Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,341
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:29:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Group Hug - it's ok to feel like shit

Started by MojoJojo, November 12, 2020, 10:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Best of luck in any case Orange.

New page twat soz.

Disc_4

Was going to post this in the Euros thread, but decided not to as it's essentially an exasperated moan into the void...

Got an anti-vax friend whose wife has unfortunately been diagnosed with breast cancer. Turns out he hadn't been to get his vaccination when his age group were called up, and as it turns out had planned on not getting at all due to it being a big pharma conspiracy etc. Mentioned last night that he had changed his mind, as because his wife would be shortly undergoing chemotherapy treatment he wanted to keep Covid out of the house (they and their young children have all had it - my friend and his wife confirmed as having it twice) in order to keep her safe. But... just messaged me to say he is now thinking of cancelling his appointment next week because "this is just too much of a coincidence". Asked what he meant to find out he was referring to the Christian Eriksen incident in tonight's Euros game. Somehow it's related to vaccines. Gah.

Bernice

bgmnts

Millions of people die and get hurt every day, what a strange person.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 11, 2021, 02:57:51 PM
I start a new job on Monday and on my online induction form I ticked yes on the "Do you have a disability" box and wrote MS, instead of the "Rather not say" box, which was my first instinct. I could have very easily hid this piece of information until after the six-month probation period and now I'm worried they'll see me in a negative way right off the bat. I've had a bad experience with the probation thing in the past.

EDIT: Removed an irrelevant second problem.

Dunno who you sent that to, but if the company is functionally normal, it shouldn't be going to anyone other than HR, and they shouldn't be telling anyone else about it.

Glebe

Quote from: Disc_4 on June 12, 2021, 07:30:15 PMWas going to post this in the Euros thread, but decided not to as it's essentially an exasperated moan into the void...

Got an anti-vax friend whose wife has unfortunately been diagnosed with breast cancer. Turns out he hadn't been to get his vaccination when his age group were called up, and as it turns out had planned on not getting at all due to it being a big pharma conspiracy etc. Mentioned last night that he had changed his mind, as because his wife would be shortly undergoing chemotherapy treatment he wanted to keep Covid out of the house (they and their young children have all had it - my friend and his wife confirmed as having it twice) in order to keep her safe. But... just messaged me to say he is now thinking of cancelling his appointment next week because "this is just too much of a coincidence". Asked what he meant to find out he was referring to the Christian Eriksen incident in tonight's Euros game. Somehow it's related to vaccines. Gah.

Ah no. All the best to your mate's wife, in any case.

Disc_4

Quote from: Bernice on June 12, 2021, 08:18:08 PM
In what way is that a coincidence?

Absolutely no idea. Talking to him briefly, it appears that it might not have been receiving the vaccine that was directly to blame after all. The other possibility that he leaned towards (that i hadn't even considered) is that the whole event was somehow orchestrated behind the scenes (i think the "coincidence" being that it was such a televised/ publicly viewed event at such a major tournament) to be falsely blamed on the effects of Covid for the purpose of putting more pressure on people to go and get the vaccine... Yeah, either way, absolutely no links there.

He seems to have climbed down a bit since there has surprisingly been no mention of either possibility in the follow up coverage. It's honestly surprising how deep he's gone along with the whole anti-vax thing  - he's just convinced beyond all evidence to the contrary and is now completely susceptible to believing any anti-vax or covid conspiracy horseshit almost instantly. He doesn't even get angry or annoyed when it's pointed out just how ridiculous some of the stuff is, and just looks at you as if you're from the moon or something for not believing it too.

Quote from: Glebe on June 13, 2021, 01:44:41 PM
Ah no. All the best to your mate's wife, in any case.

Thanks. I know it's rich for me to complain about this stuff when they've got all that much worse going on. I just don't want anything bad happening to his wife/ kids or him because of this shit and needed to get it off my chest.

Uncle TechTip

I think we must accept that people who are anti vax, coming up with weird justifications based on news events, are fundamentally frightened about the uncertainty, they don't know how to deal with it, so they mark it as not real.

Twit 2

Really fucking struggling big time. Was debating whether to even write in this thread but just thought I'd put it out there. Signed off work, on meds, trying to fill the days and put a brave face on things but I'm all over the place, frankly. I've been debating writing something longer on here but I don't even know where to start. Absolutely terrified of going back to work (I've also handed in my notice so sick pay will run out eventually). Scared of looking for a new job. Trying to keep it together for wife and kids. Strong suicidal feelings (most likely a side effect of the Quetiapine I've been prescribed). Regretting being in the farcically bureaucratic and collapsing health system, but being out of it had finally caught up with me too. Feel like pure shit, just want my life/personality back, such as it was.

Glebe

Very sorry to hear it T2... put your mental and emotional health first, hope you're got support from fam+friends. PM for a chat any time if you feel like it mate.

JaDanketies

You're a good man Twit 2, from what I've seen. x <3

Sorry to hear it, was thinking about you when Philippe Jaccottet died and wondering why you were recently quiet. Take care x

mothman

Don't have COVID (doing LFTs regularly), but feel like shit. Hay fever is horrible this year. Past two weeks have been murder. That we're also having building work done and there's dust everywhere probably doesn't help. Usually by this point I'd have sinusitis, but my nose isn't too bad. It's just this permanent feeling of all over achiness. And a hoarse feeling like it's going to go down into my chest at any minute.

Fambo Number Mive

Finding it harder and harder not to lose my temper at COVIDIOTS. I walked home from work yesterday rather than get the bus and I was walking past some lad, I was on the left side of the pavement and he was walking along on the right side. Just before he passed me, he walked into the middle of the pavement so that he was closer to me and kept in the middle of the pavement as he passed. I mean, why? It's one thing to forget to social distance but to purposefully get closer to people when you pass them?

If I had stopped and had a go at him it would have put me at even more risk of COVID as he would have shouted something back.

Just feel so worn down by how many people don't seem to care about the health of others.

Glebe

People not wearing masks over their noses is another teeth-grinder.

Kankurette

Does my head in too.

I have to admit that lockdown being lifted in 2 weeks feels a bit like '...and then what?' It's going to take a while for me to adjust going back to normal. I did consider getting Facebook back cos I have major FOMO but Facebook is bad for my mental health. I don't need to see everyone posting about their amazing social lives when I barely leave my own area.

canadagoose

People kept eating on the buses I was on yesterday. Just full on taking their masks off and leisurely chomping on sweets and drinking. So bloody irritating. I've had a hypo before on a bus during the 'vid and I kept my mask on while I stapped Dextro Energy into my face - why can't they? Just lazy and inconsiderate. I was on a bus from Loanhead last week too and there were so many unmasked people, none of them with sunflower lanyards or anything. I'm double-jagged now but I'm still worried, I know people who have still managed to contract the virus after vaccination. Ugh

Edit: also I've been feeling bloody shite lately, can I have a hug?

Fambo Number Mive

*sends virtual hug*

I know what you mean about people eating and drinking, it annoys me that some train companies have brought their trolley service back which surely encourages people to eat and drink therefore increasing the COVID risk.

On one bus I was on, someone was working their way through a bunch of grapes, mask on chin.

canadagoose

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 07, 2021, 09:55:16 AM
*sends virtual hug*

I know what you mean about people eating and drinking, it annoys me that some train companies have brought their trolley service back which surely encourages people to eat and drink therefore increasing the COVID risk.

On one bus I was on, someone was working their way through a bunch of grapes, mask on chin.
Thanks Fambo, yeah, that's the sort of thing I mean. I don't get it. I hate other people, I just need some time away in the country or something.

Kankurette

Quote from: canadagoose on July 07, 2021, 09:23:08 AM
People kept eating on the buses I was on yesterday. Just full on taking their masks off and leisurely chomping on sweets and drinking. So bloody irritating. I've had a hypo before on a bus during the 'vid and I kept my mask on while I stapped Dextro Energy into my face - why can't they? Just lazy and inconsiderate. I was on a bus from Loanhead last week too and there were so many unmasked people, none of them with sunflower lanyards or anything. I'm double-jagged now but I'm still worried, I know people who have still managed to contract the virus after vaccination. Ugh

Virtual hugs.

flotemysost

Quote from: canadagoose on July 07, 2021, 09:23:08 AM

Hugs to you, canadagoose.

Recently I keep seeing people (on transport/in shops) wearing masks but then pulling them down in order to sneeze/cough - why?! I mean, hayfever's kicking my arse raw at the moment and of course it's no fun walking round with essentially a snotty hankie over your face, but suck it up (not literally).

Glebe

Hope you're feeling better CG. Virtual hugs, if that's appropriate!

Kankurette

Those of you who've lost parents - it is still OK to mourn them when you're nearly 30 years on from their deaths, right?

Yes I think so, Kankurette, although it's not that long in my case. After twelve years I've started to miss being able to remember him well enough to mourn livelier memories. So I've taken some comfort from your post that I might not have completely forgotten him in eighteen more.

canadagoose

Thanks Kankurette, flotemysost, Glebe - it certainly is appropriate!

Quote from: KankuretteThose of you who've lost parents - it is still OK to mourn them when you're nearly 30 years on from their deaths, right?
I certainly don't see why not. My Mum still mourns her Dad (who would have been my grandad) and he passed about 35 years ago. Best wishes to you.

Kankurette

Thanks. I rang my mum earlier and talked about it and she said she still misses her parents, although my grandma died in 2005 (can't remember when Granddad died, but it was earlier and none of us went the funeral because he cheated on Gran and the other woman's family would all be there, and I barely knew him anyway).

IsavedLatin

I have nothing so serious to talk about as many posters here, but I have been experiencing more and more intrusive anxious thoughts and feelings -- relatively silly work things could happen in the afternoon, and I'll still be ruminating on it that evening (ruining my ability to enjoy my own down time), and have it disrupt my sleep. (To be clear, I don't work in a life-and-death field where that level of perseveration is remotely proportionate.) I've always been on the overthinking side, but I rather feel that the drip-drip of the last year is starting to erode my ability to cope as I might previously have done with this habit.

Would quite like to talk to someone about it, even if it's just to get a few formulaic CBT prompts, to feel like i have a bit more control on my responses in these situations. Yet also feel automatically like it's not remotely worth bothering a GP with in the middle of a pandemic.

Consider ACT skills for intrusive thoughts, videos like this could be helpful https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://lightonanxiety.com/how-to-mindfully-observe-intrusive-thoughts-metaphors-for-ocd/&ved=2ahUKEwjh78fwlNzxAhVIgFwKHenfBJkQo7QBegQIDBAB&usg=AOvVaw3F3n1UbfDe4kWmIQ4_bdoU

But also don't hesitate in contacting your GP. Most areas in the UK have IAPT services running at full capacity for general mental health concerns. They could offer you CBT

Zetetic

IAPT is an English-only construct.

Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own approaches to ensuring the provision of therapies and counselling in primary care. (Mostly with a bit less of an emphasis on heavily-manualised CBT and return-to-work.)