Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:06:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why watch Bottom?

Started by paruses, November 13, 2020, 10:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

I have never watched Bottom. I've seen a few clips at most. I think the thing that put me off was: One note, Rik and Vivian revived but older doesn't intrigue me, not a fan of gross out humour, not a fan of anarchic humour (anarchic being short hand for exhuasting slapstick), the set always made me feel a bit queasy.

I'm not saying that any of the above is accurate but it's something I've never been able to get past and see if I'm right. Is there subtlety and character / plot arcs? Do you have to watch a few to get the in-jokes and really appreciate it (am thinking of when I listened to ISIHAC a friend who enjoyed it but said he knew he was missing a lot of it)? Is it just stupidly funny like (I can't think of an example)?

I've never heard anyone I know who has very similar tastes to mine say they've not enjoyed it.

Quite a few people have discovered Seinfeld nearly 20 years after the fact recently so does anyone think Bottom would be similar.

I also don't like the title.

Lemming

Just dive into it, only 18 episodes. There's no real character or plot arcs, and there are a minimal amount of self-referential in-jokes. It's just stupidly funny, every other line is either a joke in itself or mundane but delivered in a way that makes it funny.

If you're looking for an episode recommendation to start on, try Gas and Culture, they both embody what's best about the show.

evilcommiedictator

you should watch it so Guest House Paradiso makes sense

poo

What's the point of this? Just watch it and decide for yourself.

Blumf

Quote from: paruses on November 13, 2020, 10:33:31 AM
not a fan of gross out humour, not a fan of anarchic humour (anarchic being short hand for exhuasting slapstick), the set always made me feel a bit queasy.

Probably not for you then. But, as Lemming says, give Gas a punt. The show is one of the best slapstick comedies ever made, combined with the best of British desolate grime, but if that's not your bag, fine. Bit of a shame though.

Talking of the set, have you watched 15 Storeys High?

MojoJojo

The Rule of Three podcast on Bottom is quie a good listen, and make me want to watch it. It's not really my thing though.

Bazooka

Mayall perfected the snivelling pathetic character, nobody has come close since to doing such a good job.

phantom_power

You should watch Bottom because it is a brilliantly crafted sitcom, boiling the format down to its essence. There is slapstick violence and anarchic humour but so much more as well. It is sort of cliche now but a lot of Bottom is like a lost Beckett play. It is a brilliant and hilarious musing on the futility of existence, musings on wasted lives and impotent bravado. I will always love The Young Ones more because of its energy and the time in my life I discovered it, and Filthy Rich and Catflap feels like the connoisseur's choice but Bottom is great as well

thenoise

Dont think theres any point sitting through more than one if you aren't enjoying it. Just watch Gas, theres no great character or plot arcs to worry about, it's just a hilarious half an hour. The rest of it is more of the same.

I dont think the individual slapstick pieces work minus context, for the most part, so maybe watch the whole episode. Really interested to know what you think afterwards. I watched it as a teen already having a prejudice to love everything Mayall.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Bazooka on November 13, 2020, 01:01:23 PM
Mayall perfected the snivelling pathetic character, nobody has come close since to doing such a good job.

Sebastian Cobb

Thread could've been a lot shorter if it was 'why wouldn't you watch Bottom?'

JesusAndYourBush

If you like any of the other stuff Rik & Ade have done then watch it, you'll like it.
If you don't like the Young Ones etc then you probably won't like Bottom either.
But there's no hidden complexities, just dive in.

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 13, 2020, 02:34:32 PM

Morrissey's let himself go!

up_the_hampipe

Watching it for the first in 2020 might lose some of the magic. Lots of people love it on here, but nostalgia can cover up flaws. It's certainly dated and many of the gags would get a brick thrown in your face if you tried them at an open mic, but there's still some funny bits. Although if you find the slapstick exhausting, probably not for you at all.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 13, 2020, 05:11:42 PM
Watching it for the first in 2020 might lose some of the magic. Lots of people love it on here, but nostalgia can cover up flaws. It's certainly dated and many of the gags would get a brick thrown in your face if you tried them at an open mic, but there's still some funny bits. Although if you find the slapstick exhausting, probably not for you at all.

I think this is the most accurate take.

Never understand the adoration for it. Great atmosphere, but a ton of the dialogue / jokes are incredibly clunky.

Rolf Lundgren

It's in the performance though. The jokes would die a death in some people's hands but fuck me, Rik and Ade were incredible together and whether you're watching it 30 years or 300 years into the future, it's always going to have that spark.

the

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 13, 2020, 05:11:42 PMWatching it for the first in 2020 might lose some of the magic. Lots of people love it on here, but nostalgia can cover up flaws. It's certainly dated and many of the gags would get a brick thrown in your face if you tried them at an open mic, but there's still some funny bits. Although if you find the slapstick exhausting, probably not for you at all.

^ The comedy opinion equivalent of a packet of very mild cheddar

gib

not seen much of it but assume it's the less successful sequel to the Young Ones, that or a spin-off

DrGreggles

Quote from: gib on November 13, 2020, 10:12:28 PM
not seen much of it but assume it's the less successful sequel to the Young Ones, that or a spin-off

You assume wrongly.

DrGreggles

Hard to tell.
Some people are genuinely that oblivious.

Replies From View

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 13, 2020, 02:34:32 PM

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 13, 2020, 03:21:58 PM
Morrissey's let himself go!

No if you look very closely you'll see he is still clutching himself very firmly.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 13, 2020, 10:42:03 PM
Hard to tell.
Some people are genuinely that oblivious.

No it's not and yes you are.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: the on November 13, 2020, 10:09:17 PM
^ The comedy opinion equivalent of a packet of very mild cheddar

Well, I actually like the show, but let's be honest about aspects of it.

Lungpuddle

Bottom is fantastic and I agree with everyone who loves the show but that cheddar comment can fuck off. Tuna pasta bake is shit without very mild cheddar. Jesus Christ, what the shit.

dead-ced-dead

It's definitely a show that excels with the two performances. Ade and Rik can deliver even the clunkiest dialogue and they commit to the slapstick fights with the same energy and danger as the best of the silent era. But, there are some dud episodes and gags.

the

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 14, 2020, 12:57:41 AMWell, I actually like the show, but let's be honest about aspects of it.

Be directly honest then, instead of crouching behind a string of anaemic equivocating comedy-critique clichés like a one-man think tank.

up_the_hampipe

the

Congratulations on actually getting off the fence