Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:52:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Laura Cannel & Stewart Lee

Started by king_tubby, November 13, 2020, 10:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

So this arrived today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Vox4QiPmU

I heard a track on Late Junction the other week, with old Stewart Lees doing some stories and singing.

sardines

Laura created a really lovely video around this release for the virtual Tusk Festival (I guess available on YouTube).

The Earth With Her Crowns released earlier this year is also fantastic.

Sebastian Cobb

He appeared on the new Asian Dub Foundation LP recently as well. Although it's just sampled from a comedy vehicle routine.

SteveDave

Of course...SteveDave mentions his LP that Stewart Lee is on again.

Captain Z

Asian Dub Foundation have sampled the Paul Nuttalls part of his routine from Comedy Vehicle, and it's a great track. It's the one SebCob was referring to in his post above.

They've got Stew to appear in the video for it.

king_tubby

Do you remember the 1990s, Stew? With the dance rock crossover bands? You've seen them, in the 1990s, on the Top of the Pops.

Captain Z

Oh, are you referring to the comments? In which case Jesus H.

The Mollusk

So they sampled the standup routine, and then afterwards they asked Lee to record a video with them where he mimes along to it? Why didn't they ask him to just re-record the vocals instead of using the audio from the live show which is is messy due to the aggravated nature of the performance and the fucking audience laughter permeating in and being chopped off at either end?

Awful use of sampling, i.e. using something very well known (without any contextual ambiguity or manipulation to add any magic or intrigue whatsoever) to embellish your shitty song which you think doesn't need to be half as inventive as it could be because the samples you're using are the standout feature. Also, using said samples as if you had a singer on the track, or even an MC or poet, which you haven't, you've just got an excerpt from a fucking comedy show you lazy cunts.

This is absolute piss. I thought I'd heard the bottom of the barrel with shit like IDLES and Kate Tempest but it turns out there are depths I'd convinced myself were unimaginable, and here they are. I read some interviews and the band said something along the lines of "wooargh the absolute mad thing is that this message is still relevant now and probably will be for quite some time!!" Yeah, and that makes your piece of shit artistic statement justifiable does it? Fucking hell.

Quote from: Captain Z on December 02, 2020, 03:50:25 PM
Asian Dub Foundation have sampled the Paul Nuttalls part of his routine from Comedy Vehicle, and it's a great track.

No it isn't.

bgmnts

Quote from: Captain Z on December 02, 2020, 03:50:25 PM
Asian Dub Foundation have sampled the Paul Nuttalls part of his routine from Comedy Vehicle, and it's a great track. It's the one SebCob was referring to in his post above.

They've got Stew to appear in the video for it.

Ha yeah I know, just a bit bewildered!

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 02, 2020, 03:59:52 PM
So they sampled the standup routine, and then afterwards they asked Lee to record a video with them where he mimes along to it? Why didn't they ask him to just re-record the vocals instead of using the audio from the live show which is is messy due to the aggravated nature of the performance and the fucking audience laughter permeating in and being chopped off at either end?

Awful use of sampling, i.e. using something very well known (without any contextual ambiguity or manipulation to add any magic or intrigue whatsoever) to embellish your shitty song which you think doesn't need to be half as inventive as it could be because the samples you're using are the standout feature. Also, using said samples as if you had a singer on the track, or even an MC or poet, which you haven't, you've just got an excerpt from a fucking comedy show you lazy cunts.

This is absolute piss. I thought I'd heard the bottom of the barrel with shit like IDLES and Kate Tempest but it turns out there are depths I'd convinced myself were unimaginable, and here they are. I read some interviews and the band said something along the lines of "wooargh the absolute mad thing is that this message is still relevant now and probably will be for quite some time!!" Yeah, and that makes your piece of shit artistic statement justifiable does it? Fucking hell.

No it isn't.

Nah c'mon mate, tell us what you really think.

The Mollusk

Quote from: bgmnts on December 02, 2020, 04:00:18 PM
Nah c'mon mate, tell us what you really think.

sound of the summer lol if u cant wait for the festival season just smoke a fatty and skank out to this 1 in kitchen :) p.l.u.r.

Petey Pate

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 02, 2020, 03:59:52 PM

I listened to a recent interview with Stewart Lee where he said his daughter described the Asian Dub Foundation track as the 'only thing you've been involved with that isn't awful'.

I quite like some of ADF's other tunes, but this is pretty lazy - they even cut out some of the funniest bits from the original routine.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 02, 2020, 04:31:47 PM
sound of the summer lol if u cant wait for the festival season just smoke a fatty and skank out to this 1 in kitchen :) p.l.u.r.

Lite dat phat blunt from the Aga, Massiv!