Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:00:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Intrusive Thoughts

Started by Shaky, November 13, 2020, 08:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bence Fekete

I get these. Much less so since I calmed my diet down with more whole food type stuff.

As a sort of pseudo marshmallow experiment once I popped a tub of ice-cream in the middle of the room while I was on acid and deliberately tried to ignore it for a good hour or so until it melted away..  I could see all these tiny thoughts swirling around my brain, manipulating me, scowling me, subtle at first but then more furiously; trying to push me further into boredom, despair and self-hate all so that I would just crack and GIVE IN to all that amazing sugar and finally have the discomfort cease. 

Then when that didn't work my brain grew even more feral and ludicrously dark, deeply unpleasant thoughts charged at me from nowhere pushing my tolerance to the absolute limit and I'm clenching muscles by this stage trying not to capitulate, battling my own mind, and I thought: ah, this isn't really me anymore. Something is causing this, but it is not I.

Shaky

I think I see what you're getting at. Grasp the demon by the horns and look that fucker right in the face?

Blue Jam

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on November 13, 2020, 02:21:37 PM
Are you talking about Pure O, which is a form of OCD?
It's rare and misunderstood condition.*
First of all you need to have this mantra "Its not me its my OCD".
A lot of people are ashamed of talking about it as they think it somehow reflects on their character or personality.
The thoughts can be anything from violence to inappropriate extreme sexual thoughts.
Just remember this is not the real you this is OCD talking/thinking this

These were my first thoughts too, but only because I watched the excellent Channel 4 comedy/drama Pure:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jan/21/extreme-sex-ocd-pure-tv-drama-smash-taboos-channel-4

The protagonist was referred for counselling for sex addiction because her intrusive thoughts were mostly sexual, before she was diagnosed with Pure O and got more appropriate help.

It's not without its critics among actual Pure O sufferers, but the response was pretty positive:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/20/pure-reviewed-by-people-with-ocd-channel-4

TrenterPercenter

I think it is probably a good idea to not focus on OCD so much here, intrusive thoughts are a transdiagnostic symptom and do not mean someone has or requires a diagnosis of OCD.  Experiencing intrusive thoughts is pretty normal and should only really be clinically concerning if they are so severe that they are regularly severely disrupting functioning.

The repetitive nature of these thoughts (which by no means have to be identical they can just be themes) are referred to as rumination.  Intrusive thoughts and the rumination of them might be linked to OCD but they are absolutely not unique to it and they appear in lots of other diagnoses as well as non-diagnostic conditions such as bereavement and trauma.

As a few people have pointed out, managing these thoughts can be struggle but is achievable, brains are hellishly complicated things but for the main (well our conscious interaction with them) they are akin to muscles that can be influenced through exercises.

QDRPHNC

Mine consist of constantly reminding myself what a cunt I am and replaying all the major and minor ways I've embarrassed myself.

I wouldn't describe myself as anxious or depressed these days, but I can assume that 40 or so years of such has carved some pretty deep pathways in my brain.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 16, 2020, 12:33:14 PM
Mine consist of constantly reminding myself what a cunt I am and replaying all the major and minor ways I've embarrassed myself.

I wouldn't describe myself as anxious or depressed these days, but I can assume that 40 or so years of such has carved some pretty deep pathways in my brain.

Yep this is what happens it becomes embedded and ingrained.  Tell a kid they are worthless and even when they are a CEO they will still believe it. 

These are the actual real damaging aspects of poverty where poor people grow up believing they don't deserve to be happy or successful and they have very little in way of role models to push against this.  Obviously this is also a massive factor in sexism and racism.

Menu

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on November 13, 2020, 02:21:37 PM

The thoughts can be anything from violence to inappropriate extreme sexual thoughts.

PHWOOOAAAARRRRRHH!

popcorn

bumming
bumming
bumming
bumming
bumming
bumming

hamfist

Quote from: pancreas on November 13, 2020, 11:41:51 AM
Shout out loud. Doesn't matter what. Dominate your brain.

'WHAT WILL I COOK TONIGHT'

for example. Has to be out loud.

jesus yes ! I do this, and for some reason I shout "Horse" and that interrupts me thinking what I don't want to

Shaky

I do the shouting thing but it's not sustainable when dealing with constant thoughts. Can't be shouting, "Horse!" hundreds of times a times a day, as fun as it sounds.