Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:09:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Group Hug - it's ok to feel like shit

Started by MojoJojo, November 12, 2020, 10:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Sorry but all this 'I'm doing this unsafe thing but at least it less unsafe than that other even more unsafe thing' is bollocks. If it's unsafe and it's not literally life saving then don't fucking do it. It's our collective duty.

Glebe

Sorry to hear what you're going through with your family member Fambo. Hope things work out okay.

flotemysost

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 26, 2021, 07:49:45 PM
Sorry but all this 'I'm doing this unsafe thing but at least it less unsafe than that other even more unsafe thing' is bollocks. If it's unsafe and it's not literally life saving then don't fucking do it. It's our collective duty.

But does that mean indefinitely, now that we have vaccines? Waving goodbye to ever doing anything other than shopping for food and essentials, never being able to see any loved ones again if you don't already live with them, having zero chance of ever meeting anyone or starting a family if you're single, basically only having Netflix and deliveries and going for walks to look forward to for the rest of your days?

Don't get me wrong, I know a few people who've expressed "covid is over, lalala" type attitudes recently and it makes me feel pretty fucking angry and despairing (even though I could easily be called a hypocrite there) because I know it's definitely not. I still really worry about my parents even though they're vaccinated as they're both over 70 and vulnerable, and I know loads of people must be in the same position. I'm absolutely fine with wearing masks (properly!) in indoor public spaces - forever if needed, I'll gladly do regular tests, and I've got no issue with showing a vaccine pass or doing Test & Trace, etc. - whatever it takes to keep things at bay. I know people who've lost relatives to this, or are still suffering from long covid over a year after getting ill. The individuals and sectors who've most needed support throughout this situation have been treated abysmally by the government and I hate that things are the way they are right now. I hate that these fucking antivax morons are pretending that to support lockdowns and other entirely sensible measures is to support Boris, and that some otherwise rational people seem to have bought into the "fuck the government, we want our freedom" rhetoric.

I don't know what I'm saying really. I guess, I know that trying to justify doing non-essential things that carry some degree of risk at this point probably just sounds like weaselly arse-covering, but it is intensely frustrating how there are so many completely unnecessary and avoidable factors (such as removing the legal requirement to wear face coverings in shops and on public transport) which then affect the bigger picture and compromise the viability of other things. Of course stuff like going to the cinema or theatre or a gig isn't life-saving in the immediate sense but if things like that aren't going to be in the picture in the long run then I'm not sure I want to be either.

bgmnts

Not long after finally getting over severe heartburn and acid reflux vomming I have a lovely case of painful constipation and I probably won't be able to sleep or function for a few days. Work will be fun.

Not covid related but needed to vent.

Anyone willing to kill me now can have all my stuff.

Glebe

chveik

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 26, 2021, 06:37:31 PM
I'm trying to support one of my family members who has clinical depression and other family members are causing them problems and I keep saying the wrong thing and they get annoyed and I'm so bad at this and I feel really guilty at how bad I am at supporting people, so worn down by it all and services are offering very little support to them and I just feel utter despair at it all. It would be hard enough even without the fucking pandemic and the cunt government and selfish public response to it. Just so angry with myself at how I sometimes say the wrong thing over Zoom and make them feel worse and how I can't come up with any practical advice and I just am so tired of things.

being familiar with clinical depression, sometimes there is no right thing to say. depression makes you distrust language and people that try to verbalise what you're going through. also, you're not a professional, you shouldn't have to deal with this individually, but keeping contact with them is already very valuable and it sounds like you're doing your best, so you shouldn't feel guilty.

Fambo Number Mive

Thank you, much appreciated. Thank you to flotemysost and Glebe as well.

shiftwork2

Quote from: bgmnts on September 26, 2021, 09:28:48 PM
Anyone willing to kill me now can have all my stuff.

What sort of stuff is it?

JaDanketies

Apparently I am not right at the moment. I hold a lofty detachment from my emotional state. I'm too important for such trivial ephemera.  I think it relates to me not seeing any (either) of my friends for ages. Kinda feel like I've lost them.

In fairness I did recognise that I wasn't in a good place before it got really bad, which is better than last time. I never used to feel like this, I think 2020 - 2021 has addled my brain. Yesterday I was thinking about how my life was shit right up to the age of about 26, which seems like it can't possibly be correct

canadagoose

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 27, 2021, 10:21:40 AM
Apparently I am not right at the moment. I hold a lofty detachment from my emotional state. I'm too important for such trivial ephemera.  I think it relates to me not seeing any (either) of my friends for ages. Kinda feel like I've lost them.

In fairness I did recognise that I wasn't in a good place before it got really bad, which is better than last time. I never used to feel like this, I think 2020 - 2021 has addled my brain. Yesterday I was thinking about how my life was shit right up to the age of about 26, which seems like it can't possibly be correct
Sorry to hear about this. I'm not an expert by any means but I hope people can help you. Best wishes.

Glebe

mothman

So my wife possibly had a cardiac arrest at the weekend. She's fine now but we're in a bit of shock. If my pathetic attempts at humour seem any more manic than usual, or I actually start getting involved in discussions of politics again (something I swore I wouldn't do here anymore), that's why.

Glebe

Fuck, sorry to hear that Mothy, hope she's feeling a lot better now. More hugs and all around.

mothman

Thanks G. She seems to be fine now. But the pacer/defib she had fitted in case this exact thing ever happened saved her life. Doing a lot of sitting around, and being able to switch off and bicker on CaB about inconsequential shit is a Godsend.

Mobius

edit - ignore this, dumb question i could have googled

Chedney Honks

Very sorry to hear that, mothman. What a nightmare. Hugs to you and Mrs moth.

mothman

Thanks Cheds. It's a weird situation. It was a full two days after it happened before we learnt WHAT had happened. So a lot of the trauma is delayed. She's crying a lot, about anything.

GoblinAhFuckScary

just remembered i've gotta have a 15 min ultrasound scan tomorrow morning and burst into floods of tears thinking about the process. for fuck sake dyfsuyfbusdbf

Glebe

JaDanketies

mothman

You'll be fine. Is it the process itself - and if so what is it about it, there are more invasive diagnostic processes after all - or what it might reveal?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: mothman on October 16, 2021, 11:04:58 PM
You'll be fine. Is it the process itself - and if so what is it about it, there are more invasive diagnostic processes after all - or what it might reveal?

thanks for nice words all!!! fucking loving this on the cookdandbombd forum

it's pretty invasive and humiliating for a prolonged amount of time and not an experience i'm remotely used to. all very eugh

Fr.Bigley

I had to have an ultrasound when I had a suspected gallstone, tell you it's uncomfortable for a bit but you might have the same person doing it as mine who suggested I "liked eating pies but surprisingly aren't fat" it was the nicest pit down I've ever had.

Glebe

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on October 17, 2021, 12:16:51 AMit was the nicest pit down I've ever had.

Eeee, it's nevah nice down pit, lad!

Fr.Bigley

non capisco

Best of luck GoblinAhFuckScary, best username on the forum by a comfortable distance, btw.

mothman

Coincidentally yesterday I had this mad idea pop into my head about a TV show set at a school for orcs and goblins.

It was called Uruk High.

Glebe

Quote from: mothman on October 17, 2021, 01:26:21 AMCoincidentally yesterday I had this mad idea pop into my head about a TV show set at a school for orcs and goblins.

It was called Uruk High.

Like it!