Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:32:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cutting out meat

Started by Butchers Blind, November 16, 2020, 01:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Quote from: bgmnts on November 17, 2020, 08:32:38 PM
Papa Johns actually do a nice vegan pizza with pepperoni and sausage nowadays. I would say there is a big difference between vegan cheese pizza and a regular cheese pizza though. You do become accustomed to it, however.

Not as nice?

bgmnts

Quote from: Menu on November 17, 2020, 08:37:17 PM
Not as nice?

Not in my opinion. But then I don't really eat pizza anymore. Don't think I could ever go back to eating a proper cheese pizza and getting the cheese shits.

Menu

Quote from: bgmnts on November 17, 2020, 08:39:39 PM
Not in my opinion. But then I don't really eat pizza anymore. Don't think I could ever go back to eating a proper cheese pizza and getting the cheese shits.

Thanks, bgmnts.

imitationleather

Quote from: Menu on November 17, 2020, 08:29:26 PM
They do nearly everything, including organic cat food. Our two cats turned their noses up to it though. Even our stray cat didn't want it! Fucking ungrateful cunts. So we left it out for the fox. He loved it!! Although he eats anything.

Our cats won't eat that stuff either. I think it might actually be bad cat food.

Menu

Quote from: imitationleather on November 17, 2020, 08:48:35 PM
Our cats won't eat that stuff either. I think it might actually be bad cat food.

Ah right. Ours are fussy anyway so I thought that might be the reason, but it's interesting that yours didn't want it either.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteNot as nice?

There are some substances that exist under the guise of vegan cheese that are pleasant tasting in varying doses. Often the level of oil/nut starts to become cloying, but that's among a range of problems.

It is a problem area however. Fair to state there is a long, long, long way to go before it comes anywhere near to replacing most types of cheese in either flavour or texture.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

What the frig are cheese shits? You're making that up.

Menu

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 17, 2020, 09:16:37 PM
There are some substances that exist under the guise of vegan cheese that are pleasant tasting in varying doses. Often the level of oil/nut starts to become cloying, but that's among a range of problems.

It is a problem area however. Fair to state there is a long, long, long way to go before it comes anywhere near to replacing most types of cheese in either flavour or texture.

Interesting, thank you. Well I suppose if I cut out everything apart from cheese (and meat) that's still worthwhile.

Gotta say even though I drink Almond Milk now it's not as good as cows milk for your cereal. Very disappointing.

phes

I've had some surprisingly good meat and prawn substitutes but even the very best could only be described as adequate shapes of adequate textures to mimic meat if it was meat that didn't really taste of anything. So it's absolutely fine when acting as a carrier for sauce or spice, but still a million miles from the flesh, skin, fat and muscle that makes eating unprocessed meat the way it is. Anyone who is vegetarian and thinks otherwise has presumably never eaten unprocessed meats or good quality cheeses. I don't know when the being so repulsed by flesh or dairy products kicks in sufficiently to make it sensually undesirable, but for me not eating meat is still just a decision.

Buelligan

I also think it's worth considering eating culture.  English people,  old fashioned English people are supposed to eat that meat, potatoes, two veg thing.  That is, was, normal to them.  But not normal to many other cultures.  Even cultures that are quite similar, a lot of French people view that dishing up of vegetables alongside the meat as idiosyncratic and rather eccentric. 

And, I think, the whole meat substitute, creating a faux meat as the centre of a meal is kind of clinging on to that tradition of meat with veg as the way to eat.  I think it's probably more rewarding to abandon that pattern entirely and embrace animal-free eating as its own enjoyable thing.  If you want to replicate something, like Christmas lunch, fill your boots but do it as an exception.

chveik

Quote from: phes on November 17, 2020, 10:46:58 PM
Anyone who is vegetarian and thinks otherwise has presumably never eaten unprocessed meats

oh I have, and giving up meat is still the easiest thing I've ever done.

bgmnts

Yeah I don't think there are many people who are born with vegetarian ethics.

I remember eating fresh meat, carried part of it in a plastic bag and putting it in the boot of my grandads car at a farm in Gloucester.

Fucking disgusting.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI remember eating fresh meat, carried part of it in a plastic bag and putting it in the boot of my grandads car at a farm in Gloucester.

Fucking disgusting

It wasn't the meat's fault your Grandad poisoned all those ice rinks.

privatefriend

I'm also considering cutting out meat, that's why I'm retraining as a butcher! ha ha ha ha

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm also considering cutting out meat, that's why I'm retraining as a forensic pathologist! ha ha ha

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Buelligan on November 16, 2020, 04:32:22 PM
An oven?

Oscar Wilde considers rewrite.
( just keeping my hand in, really. Y'know, bit of a placeholder like that HWPV thread from last week.)

Ray Travez

Gave up meat about thirty years ago. It's been pretty easy, apart from a period of chronic depression where I stopped caring what I ate. Going vegan was harder, but still not a big deal.

Now my diet is very variable; some might say idiosyncratic[nb]Others might say 'eating disorder'[/nb]. Sometimes vegetarian, sometimes vegan, sometimes fruitarian. Currently fruitarian, eating one meal a day, for weight loss.

Bazooka

I just had turkey and pork in the same meal, double life change barrier.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Bazooka on November 18, 2020, 01:59:40 PM
I just had turkey and pork in the same meal, double life change barrier.

Big shot here

Ornlu

I don't get it. What would you use as bacon? Or chicken?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Menu on November 17, 2020, 10:09:51 PM
Gotta say even though I drink Almond Milk now it's not as good as cows milk for your cereal. Very disappointing.

I like it in cereal in some ways more than cow milk, it's also delicious in hot chocolate as it makes it taste like marzipan. It's fucking shite in tea and not great in mash though.

chveik

what kind of depraved maniac puts milk in their tea

Sin Agog

I never really drank tea until recently, and still only take it milkless, but my mum recently converted to oat milk for her tea.  The semi-skimmed Oatly is the best I've seen at looking exactly like tea, rather than brown water with mottled white clumps floating on top.  I do kinda wonder what exactly they're semi-skimming.  That must be some kind of bone thrown to ex-milkies, right?

Still remember when I told my parents I was going to do the vegan thing in my early teens.  They sat me down with a glass of grotty, lukewarm soya milk and shot gimlet eyes at me as I drank it.  Not to turn me off or anything necessarily, just to let me know what I was in for.  I don't think I've ever once since then sat down to have a nice cup of soya milk.  My older brother who used to make vegan food all the time with the Krishnas kept on banging on about fucking 'carob' when I mentioned that I recently made my udder brudder a chocolate-coffee cake.  Carob!  I reckon that stuff singlehandedly set back the cause for at least a decade, maybe two.

Famous Mortimer

Agreed, non-dairy milk is usually crap in tea.

Paul Calf

No, that's the tea that you're tasting.

SpiderChrist

I drink my tea with oat milk and I have to say it's most agreeable.

phes

Tit juice tastes odd to me thesedays. Switching to alternatives was the easiest of the changes I made, did it overnight. Only problem I have is that soya often - but not always - separates from coffee. Anyone know if that's thats the soya or the coffee? (presumably soya as don't recall it with milk). Maybe there's something you can add a dash of to prevent it happening

JaDanketies

Yeah that soya milk separation thing is weird. It seems like there are a million variables - filter coffee vs instant coffee, the temperature of the milk vs the temperature of the coffee.... okay two variables.

My gf only uses oat milk in her tea, and I tend to do so too because she probably knows what she's talking about. So put us down for another two votes for oat milk.

SpiderChrist

Oat milk is nice in coffee, too, apparently. If you absolutely must have milk in your coffee, that is.