Author Topic: CaB Group Hug - it's ok to feel like shit  (Read 2839 times)

Blue Jam

• COLOSSAL DESSERT TOWER
Re: CaB Group Hug - it's ok to feel like shit
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2020, 10:28:27 PM »
Hope the venlafaxine withdrawal goes OK for you. If you want a few tips, I'd recommend asking for some anti-emetics from your GP (cyclizine works for some folk, not for me, and prochlorperazine works fine), keep the lights low, and don't move your head too much. And stock up on paracetamol.

That's much appreciated, thanks CG. I've been dreading coming off the venlafaxine and figured it'd be best to do it when I have a few weeks off work. Hopefully I will at least have been able to halve my daily dose from 75mg to 37.5mg by Christmas. Thanks again.

canadagoose

• inoperable brain bum hole
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2020, 11:10:04 PM »
That's much appreciated, thanks CG. I've been dreading coming off the venlafaxine and figured it'd be best to do it when I have a few weeks off work. Hopefully I will at least have been able to halve my daily dose from 75mg to 37.5mg by Christmas. Thanks again.
No probs - to be honest, you'll probably do much better than me, I'm just weirdly sensitive to withdrawals sometimes! I'm always here if you need any advice on anything. Not that I'm a doctor, of course.

shagatha crustie

• Huff the talbot
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2020, 09:34:44 AM »
Very much so. Back in the spring I felt completely deflated, depressed and sluggish; this time round I don't feel that same dull pessimism, but now I can't focus on fuck all and I just keep pacing, flicking between tabs of news stories, and checking my phone (although the latter is partly to check up on friends who I know are struggling). Hoping I snap out of it before work realise how little I'm getting done.

Thanks for the validation, I'm sure we're not the only ones! Agree 100% on the checking up on friends stuff - I feel like in the absence of face-to-face communication (I live alone), messaging with friends to feel sane and connected and human is taking up a lot of my time. But WhatsApp is also a channel I use for work, so the work-life boundaries have become very blurred in my brain.

George Oscar Bluth II

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2020, 10:14:26 AM »
Cycling in to werk has been mostly good, but there are good days and bad days. Days when I get in feeling really awake and refreshed, and days when I have an asthma attack and arrive feeling like my legs are about to drop off.

The second part of this does not apply to me but I've fucking loved cycling to work. I know my area so much better than I did, it feels good to exercise and I find myself looking forward to days "in" work because "I get to cycle". And on days when I don't go on I take half an hour at lunch to zip around, it's great!

(Disclaimer: does not apply if the weather is shite)

Blue Jam

• COLOSSAL DESSERT TOWER
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2020, 11:22:59 AM »
A big problem for me is that cycling on roads still really frightens me. See the "Driving away from an RTA" thread. Did once cycle to Portobello Beach when I finished work early though, that was nice.

No probs - to be honest, you'll probably do much better than me, I'm just weirdly sensitive to withdrawals sometimes! I'm always here if you need any advice on anything. Not that I'm a doctor, of course.

Again, big thanks. I didn't have a problem with fluoxetine as it has a long half-life and as I just got The Dreaded Prozac Poop-Out it just gradually stopped working so there was no withdrawal to speak of. With Mirtazapine I got "brain zaps" and while they weren't pleasant I just found them more of a mild distraction than anything. Venlafaxine though has been really nasty- properly violent projectile vomiting on an empty stomach and then feeling too ill to do anything but sleep for the rest of the day. When I do remember to take it I still have to deal with erratic digestion, wanting to sleep all the time and waking up with damp hair because I've had the night sweats again. Thought I was getting hot flushes from perimenopause for a while and the sweating at work has been getting really embarrassing, with people asking if I'm ill and probably hoping I haven't got fever symptoms from the 'rona.

Just had a phone consultation with my GP who has agreed that we should go for a 75% reduction in the dose, then go down to 50% if that works out. I have also been reliably informed that doggie nail clippers work better than any pill-cutter you can get from a pharmacy. Might try out the ones I have for my hooman nails first.

Big thanks again.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:49:12 AM by Blue Jam »

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2020, 11:31:05 AM »
Yep I'm terrified of cycling. I used to use a foot-powered scooter that you might associate with children to get to work, because you can use it on the pavements. It kept me fit!

Blue Jam

• COLOSSAL DESSERT TOWER
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »
At least two of my colleagues scooter to work, I have been tempted to try it myself!

George Oscar Bluth II

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »
I should add, I'm very lucky to live at one end and work at the other end of one of those cycle routes they have now. Write to your councilors, tell them you want room for cycling, tell them to tell drivers to get fucked.

Blue Jam

• COLOSSAL DESSERT TOWER
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2020, 10:43:10 PM »
Venlafaxine Withdrawal Day 3: Decided to see if I could get by on 50% of my usual dose. Nope, started feeling shaky and sweaty and needed another quarter pill. Not feeling half as bad I expected to yet, just got a bit of a headache and feeling tired as I typed. The 75% dose hasn't made me puke so that's good.

Also just watched a programme in which a dog died and as my eyes wetted I realised I may have become a bit more emotional than normal. I'm soppy for dogs at the best of times but fuck's sake, not this soppy. Think I need a big fuck-off stack of feelgood films.

Blue Jam

• COLOSSAL DESSERT TOWER
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2020, 10:50:05 PM »
I should add, I'm very lucky to live at one end and work at the other end of one of those cycle routes they have now. Write to your councilors, tell them you want room for cycling, tell them to tell drivers to get fucked.

I suppose I'm lucky my commute takes in two national parks, but they're hilly ones and I'm not used to cycling up hills at all. The last time I did a lot of cycling was in London which is a lot flatter than Edinburgh. I'm a lot fitter than I was six months ago but progress has still been infuriatingly slow.

Blue Jam

• COLOSSAL DESSERT TOWER
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2020, 12:35:25 PM »
Hope the venlafaxine withdrawal goes OK for you. If you want a few tips, I'd recommend asking for some anti-emetics from your GP (cyclizine works for some folk, not for me, and prochlorperazine works fine), keep the lights low, and don't move your head too much. And stock up on paracetamol.

Just wanted to say this has all been very useful, thanks. Down to 50% of my usual dose now (so I'm now on 37.5mg). Not out of the woods yet but hoping to be clean and serene by Christmas.

I forgot to ask my GP for some antiemetics but the nausea hasn't been too bad. The worst thing has been the tiredness, the headaches and the brain fog, and keeping the lights low and getting lots of rest has really helped for that. Paracetamol for the flu-like symptoms has been good and I have been staying hydrated which seems to be helping. I've had a few hot flushes and outbreaks of sweating but my little desk fan has been good for that.

I have also lost 1.5 kilos without even trying so that's a bonus. I didn't want to blame the drugs for my weight gain as it felt like making a lame excuse but I haven't been eating less and I've actually been exercising less and sleeping more so there must be something to it. Venlafaxine may be good for depression but I found it far more depressing to catch glimpses of myself in the mirrors at work and see myself getting increasingly Stuart Bingham-shaped.

Thanks again CG!

Tags: