Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:53:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watching Withnail

Started by Dex Sawash, November 16, 2020, 01:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

This is the Sonata Monty is listening to:

https://youtu.be/lncNcNtGkJY?t=35m10s

I recommend listening to the whole thing from the beginning. It's beautiful. (Pancreas disagrees and says it's "gay" but he's wrong.)

poodlefaker

"Hang Out The Stars in Indiana" by Al Bowlly with Roy Noble and his Orchestra gets me every time.

SpiderChrist

Another vote for Grant's pissed acting - someone told me that his father was an alcoholic so maybe he observed and soaked it all up. I understand he's a stoner, though, some podcast or something he was on, he was very enthusiastic about Mary Jane.

ALSO - the delivery of the line in the pub when they're discussing calling Monty "Nor have I - the fuck are you talking about?"

thugler

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 23, 2020, 05:28:55 PM
Another vote for Grant's pissed acting - someone told me that his father was an alcoholic so maybe he observed and soaked it all up. I understand he's a stoner, though, some podcast or something he was on, he was very enthusiastic about Mary Jane.

ALSO - the delivery of the line in the pub when they're discussing calling Monty "Nor have I - the fuck are you talking about?"

I recall that Grant is actually tee total as he can't drink due to being allergic or something. But they got him pissed once before production so he could see what it was like.

Blue Jam

Quote from: thugler on November 23, 2020, 06:00:19 PM
I recall that Grant is actually tee total as he can't drink due to being allergic or something. But they got him pissed once before production so he could see what it was like.

Yes, Grant says this in the Withnail and Us documentary that was a DVD extra. In his autobiography, With Nails, he describes Bruce Robinson plying him with vodka shots and the resulting vomit being like a Persian carpet coming up.

In Smoking In Bed: Conversations With Bruce Robinson, BR talks about REG's drunk acting, saying it was the best he'd ever seen because "When they're drunk people act like it's undetectable when really it's like a big neon sign flashing above their heads".

Have we mentioned the lighter fluid canister being filled with white vinegar yet, and how Grant wasn't told so his surprised reaction to drinking it would be real? A bit of enforced method acting there apparently.

Blue Jam

I think my favourite line is still: "Stop saying that Withnail, of course he's the fucking farmer!"

Ferris

"We've gone on holiday by mistake"

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Coincidence?

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 23, 2020, 06:13:16 PM
Have we mentioned the lighter fluid canister being filled with white vinegar yet, and how Grant wasn't told so his surprised reaction to drinking it would be real? A bit of enforced method acting there apparently.
Not quite as impressively cold blooded as Die Hard, in which Alan Rickman was dropped out a window before he was ready, for a more authentic look of panic.

Still a great scene in its own right though.

"Even the wankers on the site wouldn't drink that. That's worse than meths!"
"Nonsense. This is a far superior drink to Meths. The wankers don't drink it because they can't afford it.
You've got antifreeze."
"You bloody fool. You should never mix your drinks!"
"Haha! Hahahahahaaaeeeeuuuuuuurrrghhh."

Blue Jam

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 23, 2020, 11:46:03 PM

Auditioned for the part of Super Hans didn't he?

I'm positive Super Hans was influenced by Danny the Dealer.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Are we just doing quotes now? Alright.

Look at him! Look at Jeff Wode!

Icehaven

Quote from: thugler on November 23, 2020, 06:00:19 PM

Quote from: icehaven on November 20, 2020, 09:12:10 AM
It's always amazed me that Richard E Grant is apparently allergic to alcohol and the only time he's ever got drunk was while preparing for Withnail just so he could feel what it's like, and it made him horribly ill. I sometimes wonder if he just claims to be allergic to booze to stave off assumptions that he must have really been pissed the whole time, or that he's a real life dipso or something, while subtly implying what a good actor he must be to play a drunk so well when he barely even knows what it's like to be drunk at all. Which is fair enough because he is.

Twit 2

"Except for personal use, I concur."

Neomod

The most recent Projection Booth podcast is covering Withnail but also worth a listen for Ralph Brown's juicy Alien 3 goss[nb]basically Ripley being very dificult with everyone[/nb] is the Perfect Organism Network pod 150.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQmCiXhUSFc

Apparently Fincher was a big Withnail fan and wanted all three stars for the film. The studio nixed R.E.G for the Dr role played by Dance.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Could have also cast Richard Griffiths in some sort of prison Alpha Gay role. He'd look quite strange with a shaved head.

markburgle

Commentary from McGann and Brown on the YT. Very relaxing and immersive listening I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Re3Qjs77k

shagatha crustie

^ Lovely stuff for a Sunday morning.

Brown is a bit self-interested/insecure though isn't he.

McGann: 'I remember the crew all falling about at this bit'

Brown: 'Yeah they did it in my scenes too!!'

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: shagatha crustie on January 17, 2021, 11:04:01 AM

Brown is a bit self-interested/insecure though isn't he.

His blog about his time on Alien 3 is interesting although aside from the annoying studio stuff we all know about, he actually makes himself look a bit like that, getting his feathers ruffled by the slightest thing.

https://magicmenagerie.wordpress.com/2016/10/12/my-pop-life-171-praying-for-time-george-michael/

It's a good commentary, although the thing about King Curtis being shot right after performing A Whiter Shade of Pale is incorrect, he was stabbed to death by drug dealers long after the fact.