Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:25:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Suzanne Moore quits The Guardian [split topic]

Started by Sebastian Cobb, November 16, 2020, 07:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

Can't stand to see the word 'silenced' ever again jesus fucking christ

bgmnts

Just an old middle class white woman struggling with the times, like all of the walking corpse centrists army in the western world.

Nothing special.

Ferris

Captain Z

It's all gone very wrong since the Hear'Say days.

Bernice

jobotic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Bernice on November 25, 2020, 08:08:49 AM
That New Statesman piece is unspeakably crap.
How dare you criticise Peter Wilby for his deep knowledge of trans issues:
QuoteI used to skip all articles on this subject. I took no view on JK Rowling, who is also accused of transphobia. I was neither transphobic nor pro-trans. I was just not very interested.
Imagine someone writing that about white supremacists or antisemitism or something.

Google's default Wilby image (also his Twitter photo) makes him look like a 90 year old who's just stepped out in his dressing gown to shout at some clouds.

Bernice

Yeah that line stuck out in particular. The implication being both "this makes me a disinterested party, and thus correct", and also "but now I've picked a side because of Suzanne Moore, and it's the one I've literally just described as transphobic."

buttgammon

The Torygraph AND Unherd - that must be a full house in "I'm being silenced" bingo. Bonus points for that utterly idiotic piece in the New Statesman, but at least the bloke who wrote it had the decency to discredit his own argument by pointing out his own ignorance on the subject.

Urinal Cake

How long before all these journalists ditch Patreon or Substack and try to organise their own paper only for it to fall apart in six months?

jobotic

I am not pro-racist but neither do I have any time for black people, so I should be listened to.

dead-ced-dead

idunnosomename

Giles Fraser also ran off to unherd from the garun when he became a zionist brexiteer. Cunt site for cunts

idunnosomename

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 25, 2020, 09:04:17 AM
How dare you criticise Peter Wilby for his deep knowledge of trans issues:Imagine someone writing that about white supremacists or antisemitism or something.

Google's default Wilby image (also his Twitter photo) makes him look like a 90 year old who's just stepped out in his dressing gown to shout at some clouds.
is he eating tagliatelle or are his teeth actually falling out

pigamus

I've just read it, Christ it's dull

She just isn't a very good writer, that's the truth of it

buttgammon

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 25, 2020, 09:36:16 AM
Giles Fraser also ran off to unherd from the garun when he became a zionist brexiteer. Cunt site for cunts

The title says it all - the overlap between people screaming in numerous national and international media organs about how they're being censored and the freaks tweeting sheep emojis at you if you reference coronavirus (yes, this has happened to me).

JaDanketies

"The reason 10 times as many people signed a letter calling for her shitcanning than signed one calling for her to stay is because reasons!"

holyzombiejesus

Oh god, that unherd article is so tedious. Those horrible attempts at sass.

jobotic

Quote from: Cursus on November 25, 2020, 09:03:42 AM
Plus:

"Why I had to leave The Guardian"

"Jesus, don't sneak up on me like that! Not this again. Look I just want to queue for my sandwich and go, you told me all this yesterday and the day before. Where did you emerge from anyway?"

Cuellar

I've seen the phrase several times, on twitter and now in the flesh in the unherd article, but I've only just realised 'Strung Out To Cry' is a play on 'hung out to dry'. Remarkable.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 25, 2020, 09:36:16 AM

The 'Loose Cannon', lol. Hey, kids, bible-bashing's cool!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 25, 2020, 09:44:08 AM
"The reason 10 times as many people signed a letter calling for her shitcanning than signed one calling for her to stay is because reasons!"

That open letter didn't actually specifically name her, and she's not the only source of it in the paper, but she's self-absorbed enough to act like it did.

Jockice

As a former journalist I'd just like to state here that people leave newspapers all the fucking time for various reasons. It's just not that unusual or important.

phantom_power

It is clear by the way they have to trump the charge up to "silencing women" that she hasn't got a leg to stand on. No-one would argue that silencing women is bad, but denying trans women their right to exist is a bit of a harder sell. It isn't so much silencing women, as telling a specific woman to shut the fuck up when she is talking shit

JaDanketies

Quote from: phantom_power on November 25, 2020, 01:32:17 PM
It is clear by the way they have to trump the charge up to "silencing women" that she hasn't got a leg to stand on. No-one would argue that silencing women is bad, but denying trans women their right to exist is a bit of a harder sell. It isn't so much silencing women, as telling a specific woman to shut the fuck up when she is talking shit

that's what all these terfs do. They conflate 'terf' with 'woman' so they can accuse you of being a misogynist etc. I'm not sure if anyone outside of their bubble finds it convincing.

Also they conflate their detractors with all the 'woke', so they can say things like 'look at these handmaidens, they'll find themselves on the wrong side of the woke soon and then they'll be sorry!'

Ferris

Quote from: phantom_power on November 25, 2020, 01:32:17 PM

She was literally personally bullied by 338 people in the office, per the subhead in that article.