Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:11:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GOTY 2020

Started by Chedney Honks, November 14, 2020, 07:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Kelvin on November 30, 2020, 01:31:37 PMI think it's a really good game for as long as you can be arsed being creative

Yeah, I liked the one on the DS, but yeah, it's one of those games you have to meet half way, you have to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, embrace the smoke and mirrors and get into the spirit of it. Take it for what it is, a comforting time sink. You definitely know when you're done though.
I really enjoyed picking flowers and trying on different hats though. It's good fun.

Really loved stardew valley, I think it's the best game in that ilk I've played, but again, once you've had enough, there's no convincing yourself otherwise.

I get the same sort of enjoyment from those things as I do from ARPGs. If they could make one where the combat was actually good and you could mine for resources and then make your farm or whatever, I'd be all over that!

Thursday

Quote from: Kelvin on November 30, 2020, 01:31:37 PM
I think it's a really good game for as long as you can be arsed being creative and building out/overhauling your island. The moment you decide to just sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour, it suddenly becomes massively boring and repetitive - same dialogue, same tasks, same everything. As I said in the thread at the time, you have to be working towards something at all times, and if you don't have that, or can't be bothered investing that much time, there's nothing else to the game.

I think this also ties into why most of us have found the updates uninspiring. Once I had made my island and got it how I wanted it, I wasn't interested in re-decorating everything, grinding out all the new DIY recipes from scratch, just for a few weeks of the event, etc. It's a game where you either have to invest lots of time and creativity, or get absolutely nothing out of it.

Fair, but I think there were various barriers that prevented me form being able to pursue projects I wanted do. Now this could at least have been salvaged if the dialogue wasn't so limited, but just getting the same things ever day made it not worth it.

Moribunderast

Going through this thread and then looking at my Steam account and PS4 library, it really has been a pretty nothing year for games. I enjoyed TLOU2 but it didn't "wow" me in any way. Spinch was a kinda fun platformer but had a stupid last level that I couldn't finish so I hope the devs stub their toes every morning. I bought some games that looked interesting (Beautiful Desolation, Carrion) but haven't gotten to them yet. I rarely buy AAA games new and nothing other than TLOU2 really compelled me to so I haven't played many big-budget games.

I guess by default my GOTY is Ori and the Will'O'the Wisps. Or maybe RE3 which I recently got on sale. Played it drunk the other night and was having a ball but I don't remember any of it or where I got to.

Yeah, shit year for games. Even my excitement for Cyberpunk 2077 has been massively diluted with the delays and the crunch and the whiney "fans" sending death threats over the delays. Games are shit, really. Reckon I'll throw out my PS4 and pour gasoline on my PC after I click 'post' on this.

MojoJojo

I think Hades is the only game released this year which I've played*, so I guess it's my GOTY by default. It's good, but it's got two big problems:
1) Runs are too long. I'm not sure what exactly could be done about this, but it kills my motivation to play, I want it to be a quick tea break game.
2)Every time Zagreus says "mate" I cringe.

I'm still playing a stupid amount of Slay the Spire now. To be honest, Sts is more like knitting for me now than an actual game. Just something to keep my fingers busy.

(*that's more about how many games I play and a general reluctance to buy full price games than any comment on this years releases.

The Culture Bunker

I did actually buy a game from this year tonight: Space Crew, the sequel to Bomber Crew. In fact, it's almost identical bar the old Lancaster swapped for a spaceship and a few tweaks added like a tractor beam and the potential to be boarded.

Luckily, I loved Bomber Crew and I'm liking this as well so far. Nice little diversion away from sessions on Hitman 2, which I finally picked up last week.

brat-sampson

LTTP, but fuuuuck me, Doom Eternal is awesome[nb]Shout out to Game Pass[/nb]. I'm not into FPSs on the whole, but I'm probably about 75% through this (At the second Big Boss fight) and it's one of the most intense games I've played in years. In battle you're always moving, always shooting, always thinking about what to shoot, and with what, planning the next moment, the next few seconds and what resource to prioritise next simultaneously while Mick Gordon melts your eardrums. Plot is bonkers, fuck it off, but considering I never got close to this involved with 2016, they must be doing something right. I know some people definitely prefer 2016's aesthetic and less-strict approach to weapon/target requirements, but when this thing gets spinning, there's nothing else like it.

The noise when you get a sticky-bomb attached to an arachnotron turret might be my fav. sound effect of the year.

Chedney Honks

Suddenly had a sense that all games are crap compared to anything else besides bullet hell 🤔🤔🤔

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on November 17, 2020, 09:53:05 PM
Haha, yeah, I try to stay positive on gaming forums because they're sensitive types who tend to take any criticisms of games they enjoy as direct personal insults.
If I've got nothing nice to say I'll just keep quiet unless someone specifically asks for my opinion.

I have been very, very quiet about Hades. It's the roguelite for people who don't like roguelites. There, I said it. Go play Leap of Fate - https://store.steampowered.com/app/363420/Leap_of_Fate/

I've never enjoyed any of supergiants games, come to think of it.

Hades sounds like my kind of game

Ferris

I don't think I played a single new game this year. Fucks wrong with me.

Oh wait no I played the Tony hawk remake, that was pretty good.

Blue Jam

Really bloody enjoying Crackdown 3 right now. Big daft game where you get to PARKOUR! about a big colourful cyberpunk city blowing shit up.

"ROAST THOSE ASSHOLES!

Ferris

Jam what has happened to your avatar?!

The little bunny doing his run was the only thing getting me through the year.

Blue Jam

Just changed it for Xmas innit? The cigs bunny will be back in 2021. Or whenever the Gävle Goat buys it. Whichever comes first.

Timothy

Quote from: Timothy on November 14, 2020, 08:40:47 AM
I think of all the games I played this year I enjoyed Desperados 3 the most. A triumphant return of one of my favorite series. Almost like playing an RTS Hitman.
Great soundtrack and voice-acting as well.

Although it's still early: Cyberpunk hasn't been released yet and I still have to play the new Yakuza. Might take the number one spot.

Yeah, Cyberpunk didn't take the number one spot.

My GOTY list of 2020:

1. Desperados 3
Absolutely brilliant. Like I said in my other post, it's like an RTS Hitman. So much creativity. Wonderful soundtrack, great writing. Every kill is a puzzle. Amazing game.

2. Astro's Playroom
Didn't expect much from this ''tech demo'' but it blew me away. A great introduction to the Dualsense but also a great platformer in itself. The game that made me the happiest this year so can't deny it a high spot in my GOTY list.

3. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
I love the Yakuza series but don't really enjoy the spinoffs. Fist of the North Star was alright and I didn't really like Judgement. Didn't have high expectations of Like a Dragon but it might be my favorite Yakuza game ever made. The RPG fights work. The new characters are great (I didn't even miss Kiryu) and both sidemissions and story are on another level. If you're new to the series start with this.

4. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Never played it on the Wii U and I really disliked Xenoblade 2 but gave it a shot. Loved every single minute of it. The story is great, the world is beautiful and the fights are really really fun. Best game I played on the Switch this year.

5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Ideal lockdown game. Enjoy the music and slowly building your village while being stuck in home.

6. Immortals: Fenyx Rising
Didn't expect this game with it's stupid name to end up in this list but I really enjoyed it. It's funny, it takes the best elements of the Ubisoft games and put it in this beautiful bright world and the puzzles are great. The game reminded me of BOTW although I enjoyed this game a bit more.

7. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
The levels are way too long and should have been chopped in two of three levels. The story makes no sense. There are some moments that are totally unfair to the player. Getting platinum won't be possible at all. The hidden boxes are bullshit. But it's still an absolutely brilliant platformer. One of the most difficult platformers I ever played.

8. The Last of Us 2
Too long and I quite disliked the latter part of it but all in all a great game. Stealth sections were great.

9. Spider-Man Miles Morales
I loved the first Spider-Man game and this was more of the same but better.

10. Final Fantasy Remake
I moaned a lot about this game while I was playing it and it was a bit too long but it was still one of the best games I've played this year. Can't wait to play part two and see the story unfold. (never played the original)

11. Murder By Numbers
Great little Picross Detective Game. Ideal game for the Switch

Honorable Mentions
- Paper Mario. Great writing but the puzzle fights sucked.
- Bugsnax. Surprisingly dark detective game. Bit too repetitive but still fun.
- Assassins Creed Valhalla. Oddysey but with vikings. Fun game.
- Dark Souls. Can't get past the second boss but still enjoyed my time with it.
- Persona 4. Technically not a 2020 release but it released on Steam this year. Loved it.
- Wasteland 3. Great RPG but it crashed so much that I can't really recommend playing it until it's properly patched.

Shit list
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Watch Dogs Legion

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 21, 2020, 09:53:07 PM
Suddenly had a sense that all games are crap compared to anything else besides bullet hell 🤔🤔🤔

Purely anecdotal but I bought one of them roguelikes the other day, fancying something turn based, nice and relaxing to wind down with of a nighttime.
Played it for an hour and a half and it wasn't very good so I refunded it, fired up an old roguelike that I knew I liked, got restless, fucked it off and went back to playing Tengai.

Certainly makes you think.

bgmnts

Quote from: Timothy on December 22, 2020, 10:28:31 AM
Yeah, Cyberpunk didn't take the number one spot.

My GOTY list of 2020:

1. Desperados 3
Absolutely brilliant. Like I said in my other post, it's like an RTS Hitman. So much creativity. Wonderful soundtrack, great writing. Every kill is a puzzle. Amazing game.

2. Astro's Playroom
Didn't expect much from this ''tech demo'' but it blew me away. A great introduction to the Dualsense but also a great platformer in itself. The game that made me the happiest this year so can't deny it a high spot in my GOTY list.

3. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
I love the Yakuza series but don't really enjoy the spinoffs. Fist of the North Star was alright and I didn't really like Judgement. Didn't have high expectations of Like a Dragon but it might be my favorite Yakuza game ever made. The RPG fights work. The new characters are great (I didn't even miss Kiryu) and both sidemissions and story are on another level. If you're new to the series start with this.

4. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Never played it on the Wii U and I really disliked Xenoblade 2 but gave it a shot. Loved every single minute of it. The story is great, the world is beautiful and the fights are really really fun. Best game I played on the Switch this year.

5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Ideal lockdown game. Enjoy the music and slowly building your village while being stuck in home.

6. Immortals: Fenyx Rising
Didn't expect this game with it's stupid name to end up in this list but I really enjoyed it. It's funny, it takes the best elements of the Ubisoft games and put it in this beautiful bright world and the puzzles are great. The game reminded me of BOTW although I enjoyed this game a bit more.

7. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
The levels are way too long and should have been chopped in two of three levels. The story makes no sense. There are some moments that are totally unfair to the player. Getting platinum won't be possible at all. The hidden boxes are bullshit. But it's still an absolutely brilliant platformer. One of the most difficult platformers I ever played.

8. The Last of Us 2
Too long and I quite disliked the latter part of it but all in all a great game. Stealth sections were great.

9. Spider-Man Miles Morales
I loved the first Spider-Man game and this was more of the same but better.

10. Final Fantasy Remake
I moaned a lot about this game while I was playing it and it was a bit too long but it was still one of the best games I've played this year. Can't wait to play part two and see the story unfold. (never played the original)

11. Murder By Numbers
Great little Picross Detective Game. Ideal game for the Switch

Honorable Mentions
- Paper Mario. Great writing but the puzzle fights sucked.
- Bugsnax. Surprisingly dark detective game. Bit too repetitive but still fun.
- Assassins Creed Valhalla. Oddysey but with vikings. Fun game.
- Dark Souls. Can't get past the second boss but still enjoyed my time with it.
- Persona 4. Technically not a 2020 release but it released on Steam this year. Loved it.
- Wasteland 3. Great RPG but it crashed so much that I can't really recommend playing it until it's properly patched.

Shit list
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Watch Dogs Legion

I really enjoyed Shadow Tactics so its good to know. Is Commandos 2 and Praetorian any good?

Timothy

Haven't played those yet but the Commandos reviews seem to be quite bad. Waiting for a sale.

Pink Gregory

Isn't Commandos 2 considered the best one?  Though I think the expansion levels are considered on the unpleasantly difficult side.

Commandos 3 seems okay (I played the first level years ago) but apparently there are a lot of timed objectives, which doesn't gel all that well with a real-time planning based game.

Alberon

Trying to think what I played this year.

Hades - I've returned to this one several times, played it for several days and then moved on. I've really enjoyed it.

Warframe - Hammered this for a lot of the first lockdown. Eventually just stopped dead one day. They keep bolting on new subgames and it is fun but while it is wide it isn't very deep.

Final Fantasy XIV has eaten four months so far and is likely to consume many more. The only reason I'm not playing that right now is...

Cyberpunk 2077 - Been playing it since release on the PC and enjoying it. I think I'll probably keep going for another few weeks then wait for further patches and DLC, though for me at the moment it's pretty much glitch free.

Swoz_MK

Streets of Rage 4 for me. Sated my retro needs while bringing so much more to the table. The combo system is so simple I felt like a high level marvel player at times, or it looked that way at least.

Timothy

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 23, 2020, 12:34:43 PM
Isn't Commandos 2 considered the best one?  Though I think the expansion levels are considered on the unpleasantly difficult side.

Commandos 3 seems okay (I played the first level years ago) but apparently there are a lot of timed objectives, which doesn't gel all that well with a real-time planning based game.

The originals are amazing but the Commandos remasters/remakes (?) are getting quite bad reviews.

Pink Gregory

Shame, I think when you buy stuff on GOG they at least include the original installers.  I think they need a tweak on modern systems though, something about CPU speeds being too fast?  For the first one anyway.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Looking forward to playing all of these on the XBOX 360 I just got for Christmas. Woo!

Chedney Honks

It's my favourite console, and I only got one last year. Played a million hours on it.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 24, 2020, 07:48:01 PM
Shame, I think when you buy stuff on GOG they at least include the original installers.  I think they need a tweak on modern systems though, something about CPU speeds being too fast?  For the first one anyway.
The remaster and the originals are separate purchases, plus, they've done huge changes on the remaster as it was done by a German company to remove all the Axis iconography, which makes the game......a touch odd.

oustropique

I was going to say Hades, which I have played to death, but then I was reminded that

Quote from: Swoz_MK on December 24, 2020, 08:33:46 AM
Streets of Rage 4

was this year (it has been a very long year) and I enjoyed that a lot having only minimal experience with Streets of Rage 2. It's satisfying to punch things in it and quite difficult.

The Sam and Max Save the World remaster is great, and they've made hardly noticeable changes to now-problematic jokes, annoying boring gamer-types, so I think the series is in good hands.

Watch Dogs Legion had a clever idea behind it, and I had fun, but the characters felt like cardboard cutouts and it was quite short. Beyond feeling guilty that my money went to them, I'm hoping someone other than Ubisoft will iterate on its concept in the future.

SUPERHOT: Mind Control Delete was a real disappointment. The roguelike stuff was fine, but it's not procedurally generated to a great degree, and there's still a set number of levels before an ending. It's not like Hades or The Binding of Isaac or Slay the Spire or anything else that has 'runs'. I'm not sure what it wants to be. Not enough roguelike to be a roguelike, not enough plot to be SUPERHOT 2. It got me into Polish punk band Cool Kids of Death, though.

Fall Guys is tremendous fun. I hope it lives forever and I might go play it now.

Other things I played this year include 2019's Night Call, a noir detective game that's so full of random encounters I don't even think I've done them all, What Remains of Edith Finch for the fourth time, and various things on my

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 27, 2020, 09:13:35 PM
XBOX 360

and PS2. Still the best consoles money can buy.

Bazooka

I know it came out yonks ago, but one of my favourite experiences this year was Everybody's Gone to the Rapture which I played on PS Now.  It's altered my attitude to so called 'story' and 'walking sim' games. It was like a an experimental episode of The Archers.

wooders1978

Ghost of Tsushima just beats out assassins creed valhalla for me - ACV is just too big to be honest, as happened with the last few games, I should have completed it by now but still seem to be on endless go here and get that type quests - i know GOT isn't much better for that, but it was shorter and just about, more gorgeous 

brat-sampson

By the numbers, it looks like 'the GOTY' was Hades, which I'm not mad at tbh. It's fucking phenomenal.