Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Have You Ever Known Someone Called Felix?

Started by Dr Rock, November 16, 2020, 08:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

I haven't, but I have had a couple of very posh friends talk about their friend Felix and it seems so outrageously posh. Henrietta is another one. And Harriet. What's the poshest name you've encountered or have an opinion on?

Captain Crunch

I love that Alexei Sayle gag, he overhears two women in the theatre, one turns to the other and says "I went to school with a Timberlake Wertenbaker, I wonder if it's the same one?"

chveik

The Culture Bunker

I have a Felix as a nephew and I remember my granddad had a friend with that name too.

Inspector Norse

Yeah but I live in a foreign where it's a name for normal people. I even got a mail from a Felix today. He'd fucked up an order and sent the invoice to the wrong department.

Marner and Me

We have one he lives next door. He's constantly on the weed. Having house parties and his poor mum comes home to find the place trashed. He's been booted a few times.

Laurence Fergurson is another posh name we had at school, again a big stoner. I know a few lads with double barrel names and they're covered in tattoos and smoke like fuck.

imitationleather

There was a Felix at my school.

It is a name for posh slackers who act like they'd be able to handle themselves on an estate but would never, ever go to one.

IsavedLatin

I work in a metropolitan media elite(-adjacent) industry and so have met quite a few people with bona fide posho names -- I know a Felix IRL, also Venetia, Marina, Cecelia.  Inevitably the really poshest and most powerful people have monosyllabic and fairly low-key names like Jo and Tom.

I think the best posho name I ever encountered, though, was that of a man I met when temping as a student in an unfathomable finance-related company: Ambrose.

shiftwork2

No.  I was probably the poshest person in my school and I live in a bin.

I remember an episode of Nigella where her son Bruno went out to 'play in the street' (the street being in SW7) with his bezzie mate Horatio.  Is Horatio playing out?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: shiftwork2 on November 17, 2020, 01:45:03 PM
No.  I was probably the poshest person in my school and I live in a bin.

I remember an episode of Nigella where her son Bruno went out to 'play in the street' (the street being in SW7) with his bezzie mate Horatio.  Is Horatio playing out?
Ah, but the kid might have been named after yer man from 'CSI: Miami', which isn't very posh at all.

Glebe

I've known two people called Felix - double Felix, heh! (double 'helix').

Endicott

As a nipper I had a Felix The Cat cuddly toy. It was threadbare, as it had been passed down to me from my cousins, but it was a person to me.

Blinder Data

Recently I met a kid called Felix but his parents are not posh, just very Catholic.

Posho baby names are all the rage among non-poshos: Oscar, Caspar, Lucas, Theo. We're all desperate for a glimmer of respectability and so have rushed to unique ye olde names in such numbers that they are no longer unique.

Arthur was the third most popular boy's name in England and Wales last year - a classroom full of Arthurs! Unthinkable. Be brave and make your child the only Gary in the school.

My friends have just named their kid Atticus which I am sure will become exceedingly common in about six months time.

Small Man Big Horse

I knew a Felix at college, he wasn't posh, just very middle class. And he was nice, solid, dependable, not particularly memorable maybe but I doubt anyone disliked him.

A friend also wanted to call her son Felix but I persuaded her that if she did he would gradually transform in to a cat and then die aged 12, so she named him William instead.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 17, 2020, 03:54:12 PMMy friends have just named their kid Atticus which I am sure will become exceedingly common in about six months time.

FFS.  And his little sister Boo?  Jesus. 

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 17, 2020, 03:54:12 PMMy friends have just named their kid Atticus which I am sure will become exceedingly common in about six months time.
I used to know someone (in Canada) who called their kid, who would be about 13 or so now, that. I suppose a half-Japanese, half-Irish lad growing up in Vancouver who is named after a fictional character from Alabama is an interesting enough combination.

kalowski

I knew a German guy called Felix who was unbelievably clever. Lovely bloke too.

mojo filters

Quote from: Captain Crunch on November 17, 2020, 08:30:26 PM
FFS.  And his little sister Boo?  Jesus.

...but "Boo" was a nickname, given by third parties who didn't actually know him at that time. Plus it was irritatingly ruined by that cynically-targeted mid '90s breakfast radio musical staple.

Atticus is a great name with connotations of the highest standards of character and integrity, without any hiding of inherent human frailty.

If I accidentally end up with a daughter, I'd fight to call her Jean Louise - then obstinately call her Scout for the rest of my life. I appreciate this can easily be construed as an elitist-nomenclature-literary signal!

Icehaven

It's a cats name. There's a cartoon cat and a brand of cat food called Felix. The cat must be black and white though.

timebug

Worked for a few years with an upper class twit called Adrian. Nevert thought of the name as being posh or anything, but he took it to extremes. His kids were Harriet and Archie. He had loads of pals called Nigel, Gervaise and a woman called 'Tottie'.
No one can help their name (I blame the parents!) but he was a real upper class tosser, and very easy to despise!

Captain Crunch

Quote from: mojo filters on November 18, 2020, 12:34:27 AMAtticus is a great name with connotations of the highest standards of character and integrity, without any hiding of inherent human frailty.

But it just smacks of the "eee I love books me I'm dead clever" posing rather than choosing a name that fits.  A bit like calling your baby Kerouac, or having a Vonnegut quote tattooed on your wrist. 

magval

Aye he worked at the leisure centre and looked like a drawing of himself came to life. He was a prat if you were only this tall but I guess cool if you're an adult I dunno. Died in mysterious circumstances but lives on in this internet post.

kngen

Quote from: kalowski on November 17, 2020, 09:48:01 PM
I knew a German guy called Felix who was unbelievably clever. Lovely bloke too.

I also know a clever, lovely German called Felix.

Icehaven

Jockice

The mother of a schoolfriend of mine is called Camilla. She's middle class instead of posh though.

Jockice

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 16, 2020, 08:49:08 PM
I haven't, but I have had a couple of very posh friends talk about their friend Felix and it seems so outrageously posh. Henrietta is another one. And Harriet. What's the poshest name you've encountered or have an opinion on?

When I was a kid in Carlisle, the family two doors up had a daughter called Harriet. And a son called Humphrey. They weren't posh as far as I can remember, but they did call their parents by their first names  which to the seven-year-old me seemed totally absurd. I think they were both younger than me as well. Even today (if my mum and dad were alive) I don't think I could do that.

kalowski

Quote from: Jockice on November 19, 2020, 06:37:02 PM
When I was a kid in Carlisle, the family two doors up had a daughter called Harriet. And a son called Humphrey. They weren't posh as far as I can remember, but they did call their parents by their first names  which to the seven-year-old me seemed totally absurd. I think they were both younger than me as well. Even today (if my mum and dad were alive) I don't think I could do that.
Just reminded me that my school mate Pete had a neighbour called Rupert. Rupert!! In Stockport.

Jockice

Quote from: kalowski on November 19, 2020, 07:45:12 PM
Just reminded me that my school mate Pete had a neighbour called Rupert. Rupert!! In Stockport.

There was a Rupert who lived quite near me when I moved to Sheffield aged ten. He was another ginge as well so as we all look identical I got mistaken for him more than once.