Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Remote workers' tax

Started by Thomas, November 12, 2020, 12:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

If they make me pay 5% tax I'll work 10% less hard.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 23, 2020, 02:25:56 PM
If they make me pay 5% tax I'll work 10% less hard.

I'm not sure I can match that without descending into negative output levels.

Fambo Number Mive

The Economist gets on the "fuck remote workers" train: https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1335290858128588800

I can only read the first two paragraphs without paying (which in fairness does make the point that remote working has not dented productivity).

It does seem weird to assume that people will decide to move to a cheaper place to live just because they work remotely. It also ignores that people working from home save companies money in heating, lighting and sanitation costs.

It's worrying how the effects of the pandemic are being used as an excuse to make things harder for ordinary people.

bgmnts

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 06, 2020, 02:37:59 PM
It's worrying how the effects of the pandemic are being used as an excuse to make things harder for ordinary people.

I mean, this was always the end game wasn"t it? Never waste a good crisis.

Non Stop Dancer

I remember at the beginning of all this, some commentators saying things like "The people are going to have to be rewarded after this (being locked down, jobs lost etc), we can't go back to normal", as if there would be some kind of new deal. But no, it'll just go back to exactly how things were but with less opportunity and even more austerity, because our leaders have no fucking imagination whatsoever.

olliebean

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on December 06, 2020, 09:00:14 PM
I remember at the beginning of all this, some commentators saying things like "The people are going to have to be rewarded after this (being locked down, jobs lost etc), we can't go back to normal", as if there would be some kind of new deal. But no, it'll just go back to exactly how things were but with less opportunity and even more austerity, because our leaders have no fucking imagination whatsoever.

Yes, and after all the talk at the start about how this would be an opportunity to find better ways of doing things, frankly my heart sinks every time I hear anyone talking about wanting to "get back to normal," as if normal was anything more than passable for most people and fucking dreadful for very many.