Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:14:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

pls tell: live Canada

Started by poo, November 14, 2020, 11:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poo

Can you please tell me all there is to know about living in Canada - west coast pref.

Dex Sawash

Sub hockey stick for cricket bat

poo

maybe i could play cricket for Canada. I'm all breasts and cock, like Gus Fraser.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: poo on November 14, 2020, 11:39:48 PM
Can you please tell me all there is to know about living in Canada - west coast pref.

They make the weirdest horror films in the world. David Cronenberg's stuff is frankly tame compared to some of the stuff that doesn't get exported.

Gurke and Hare

idunnosomename

what do you wanna know aboot

croff dinnah lol

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

It's jolly cold over there. Invest in a hat and some good quality mittens.

Mister Six

Ontario has mental booze laws. You have to buy alcohol from a special government vendor at a daft markup. So don't move there.

easytarget

Vancouver is very pretty. Good sushi. Good Vietnamese food. No bookshops (technically this isn't true according to Google but fuck my hat if I couldn't find one last time I was there).

Hilarious currency. Pictures of ducks, and bees and shit one one side and then the fucking queen on the other.

Anything that happens in Canada is, by it's nature, lower stakes than what ever happens in the US/UK. See also : Australia.

(I'm basing this on the media output of these countries, the last Canadian thing I saw was one of the guys from the Barenaked Ladies or The Tragically Hip* buying a painting by a guy and then maybe it wasn't really by that guy. 8 parts that documentary had. Fucking hell).

*Same thing

jamiefairlie

Vancouver has nicer weather than Scotland, beautiful summers and rainy but mild winters. People are dead polite and friendly, retail service is wonderful. Large asian population so there's a less ingrained culture, which I find a relief. Lots of greenery, mountains, sea and people use them a lot. Generally a more positive attitude. 

Mister Six

You can also go to the woods where they shot The X-Files.

zomgmouse

BlodwynPig

Best time of my life. Hamilton is where its at. Now that Ferris has moved East, Toronto is bearable as well.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on November 15, 2020, 12:18:14 AM
They make the weirdest horror films in the world. David Cronenberg's stuff is frankly tame compared to some of the stuff that doesn't get exported.

what kinda thing

PlanktonSideburns

BlodwynPig

60 degree C swing in 4 months

PlanktonSideburns

squirrel looks like chewbacca

BlodwynPig

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 15, 2020, 09:52:43 AM
squirrel looks like chewbacca

this one was called Boris (not because of the current PM).

QDRPHNC

Never been to BC, but I've driven everywhere from Toronto all the way to Calgary, then up through Banff and Jasper, some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen. If you're an outdoorsy type, Canada is hard to beat, you have the dramatic Rockies, glaciers and lakes of the west, and the rocky, rural Nova Scotia and Newfoundland to the east. Plus of course the mind-bogglingly vast northern regions.

Even after living here for more than half my life, it still blows my mind that this:

and this:

are in the same province.

If I wasn't so tied to Toronto for work and family, I could well see myself moving to BC. It also has the advantage (once everything settles down), of being not too far from the most interesting parts of the United States, the west coast down into the south-west.

sevendaughters

There's a great 5 part story by a writer named John Dolan who moved to western Canada from New Zealand and found it a subtle kind of nightmare. Here's a bit from it

QuoteThe day after bringing her home, we learned that the apartment building where we lived did not allow dogs and was full of ancient, angry, sleepless 80-year olds from Ontario who lived for The Rules. One thing you soon learn about Canada: The Rules are sacred. Unless you're part of the local network. But for newcomers, immigrants, it's The Rules and nothing but The Rules.

We were screamed at and followed up the stairs by a crazed retired cop from Sudbury who always demanded our names and the name of our dog, as if he suspected she too might have a criminal record in another province. His partner was an ancient skull-faced crone who monitored the laundry room in the basement, making sure no one left private socks on the public surfaces. She left vicious little notes, in perfect cursive, asking us newcomer wog filth to please clean the drier filters after EACH use. Those undead creeps hated us and our dog so much that we had to sneak her into the apartment in a backpack, which was not so easy with a Great Dane, even when she's a puppy.

As for the car, an ancient Hyundai, it looked like shit and the driver's window didn't completely close, but it ran perfectly. As much as we loved it, we suspected that it wasn't popular with the Canadians, because the cops had roughed me up over it. It didn't look right; it was a 1985 Excel, it was an insult. They hated it. They pulled me over because our insurance was two weeks late and fined us $700, plus $140 for having the wrong address on my license and $120 for the tow. A thousand dollars, gone because we had belatedly learned a lesson in what cops are for: keeping poor people off the road. But these were minor difficulties compared to what happened after the university eased me out very quickly and quietly at the end of my first semester...

https://pando.com/2015/10/02/canada-was-cakewalk/
the link from part 3 isn't at the end of part 2 but if you search the site you'll find it

as a counterpoint a friend of mine from university went there after her engagement to a feller in Leeds broke off and I've never seen her happier.

Ferris

Not read too much about it, supposed to be quite cold though?

BlodwynPig

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 15, 2020, 04:23:13 PM
Walsall?

So they say.

Canada is nice - pluses and minuses (as with anywhere) but I massively prefer it to the UK and wouldn't dream of moving back. Mind you, I grew up in the West Midlands so that should be factored into my experience.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

Blue Jam

Quote from: easytarget on November 15, 2020, 03:30:12 AM
Hilarious currency. Pictures of ducks, and bees and shit one one side and then the fucking queen on the other.

A Canadian one cent coin is called a "Loonie"

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 15, 2020, 04:33:45 PM
That's my $0.02 anyway.

and iirc the two cent coin is the "Toonie".

EDIT: Looks like it's actually the one dollar and two dollar coins, and they've been discontinued, so my little two cents joke doesn't work.

QDRPHNC

Unlike the totally normal "quid" and "spondoolies".

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 15, 2020, 05:15:08 PM
A Canadian one cent coin is called a "Loonie"

and iirc the two cent coin is the "Toonie".

EDIT: Looks like it's actually the one dollar and two dollar coins, and they've been discontinued, so my little two cents joke doesn't work.

It's the $1/$2 coins called loonie/toonie, both still in circulation so your knowledge is up to date! The penny is indeed discontinued, we used to call that one "a waste of fucking space and useless pain in the arse"

Canadian money is rad though, here's a glow in the dark quarter:

jamiefairlie

Politically it's extremely stable too. They effectively have their own post-war consensus going on, with the major parties pretty much straddling the same line in an old style Tory/Labour taking turns about style. They even have strong unions and state owned services FFS!

Dex Sawash

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 15, 2020, 05:26:00 PM
It's the $1/$2 coins called loonie/toonie, both still in circulation so your knowledge is up to date! The penny is indeed discontinued, we used to call that one "a waste of fucking space and useless pain in the arse"

I hate dinosaurs/dinosaur bothering and I like that coin.

chveik

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 15, 2020, 05:26:00 PM

now I want to move there