Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:18:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Flag

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, June 12, 2005, 11:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

We've not had a thread about Black Flag for ages, so I thought I'd start one. Anyone else I fan? Damaged is an essential album for me, not everyone's cup of tea I suppose but it's got some absolutely great tracks on it. Depression, Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie and Six Pack are favourites of mine although I really like all the songs on it. I've heard a couple of those songs with that other singers vocals (not Rollins) and didn't think much of them to be honest, his voice sounds a little bit Lydon-ish and I find it irritating. Rollins is great though, as a vocalist and as a front man. Anyway, what are your opinions on the band. Favourite songs, albums etc?

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Anyway, what are your opinions on the band?

I Really Must Get Some Stuff!

Any tips on where to start, what to avoid, and so on?

Brinx

I picked up My War in the mid 90's due to the SST connection with other bands I liked, tried my best, but found it shelved more and more often because it was so utterly lo-fi and, except for the title track, not all that great.

I saw him this/last year doing stand up which was excellent so it sparked a new interest in older Black Flag stuff. Rollins Band - Get Some Go Again has been a regular in the car stereo for years so I didn't lose all touch in the interim. I've picked up Damage in the last few months and it's a great packed album.

So yeah, love the Rollins.

Goldentony

The rollins stuff isnt so hot, except for damged, marvellous album, couldnt pick out a favourite track. justa shame about everything that followed it. 'rats eyes' and all that, urgh.

'first four years' lp is absoloutely fucking BRILLIANT, so are the first few singles, prefer dez cadena or keith morris on vocals to rollins.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Captain Crunch"
Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Anyway, what are your opinions on the band?

I Really Must Get Some Stuff!

Any tips on where to start, what to avoid, and so on?
Damaged is the best album from them I've heard, it's a really good album to start with. When I first got it I didn't like it at first, it does take a few listens to get into but once that happens it's great. There's nothing like a bit of angry music. If you maybe want to download a few tracks as an introduction I'd recommend Drinking and Driving, Depression, My War and TV Party.

bennyprofane

generally i've never liked black falg as much as the bands that picked up where the bllack flag sound left off.  My war and damaged obviously changed the tone a bit, and i quite enjoy both of them, but that evil sludgey type thing was done by flipper and bands like that a while before flag got round to adding rollinsy vocals to the mix.
to veer almost off topic, i think Big Black are one of the greatest bands ever to come out of that american hardcore scene, and LOL NO ability to differentiate between big black and black flag is a very good barometer of taste.

The Plaque Goblin

'Damaged' is one album that seems to suffer from really terrible production. Perhaps it's just the copy I have but the sound really weak.

The same goes for the Big Black album I've got as well as The Cramps' 'Songs the Lord Taught Us' and the Scratch Acid and Birthday Party best ofs I have too.