Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

pls tell: live Canada

Started by poo, November 14, 2020, 11:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Never mind all this shit, what are these too hot for export cronembangers?

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 15, 2020, 09:45:04 AM
what kinda thing

Check out The Void, Pin, Afflicted, Tales from the Gimli Hospital, The Wild Hunt and Pontypool to start off with. That's a pretty good springboard.

PlanktonSideburns

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 15, 2020, 05:26:00 PM
It's the $1/$2 coins called loonie/toonie, both still in circulation so your knowledge is up to date! The penny is indeed discontinued, we used to call that one "a waste of fucking space and useless pain in the arse"

Canadian money is rad though, here's a glow in the dark quarter:

are they in circulation? Can you save me one?

Ferris

Sadly no, and I've been on the lookout for them for years. I would if I could, promise.

I have one of these somewhere but absolutely no idea where it is now.

Mister Six

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on November 15, 2020, 06:01:36 PM
Check out The Void

Wait, the one with the hospital surrounded by cultists? That was shite. Like watching an am-dram performance of a 15-year-old's design document for an imaginary Silent Hill game.

Heard Pontypool is good though.

Icehaven

A lot of people go missing in British Columbia. I suppose it's the combination of size, remoteness, harsh climate and there being plenty of places you could hide a body where it'd never be found.

Ferris

mojo filters

CBC's great adaptation of Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace was criminally overlooked, when all the critics were waxing lyrical about The Handmaid's Tale.

The former seemed more like a tight British six episode show, BBC style. Smartly and concisely adapted for the small screen, cleverly covering a broad variety of issues and themes within the supposedly limited format. Reminded me of home!

The second season of CBC Radio's true crime podcast Someone Knows Something. David Ridgen takes the listener inside the working class town of Hamilton, Ontario to investigate the cold case of the disappearance of Sheryl Sheppard.

A neat tonic that adheres more to Canadian colonial roots, compared with contemporaries attempting to replicate the Ira Glass/This American Life cadence - made popular by the impressive and innovative host of the hugely successful Serial podcast, Sarah Koenig.

Also the Montreal Grand Prix, where Lewis Hamilton achieved his remarkable first win in his absurdly remarkable debut season for McLaren in F1 in 2007.

That's all I've got...

jamiefairlie

Canada is so vast that the provinces are quite different in nature. From Vancouver to the east coast is further than London to New York.

Icehaven

Quote from: jamiefairlie on November 18, 2020, 05:10:15 AM
Canada is so vast that the provinces are quite different in nature. From Vancouver to the east coast is further than London to New York.

I was thinking about this yesterday after seeing this thread. The size of places like Canada or Australia, and them still being all one country, are difficult things to really get your head around for people like me who've only ever lived in a very small country on/included in a continent broken into other relatively small countries. Even more so when the terrain and climate means that massive swathes are entirely unpopulated too. 

idunnosomename

Careful not to live in a French bit

ASFTSN

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on November 15, 2020, 06:01:36 PM
Check out The Void, Pin, Afflicted, Tales from the Gimli Hospital, The Wild Hunt and Pontypool to start off with. That's a pretty good springboard.

These are both great although The Void ending
Spoiler alert
is a straight rip off of The Beyond's
[close]

Blinder Data

Ummed and aahed for a while about going to live/work in Canada but without a guarantee of a decent job I don't fancy taking the risk. I know a few people who moved out there and would never move back, which is fair enough. West Coast has amazing nature and good vibes. I had a lovely few days in Montreal (in the summer, right enough). If the right opportunity came up to make the big jump, I might go for it.

Canadians get no holidays though. You're basically committing to never going to a wedding/family reunion ever again, which would suit some, I suppose.

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on November 18, 2020, 10:05:36 AM
I was thinking about this yesterday after seeing this thread. The size of places like Canada or Australia, and them still being all one country, are difficult things to really get your head around for people like me who've only ever lived in a very small country on/included in a continent broken into other relatively small countries. Even more so when the terrain and climate means that massive swathes are entirely unpopulated too.

I told a family member in the UK we were travelling to see family in Canada in a different province and casually mentioned it would be 3 or 4 hours of travelling. "Ugh, train or car?" And I had to explain that it was a flight and train or car would take about 36 hours.

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 18, 2020, 11:13:57 AM
Canadians get no holidays though. You're basically committing to never going to a wedding/family reunion ever again, which would suit some, I suppose.

Holidays are bullshit, but it also depends where you work and your seniority/years of service, you typically start with 10-15 for the first few years if you are junior but you can negotiate more along with salary when you start. I'd guess for a mid level manager position you'd start on 18-20 days +bank holidays and accrue more year over year. I have 34 paid days a year +bank holidays +10 optional unpaid days off in finance, but I hate my job so there you go.