Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:35:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cutting out meat

Started by Butchers Blind, November 16, 2020, 01:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

Never really considered cutting out meat before but something about this has got me thinking.
https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/16/shocking-footage-of-severely-injured-pigs-on-spanish-farms-released?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium=&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Probably won't in the end with the Xmas meat feast upon us. 
Has anyone else recently cut out meat in their diet?  Did you feel better physically and mentally?

paruses

I was only saying this morning that I would like to cut meat out of my diet again. A couple of years ago I did this semi-accidentally and felt a lot better in myself physically. Because of that I felt better mentally. I did still eat small amounts of meat that I knew the provenance of but had to force myself to do so. It would have been very easy to give it up totally.

I find that prescribing behaviour to myself is usually setting me up to fail though. Excluding meat was more an organic process and very easy as before ordering things I would have images of animals being killed to produce the largely shit meal in the works canteen or wherever (that's my post for the Invasive Thoughts thread in a nutshell).

Knowing about animal welfare things like the article you've posted (I haven't read it, just going on the keywords in the link) make this sort of thing quite easy (for me) to do. Thank you for reminding me.

Buelligan

Yes.  Obviously I did it years and years ago.  Can't even imagine, properly, what meat is like any more.  Never miss it. 

Never think of it except when at work - I work in a restaurant kitchen.  I have to wash everything, every thing, every day when I get home because the smell, to me, of raw, cooking or cooked meat, is disgusting.   

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Not only lives in a well but also doesn't eat meat. I bet the French must love you.

Buelligan

Heheh.  Actually they even stock some stuff in the supermarket in town now that's labeled as veggie.  But I was once presented with a tureen of boiled chicken, including the face, as a vegetarian option, so it's swings and roundabouts. 

Anyway, I applaud anyone who's reducing their meat intake, for the environment, animal welfare and personal physical and mental wellbeing, a very positive step.

Thomas

I stopped eating meat in February last year. I didn't realise at first - my partner is vegetarian, and we went a few weeks without meat in the house. Once I realised I'd inadvertently forgone the carnivorous diet for a while, I decided to stick to it.

I love animals, but I always knew I was betraying them by scoffing their mutilated brethren. Now I can look a cow square in the face and say, sorry I ate your mum; I will not eat you.

I am bad at eating, so I'm still phasing out the odd bite of fish every few weeks.[nb]sorry fish I love you too[/nb] Just getting into shit like tofu.

bgmnts

Shouldn't really eat dairy either, to be that cunt. Adds just as much to that horrid suffering.

Honest to god, been veggie for 12/13 years and its an absolute piece of piss. There are SO many alternatives in terms of nutrients and taste its ridonculous.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: bgmnts on November 16, 2020, 04:06:53 PM
Shouldn't really eat dairy either, to be that cunt. Adds just as much to that horrid suffering.

Honest to god, been veggie for 12/13 years and its an absolute piece of piss. There are SO many alternatives in terms of nutrients and taste its ridonculous.
I agree on all points. Now there's a bunch of nice non-dairy milks out there (I like a bit of hemp milk, although its extreme whiteness is a bit weird) all I need is for cheese substitutes to get cheaper / nicer, and I'll go fully vegan and never look back. I'd definitely recommend CaBbers go for some nice faux-milk, at the very least.

Sin Agog

Been veggie forever, vegan for half of forever, but I do know some people, including my parents, who reported having a small withdrawal period after going cold turkey (by not eating said turkey).  Might want to bear that in mind if you're not feeling it in the first few weeks.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: bgmnts on November 16, 2020, 04:06:53 PM
Honest to god, been veggie for 12/13 years

Are you? I don't think you've ever mentioned it before.

Buelligan

Thing is, you have to don't you?  It's like not being male, you go somewhere, like the internet and everyone presumes you're a man unless you tell them you're not.  Good people on both sides, I'm sure, just the way of the world.  If you don't tell them, you feel like you're misleading people.  I'm a woman btw.

Famous Mortimer

I got quite nostalgic for the smell of bacon or a barbecue for the first year or so of being a veggie, but now it all looks and smells weird.

Small Man Big Horse

I only eat white meat these days because I fucking hate chickens / diabetes, and had some Sainsbury's quorn sausages recently and I've got to say, I was impressed, and even prefer them to many a meaty type.

bgmnts

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 16, 2020, 04:13:41 PM
Are you? I don't think you've ever mentioned it before.

I am, honestly.

Quote from: Buelligan on November 16, 2020, 04:16:05 PM
Thing is, you have to don't?  It's like not being male, you go somewhere, like the internet and everyone presumes you're a man unless you tell them you're not.  Good people on both sides, I'm sure, just the way of the world.  If you don't tell them, you feel like you're misleading people.  I'm a woman btw.

And you live on your own and are happy with it!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 16, 2020, 04:18:29 PM
I only eat white meat these days because I fucking hate chickens / diabetes, and had some Sainsbury's quorn sausages recently and I've got to say, I was impressed, and even prefer them to many a meaty type.
Morrison's Spicy Bean Burgers were fucking delicious (and probably still are). The one thing I never got on with is faux-bacon, I remember a delightful lady once made me a facon sandwich and...it wasn't for me.

Buelligan

Quote from: bgmnts on November 16, 2020, 04:19:27 PM
And you live on your own and are happy with it!

Happy doesn't even come near old son.

Sin Agog

If it sticks you might have to change your name to Butchers Broke.

Buelligan

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 16, 2020, 04:24:29 PM
Morrison's Spicy Bean Burgers were fucking delicious (and probably still are). The one thing I never got on with is faux-bacon, I remember a delightful lady once made me a facon sandwich and...it wasn't for me.

I've always wanted to try that pretend bacon (you can't get it here) and now buddha has taken even that feather of a desire from my burden. 

Sin Agog

You can make some pretty good stuff of your own if you oven cook aubergine slices with maple syrup and some liquid smoke (there are always these fancy pants ingredients in these recipes- could always try some BBQ sauce instead).

Buelligan

Emma Raducanu

My partner was vegetarian before she met me and I turned her into a meat eater good and proper.

That said, among our circle of friends, pretty much every one of them is vegan/veggie so when they're round, even for BBQ , I'm always faced with going vegan too.

I bought Deliciously Ella cookbook which is excellent for sharing salads and also merchant gourmets website, while plugging products is pretty good to for ideas. People might have better ideas but they've worked for me so far.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Buelligan on November 16, 2020, 04:32:22 PM
An oven?

You're in the south of France; you could always cook them by the heat emitted from the mental gymnastics performed by liver-spotted Brits as they justify why they voted Leave.

Pink Gregory

3 years vegan; but I changed at a time when alternatives were increasingly easy to find in supermarkets and the ranges were expanding.

Also I'm not *massively* into food so it didn't bother me all that much to change. 

If you're *really* into roasts or a proper cheese enthusiast, I can understand; but if you're just wanting to substitute yer white meat that's the easiest transition. 

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 16, 2020, 04:24:29 PM

The rashers are never great, and the facon flavour kind of sticks round for too long.  Vivera make pretty good bacon-style pieces though, staple in our house.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 16, 2020, 04:39:31 PM
You're in the south of France; you could always cook them by the heat emitted from the mental gymnastics performed by liver-spotted Brits as they justify why they voted Leave.

Heheh, I only know of a few like that and they're all confined to barracks, lockdown, innit. 

madhair60

Hitler was a vegetarian... think on that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteHas anyone else recently cut out meat in their diet?  Did you feel better physically and mentally?

As my partner is vegan I've certainly started eating more healthily over the last few years and reducing meat consumption at home year by year.

Other than ham/chorizo and fish a lot has been forsaken/replaced with other stuff. Some vegan replacements are AIDS. Others are perfectly fine.

Lockdown has been really useful to in order to widen my vegan cooking repertoire too. There are some easy go to dishes I enjoy without even thinking of introducing meat or dairy to them.

I'm one for gradual changes rather than fads, can't see ever not eating meat but who knows the future eh lads days to come

Captain Z

Quote from: madhair60 on November 16, 2020, 06:11:56 PM
Hitler was a vegetarian... think on that.

Very interesting that the same people who think being vegetarian is so great wouldn't hesitate to kill baby Hitler. Very interesting.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

On the other hand, Pol Pot loved a lamb chopper, so it all balances out.

Jockice

I've got really into Alpro milks in the last year or so. I have several in the fridge at the moment, plain for my coffee, different varieties for breakfast cereals etc. I had almond flavour with my porridge this morning. It was nice. Someone made me a cup of coffee a few weeks ago with milk in it and it tasted weird, so  I think I've weaned myself off it.

I'm not totally vegan as I still eat cheese and yogurt (although I have vegan versions too. I had some vegan cheese with my Ritz crackers this afternoon. The cat was disgusted when I offered her a bit.) Ideally I'd like to go vegan and not tell anyone. I'm like that.

As for meat itself, I was put in a situation earlier a few weeks ago when someone made me a breakfast fry-up with meat not realising I rarely eat it anymore. I thought she knew but we haven't seen each other much in the last few years and she'd obviously forgotten. (it's my sister. You can read about our fall-out elsewhere. Ironically she was veggie for years and years when I wasn't). She was embarrassed and apologetic when I told her and - working on the principle that the animals involved weren't going to get any less dead - I did sort of pick at it, although the dogs had most of it. No great desire to have anymore of it though. I have eaten fish a couple of times this year too, but I really like the Quorn vegan variety so that's my preference. Pretty hard to get from takeaways though.

And finally, my ultimate bugbear, that there are still eating places where the only veggie option is some spicy shit. In this day and age. Unbelievable. Grrrr.