Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:59:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dr Luke and post-#MeToo career revivals

Started by peanutbutter, November 16, 2020, 11:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

So I was listening to some Kim Petras the other day and looked up who the songwriters were, was pretty surprised to see that while he wasn't listed as the album producer Dr Luke was a credited songwriter on pretty much everything she's done. Was kinda weird considering her role within the music scene and all I thought but at the same time it's a pretty big drop from the kind of names he was previously working with so I could see how it'd be a kinda canny move for him to align with a smaller act that's either gonna have their career immediately killed by the association or rehab him quite a bit.

But I was following up on that looking at his wiki and see he signed Doja Cat around the same time his career was falling apart and now she's pretty big including having a number 1 hit written by him so I guess he's just back? He's still able to write pretty great pop songs and that seems to be enough. I don't actually know the full specifics of his accusations but it absolutely seemed like he was a toxic name and his career as anything other than some kind of ghostwriting figure was likely crippled permanently.

Are there any other figures who seemed like they were finished who have since quietly reemerged with seemingly minimal criticism towards acts working with them.

Billy

Chris Brown and 6ix9ine are two artists that come to mind who continue to be massively successful, despite both being guilty of violent domestic abuse and the latter being a child sex offender.

Much harder to think of a mainstream chart performer who was successfully canceled. Has there ever been one?

(Excluding long past their prime has-beens like Gary Glitter)