Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:21:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wordpress being a total cunt again

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, November 15, 2020, 05:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sorry to bother you with this, but I have a wordpress problem and I can't find any answers online. Don't feel obliged to get knee deep in this but it's just in case anyone can think of a fix. Come up short asking friends and researching online.

Without making any changes I noticed this evening Wordpress is now no longer displaying a table i have have setup in a custom html block on a page. What's weirder is the table is displaying in preview fine but just not when you visit the page itself. It's blank except the title.

I can't post the link on here as Neil has decided I've spammed the page in the past but it's called the european bar guide and if you click on menu the page in question is called The Full List. There was a 3 column table with about 440 rows.

I've checked the main bits of code and can't find anything that would be throwing it out. I've tried to start a replacement page but the same thing happens which makes me think its something in the code itself.

Nothing complex features on the page, no plugins, etc. It's just a title and a table... html with some tooltip shortcode...! I'd be less worried if it just displayed a disordered mess as at least there'd be a specific reason.

Is it possible the theme has stopped supporting it? I really doubt this as i have basic tables on other pages on the site which are displaying ok.

QDRPHNC

Looking at the live page source, the table doesn't seem to be there, which is weird.

I know this isn't really a solution as such, but I'm wondering if whatever page builder you're using has a table widget or if there's a plugin you could use that would be more stable (at least as far as WP is concerned) than pasting in block of custom HTML.

Did you see this page? https://wordpress.org/support/topic/tables-not-displaying-2/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Interesting, cheers. It could be plugin related, I guess, but I have several other tables on other parts of my site, not with anything else and they're working. I haven't mixed any tables up by chopping and changing between shortcode and html either.

I agree a table block may be more stable but that would mean rewriting this from scratch, at least a full day's work, which I'd rather avoid just for the reward of displaying what should already be there.

BlodwynPig

I'm getting

"BREXIT MEANS BREXIT" under The Full List, and "Join ARPA" elsewhere.

the

As an experiment, it might be worth editing the page, chopping the table down to say half the size (having kept a backup of the full one obviously), and publishing that to see if it appears.

If it still doesn't appear, it might point to something structural about the table that it doesn't like. If it starts to work, it might point to the full table having exceeded some limit (so try putting rows back in to see what happens).

JaDanketies

I'd suggest trying an online HTML table editor to create the table and then pasting it on to WordPress.

Keep in mind that tables always display badly on mobile. If you were my client I would advise you to think about how to display the same information in something other than a table for this reason. If you say your table is 600px wide and a smartphone screen is only 300px wide I bet you dollars to donuts that the table will go off the side of the screen, making your site look shoddy and potentially getting Google to derank your site based on poor mobile usability

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: the on November 15, 2020, 07:50:45 PM
As an experiment, it might be worth editing the page, chopping the table down to say half the size (having kept a backup of the full one obviously), and publishing that to see if it appears.

If it still doesn't appear, it might point to something structural about the table that it doesn't like. If it starts to work, it might point to the full table having exceeded some limit (so try putting rows back in to see what happens).

Thanks, however I did that with an excerpt, cutting out all except 1 entry and the same thing occurred. I agree it probably is something structural but it was working without complaint.

QuoteIf you were my client I would advise you to think about how to display the same information in something other than a table.

This one worked fine, until now anyway. My theme is mobile friendly and wordpress configured it to display perfectly well
There are 3 columns so it wasn't anything wide and unwieldy.

QDRPHNC

I'm no expert, but I do build several WP sites a year for clients. If you want to set me up with a non-admin login and PM me the details, I'm happy to go in and take a look.

the

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 15, 2020, 07:59:17 PMThanks, however I did that with an excerpt, cutting out all except 1 entry and the same thing occurred. I agree it probably is something structural but it was working without complaint.

So it didn't appear even with only one row? Definitely structural if so.

I don't know what level of formatting complexity you've got going on in your HTML table, but it's possible that Wordpress has tightened what it considers to be acceptably-formed tagging (probably for compatibility, security or business reasons).

I know you said before that you get the table across from a spreadsheet, so it's possible that the tagging generated by that method has become unsuitable. As JD suggests, trying going back to a basic HTML table populated with a small amount of the data and see if it displays. From there you may have to tweak it to get it looking the way you want.

If you can achieve that, there are ways and means of getting the full data into the new table structure, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.