Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:45:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Eating Xmas food early.

Started by Butchers Blind, November 14, 2020, 10:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I badly badly want to buy a tin of Fox's Chocolate Assortment (or the Aldi Belmont Biscuits version which is exactly the same btw). I'm not usually a biscuit eater but by god they're delicious.

thenoise

Cadbury reindeer cakes was this week's Christmassy snacks. An acceptable chocolate hit in the form of four rather mean circular cakes, with a white chocolate swirl (much less nice than I'm making it sound), and a little white chocolate reindeer on top. Necessary to eat at least two in a row, at which point half the packet has gone.

Also had a pack of Scotty dogs,which seem quite Christmassy I think? Novelty shortbread shapes? Anyway, they were right tasty.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 15, 2020, 11:26:59 PM
I badly badly want to buy a tin of Fox's Chocolate Assortment (or the Aldi Belmont Biscuits version which is exactly the same btw). I'm not usually a biscuit eater but by god they're delicious.

I rarely eat biscuits either but these are fire.

Apparently lidl do a knock-off so I'll need to try them out.

Marner and Me

As much as I despise Winter Fest I'd quite happily do in a tray of mince pies.

Demolishing stollens, speculooses, mince pies, lebkuchens and caramelised nuts the past couple of weeks. Ate a whole packet of gingerbread chocolate digestives last night. Absolutely wolfed. Need to stop this shit now, because I'll have diabetes by January at this rate.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Janie Jones on November 15, 2020, 11:01:40 PM
I love proper Turkish Delight but Aldi's is horrible. It's vegan, which is all well and good but it's slimy cornflour-thickened gloop. Still ate a whole box of it on Friday. Icing sugar everywhere. Everywhere.

Turkish Delight is supposed to be vegan isn't it?

Is it too early for the Minced Pies thread? What about Trimmins?

pcsjwgm

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 18, 2020, 01:09:36 PM
Turkish Delight is supposed to be vegan isn't it?

Also, traditional Turkish delight does have cornflour, rather than gelatin, which should make it vegan. Or perhaps the problematic aspect is the white sugar, which isn't always vegan because it may be filtered through bone char: https://www.peta.org/living/food/is-sugar-vegan/

Blue Jam

I don't know about commercially-produced stuff, but I knew Turkish Delight wasn't supposed to contain gelatin. Would be a bit of a problem in Turkey and neighbouring countries. Also I'm pretty sure the recipe for Turkish Delight predates the mass-production methods used to make Haribo and the like out out of abbatoir floor sweepings.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 18, 2020, 02:14:35 PM
I don't know about commercially-produced stuff, but I knew Turkish Delight wasn't supposed to contain gelatin. Would be a bit of a problem in Turkey and neighbouring countries.

Gelatin doesn't have to be from pigs does it? I thought you could get cow gelatin.