Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:10:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ways in which YouTube is still shit

Started by pcsjwgm, November 14, 2020, 01:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcsjwgm

- End cards showing videos to watch next. The feature itself is fine, but in cases where the video maker stupidly doesn't add a dedicated end screen to show these cards, they just block the video and you can't disable them like you used to be able to with annotations.
- When a video is paused, the progress bar at the bottom does not go away. When a video is in full screen and paused, the title at the top and the progress bar at the bottom do not go away. (This is not a problem for the YouTube mobile app, though.)
- Most annoying one: Playlist management is extremely limited. You can't select multiple videos in one playlist and delete or move/copy them at once to another playlist.

the

My primary issues with YT would be: their desperation to provoke me into clicking on some irrelevant shit made by some irrelevant cunts that they're aggressively promoting at the moment, and the fact that the site gets clunkier and more bloated by the week. You can smell the complacency

Fr.Bigley

When the opening "Trending" page is just pure full of insipid, vapid and narcissistic kids yabbering on about some shit they don't understand. Make up tutorials with a moral message, Live streamers with the social commentary nous of a 9am wetherspoons drinker, "Gurus" selling some 21st century pyramid scheme, professional virtue signallers jumping on every micro issue  and lifestyle videos by people whom had youtube not been invented, would most certainly be working in a sky call centre. Call it Hypernormalisation or whatever, But I wan't this lot to fuck right off.

touchingcloth

Quote from: the on November 14, 2020, 02:13:15 AM
My primary issues with YT would be: their desperation to provoke me into clicking on some irrelevant shit made by some irrelevant cunts that they're aggressively promoting at the moment, and the fact that the site gets clunkier and more bloated by the week. You can smell the complacency

I have plugins which hide suggested videos in the sidebar, and hide the comments beneath the video. It makes the whole experience much more enjoyable.

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on November 14, 2020, 10:33:02 AM
When the opening "Trending" page is just pure full of insipid, vapid and narcissistic kids yabbering on about some shit they don't understand. Make up tutorials with a moral message, Live streamers with the social commentary nous of a 9am wetherspoons drinker, "Gurus" selling some 21st century pyramid scheme, professional virtue signallers jumping on every micro issue  and lifestyle videos by people whom had youtube not been invented, would most certainly be working in a sky call centre. Call it Hypernormalisation or whatever, But I wan't this lot to fuck right off.

I also never come in via the front door, as it were. I'll either head straight for a channel I want to watch to see if they have anything new, or Google for the specific video I want if I'm after a one-off.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've never bothered with the Trending page. The sinister algorithm seems to be working perfectly for me, so the Home screen only recommends stuff I'm interested in.

Quote from: pcsjwgm on November 14, 2020, 01:52:57 AM
Most annoying one: Playlist management is extremely limited. You can't select multiple videos in one playlist and delete or move/copy them at once to another playlist.
That one is a big bother for me. I have a large playlist of music videos saved and shifting tracks around is very clunky. You're stuck with moving them to the top or bottom of the list, or veeeeeerrrrrry slowly dragging them up or down.

A related issue is that, whenever a video gets deleted for whatever reason, it doesn't tell you what the video was. I can understand them not wanting to make it easy for you to search for the same pirated content again, but it's blinking annoying.

The biggest annoyance is adverts randomly playing during the middle of videos. Thankfully, I've got ad blockers on my PC, so it's only an issue on my phone.

gib

can't click 'like' when viewing fullscreen

crankshaft

The amount of adverts you now have to sit through on mobile is offensive. As is the recent redesign of the queue on the Android app, which takes away the transport controls. On desktop, the CONSTANT nagging to log in is an all-new ballache.

Oh, and the minor issue of YouTube allowing misinformation and conspiracy theories to run rampant, of course.

AsparagusTrevor

Yeah, the adverts have gone out of control. I've seen 15 minute videos that have about six ad breaks, plus of course a few minutes of the video are taken up by the sponsor plugging.

Fambo Number Mive

Can't read the internet while you watch a video in the Youtube app.

Zetetic

Reminder that on Android, NewPipe exists as an alternative to the YouTube app. (Although I can't pretend it doesn't break quite often.)

Malcy

The ads are a right pain in the arse now. I usually watched on the SmartTube app or whatever it was called but it broke and an alternative took its place but it's shite so have been using the proper app and having to watch with ads again is shit.

Got a 20 second unskippable ad 30 seconds from the end of an 18 minute song, was well pissed off.

BlodwynPig

Yeh, go ahead, skip this ad, just like you skipped the gas chamber, the Hiroshima A-bomb and the killing fields...

peanutbutter

getting rid of the recommendations sidebar and home page suggestions drastically improved my experience. I'd still enable them if I'm playing music with friends around or something but otherwise it's a great circuit breaker, "What should I do next? oh, no suggestions... I'll do something less shit than sitting through a 25 minute video about the history of the 3DO"

The day youtube stops letting adblockers is the day I stop using it entirely though. It's crazy how many adverts are on it these day. I imagine the only reason they haven't found a way to stop adblockers is that there's zero desire from any of the employees to ever push for it and they'd rather have them do dodgy govt contracts or w/e than risk a mutiny by adding a feature they actively despise enduring.

touchingcloth

I wonder if part of what feels like a lasseis fare attitude to ad blockers on their part is due to so many of the videos they host being adverts in themselves? They're probably quite aware that people would stop using the service and head elsewhere if their blockers stopped working, and creators would do the same in short order if their audience dropped. Gotta keep unboxing them loot crates.

ProvanFan

Bence Fekete

One of my UK channels mentioned recently that youtube randomly inserted a ridiculous number of ads into old vids retroactively so that he has to now go and investigate his whole back catalogue and remove.

I'm also getting on much better with the algo these days. There's usually about 1/7 videos I would actively choose to watch so for my lazy moments it's quicker than manually fishing them out. The playlist issues can be annoying and prevent me from relying on it too much. But other than that I'm not sure what else I can expect out of a free-to-use hobbies and interests random news activity centre. Maybe if they fixed comments so you could flip between serious/silly mode.

Captain Z

Just finished listening to the 7" version of a song? Well what you'll definitely want to hear next is the 12" version of the same song.

Marner and Me

Ad Block and Ad Block Plus are life savers

YouTube Vanced for Android too.

Zetetic

Strongly recommend moving to uBlock Origin over ABP at this point.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: peanutbutter on November 14, 2020, 09:09:35 PM
getting rid of the recommendations sidebar and home page suggestions drastically improved my experience. I'd still enable them if I'm playing music with friends around or something but otherwise it's a great circuit breaker, "What should I do next? oh, no suggestions... I'll do something less shit than sitting through a 25 minute video about the history of the 3DO"

The day youtube stops letting adblockers is the day I stop using it entirely though. It's crazy how many adverts are on it these day. I imagine the only reason they haven't found a way to stop adblockers is that there's zero desire from any of the employees to ever push for it and they'd rather have them do dodgy govt contracts or w/e than risk a mutiny by adding a feature they actively despise enduring.

Have adverts enhanced anyone's life? (apart from those who see them as entertainment in and of themselves). Gambling and adverts are in my top 5 scourges of humanity.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 14, 2020, 09:34:31 PM
I wonder if part of what feels like a lasseis fare attitude to ad blockers on their part is due to so many of the videos they host being adverts in themselves? They're probably quite aware that people would stop using the service and head elsewhere if their blockers stopped working, and creators would do the same in short order if their audience dropped. Gotta keep unboxing them loot crates.

Ad block doesn't seem to work on Safari. Either the adverts come or the video won't play.

Sebastian Cobb

That's reason enough to sack off Safari.

Got a new iPhone and they really abuse the haptic feedback function in the official app. Constant pestering to subscribe and comment and like and watch more videos, *tap*, *tap*, *tap*, like an impatient toddler tugging at your clothes, fuck off.

gib

Why do the comments have the option to click 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' yet there is only a number next to the 'thumbs up'? In other words, if you dislike a comment then clicking the 'thumbs down' icon seems to do nothing. Feel like i missed an announcement about this.

ASFTSN

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 17, 2020, 07:45:22 AM
Have adverts enhanced anyone's life? (apart from those who see them as entertainment in and of themselves). Gambling and adverts are in my top 5 scourges of humanity.

What are the other 4?

ASFTSN

Quote from: gib on November 17, 2020, 03:42:29 PM
Why do the comments have the option to click 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' yet there is only a number next to the 'thumbs up'? In other words, if you dislike a comment then clicking the 'thumbs down' icon seems to do nothing. Feel like i missed an announcement about this.

On the browser version there's numbers by both thumbs. I've found myself clicking the button to 'Like' things since lockdown, a sure sign of a decaying mind.

gib

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 17, 2020, 03:53:53 PM
On the browser version there's numbers by both thumbs. I've found myself clicking the button to 'Like' things since lockdown, a sure sign of a decaying mind.

I don't mean the thumbs for the video itself but the thumbs for viewers' comments.

Sebastian Cobb

Is there any real incentive to creators from liking/subscribing videos other than likes equalling more potential views of the current video and subscriptions meaning more potential views of future videos? The returns seem likely to be slim for how desperate they are so I'm guessing there might be but don't really understand the dynamics of youtube content creation.

MojoJojo

Tried to add the kids google accounts to the you tube app on my Roku, but can't because kids aren't allowed to use youtube, just youtube kids. And there's no youtube kids app for TVs - only android devices. So the kids just fill my recommendations with Minecraft videos and Sims makeover videos.

This is particularly annoying as youtube kids is just youtube with a kid friendly skin and restricted content. There's absolutely no reason why child accounts shouldn't be able to log in to youtube and have just the restricted content.

I'd start a champagne but pfffh, I'm busy.

Natnar

Surely by now they should have found a way to shuffle a playlist on the Youtube TV app?