Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most successful sitcoms?

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 12, 2020, 04:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I don't know if this is worth a thread, but it occured to me the other day that Ted Danson has been a star of three different sitcoms that have been "successes" (multi-season runs on network TV) - "Cheers", "Becker" and "The Good Place" (and he has another one coming fairly soon).

Michael J Fox had two hits (Family Ties and Spin City) and a few that only made it to one season.

It's a bit different in the UK, but Rik Mayall  had "The Young Ones", "The New Statesman" and "Bottom".

Is there someone with more longevity / success I've not mentioned? Or is this a bad idea for a thread? You be the judge!

Petey Pate

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 12, 2020, 04:48:07 PMIs there someone with more longevity / success I've not mentioned? Or is this a bad idea for a thread? You be the judge!

If writers/producers count, then John Sullivan?  James L. Brooks? 

Gulftastic

Henry Winkler? Happy Days, Arrested Development, Parks & Recreation, Barry

JaDanketies

Kelsey Grammer played the same character (Dr Fraiser Crane) in two different sitcoms for over 20 years.

steveh

I Love Lucy (180 episodes)
The Lucy Show (136 episodes)
Here's Lucy (144 episodes)

thenoise

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 12, 2020, 04:48:07 PM
I don't know if this is worth a thread, but it occured to me the other day that Ted Danson has been a star of three different sitcoms that have been "successes" (multi-season runs on network TV) - "Cheers", "Becker" and "The Good Place" (and he has another one coming fairly soon).

Michael J Fox had two hits (Family Ties and Spin City) and a few that only made it to one season.

It's a bit different in the UK, but Rik Mayall  had "The Young Ones", "The New Statesman" and "Bottom".

Is there someone with more longevity / success I've not mentioned? Or is this a bad idea for a thread? You be the judge!

Young Ones, Filthy Rich and Bottom were more or less.the same show,I think? At least they were all spin offs of each other.

Ronnie Barker had two long running and contrasting sitcoms at the same time - Porridge and Open all Hours.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

David Jason with Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses and Father Ted.

Could say Jeffrey Tambor (Larry Sanders/Arrested Development/Transparent/Archer) or
Julia Louis Dreyfus (Seinfeld/New Adventures of Old Christine- never seen but she won an Emmy for it/Veep/Curb at a push)

Hand Solo

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 12, 2020, 05:10:17 PM
David Jason with Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses and Father Ted.

Says he was given the part of Corporal Jones in Dad's Army as well, but some bigwig at the Beeb vetoed it fer Dunn (Verdun)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Does The Darling Buds of May count as well?

Captain Z

If we're talking about actors, then Matt Berry as Matt Berry in

Darkplace
Snuff Box
The IT Crowd
Toast Of London
House Of Fools

and many others

Tony Tony Tony

Lets not forget the imperious Paul Shane in...

Hi De Hi
You Rang M'Lord
Oh Doctor Beeching

Or Su Pollard in...

Hi De Hi
You Rang M'Lord
Oh Doctor Beeching

Or Jeffrey Holland in...

Hi De Hi
You Rang M'Lord
Oh Doctor Beeching

Gulftastic

Holland breaks the tie by appearing in It Ain't Half Hot, Mum.

the

Quote from: thenoise on November 12, 2020, 05:06:21 PMYoung Ones, Filthy Rich and Bottom were more or less.the same show,I think?

Oh do fuck off

olliebean

Rowan Atkinson in:
    The Black Adder
    Blackadder II
    Blackadder the Third
    Blackadder Goes Forth
    Mr Bean
    The Thin Blue Line

That's three things even if you count all the Blackadders as one.

magval

Reading the liner notes for the Monty Python boxset, it seems like comedians and writers used to just have TV show after TV show, loads of which I've never heard of and some (like At Last The 1948 Show and Do Not Adjust Your Set most famously) leading directly to the more famous things we know of. But the Pythons, Marty Feldman, David Frost, all these people have tons of credits against their names before they hit big.

LuckyMan4Life

dissolute ocelot

Hank Azaria in Simpsons, Brockmire, Herman's Head and more.

Andy147

Nicholas Lyndhurst was in Only Fools and Horses, Goodnight Sweetheart, Butterflies, The Two of Us, The Piglet Files and After You've Gone (plus Going Straight, but that only lasted for one series).

studpuppet

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: thenoise on November 12, 2020, 05:06:21 PM
Young Ones, Filthy Rich and Bottom were more or less.the same show,I think? At least they were all spin offs of each other.

They weren't the same show at all, nor were they spin-offs from each other.

Katey Sagal: Married with Children, Futurama, 8 Simple Rules, and everyone's favourite sitcom Sons of Anarchy

Gulftastic

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 13, 2020, 12:59:49 AM
Katey Sagal: Married with Children, Futurama, 8 Simple Rules, and everyone's favourite sitcom Sons of Anarchy

And she's now Dan's love interest in the Rosanne-less 'The Conners'.

Replies From View

Quote from: jamiefairlie on November 13, 2020, 06:45:27 AM
or indeed Dickie Briers.

Roughly the same show, or at least a spin-off, of June Whitfield.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 13, 2020, 12:43:30 AM
They weren't the same show at all, nor were they spin-offs from each other.

In my head it's cannon that Rik and Vivian moved in with each other after college, Rik became apolitical and Vivian changed his name to a boy's name

paruses

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 13, 2020, 09:16:23 AM
In my head it's cannon that Rik and Vivian moved in with each other after college, Rik became apolitical and Vivian changed his name to a boy's name

Same for me. From the very little I have seen of Bottom I assumed they were the same characters in a different situation Iis that fair to say?

I'm not invested in it either way so if anyone wants to reply yes/no/sort of then that's fine.

the

They're separate characters. Separate situations. Separate shows.

All you're doing is registering the observation that some of the same people were involved, and that there are similarities in the style of comedy (coming as it does from some of the same creators).

It's just a disingenuous arsehole way of dictating that everything Rik and Ade did was a rehash just because there are certain distinctive themes in their humour.

Gurke and Hare

I think it's fair to say that they're essentially the same characters, at different ages in different sits. Rik's character is a deluded fool who thinks he's everything he's not, and doesn't see why everyone else doesn't think as much of him as he does himself. Ade's character is a violent lunatic who settles down gradually as he ages. They may not actually be the same people, but there's a definite Blackadder style lineage there.