones on or have a laugh with my wife. Feels like I'm slowly killing myself but I can't be fagged going for a walk or whatever. I'll just get healthy again after the vaccine comes out if I'm not dead.

🤣🤣🤣

canadagoose

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 16, 2020, 06:43:44 PM
I have been massively struggling with not being able to go out lately. Just want to go for a nice meal, or see a film, or sit in a pub reading the Sunday supplements. Might have to go out for a pot of tea soon just for something normal to do.

I'm also struggling with working from home. Got a brand new laptop and usually I'd be like a child with a new toy but I can barely get excited about it. Especially not when I'm looking at some data from an experiment that clearly hasn't worked...

Cycling in to werk has been mostly good, but there are good days and bad days. Days when I get in feeling really awake and refreshed, and days when I have an asthma attack and arrive feeling like my legs are about to drop off.

Hopefully coming off the venlafaxine will improve things as I'm expecting weight loss and less lethargy and less sweating, but there's the headaches and projectile vomiting to get past first.
Hope the venlafaxine withdrawal goes OK for you. If you want a few tips, I'd recommend asking for some anti-emetics from your GP (cyclizine works for some folk, not for me, and prochlorperazine works fine), keep the lights low, and don't move your head too much. And stock up on paracetamol.

Twit 2

Quote from: Chedney Honks on November 16, 2020, 08:21:30 PM
All I do is work, start drinking ASAP and watch films or chill with my wife and watch 90 Day Fiancé or Masterchef. My life is in total limbo, all plans stalled and no possibility of making things move forward any more quickly. It's actually pretty nice in a strange way, completely divorced from the ability to influence or effect change. I feel absolutely no guilt for the first time in about thirty years, maybe closer to forty, tbf. I just do what I have to do and then watch some amazing film with my headphones on or have a laugh with my wife. Feels like I'm slowly killing myself but I can't be fagged going for a walk or whatever. I'll just get healthy again after the vaccine comes out if I'm not dead.

🤣🤣🤣

Sad, man, sad. You've lost your edge. Eat some roadkill.