Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:00:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands and artists that nobody dislikes

Started by JaDanketies, November 17, 2020, 11:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Can you think of any bands or artists that you'd be a right weirdo to actually dislike? I've got a few suggestions:

• Annie Lennox and the Eurythmics
  • Erasure
  • Hendrix
  • Elton John
  • David Bowie
  • Queen
  • Faithless

These are the best bands because you can play them in social situations and control the music, so you don't need to listen to your drunk friend sing along to Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. This is slightly inspired by that thread that asked if anyone likes Rocketman.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Do actually despise both Queen and Bowie, and Elton

I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about Earth Wind & Fire. Far too innocuous.

Thinking of music with extremely broad appeal reminds me of being pressured to go the same fucking 80s night every fucking weekend when I was 18. COME ON IT'S THE 80S EVERYONE LOVES IT IT'S SOOOOOO FUNNNNNNNN

itsfredtitmus

I hate every band in this thread and every other subsequent band that is added

SpiderChrist

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 17, 2020, 11:57:39 AM
Can you think of any bands or artists that you'd be a right weirdo to actually dislike? I've got a few suggestions:

• Erasure
  • Hendrix
  • Elton John
  • David Bowie
  • Queen
  • Faithless

Well, looks like I'm a three time right weirdo.

Fr.Bigley

Everyone's Favourite palindrome based Swedish songsters.

lankyguy95

There are obviously people who dislike Queen.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on November 17, 2020, 12:46:50 PM
Everyone's Favourite palindrome based Swedish songsters.

Can't hack Abba myself!

Quote from: lankyguy95 on November 17, 2020, 12:59:05 PM
There are obviously people who dislike Queen.

I've never encountered one. Except for ITT. I'm not saying you've gotta be a big Queen fan - I once downloaded and then deleted all their albums - but surely everyone would enjoy the overwhelming majority of a Best of Queen CD?

The Culture Bunker

Abba and Queen, I would leave the room if their music was playing such is my loathing for their output. Elton John and Eurythmics/Lennox I can just about bear, but I'd be happy enough to never hear again.

JaDanketies

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 17, 2020, 01:09:47 PM
Abba and Queen, I would leave the room if their music was playing such is my loathing for their output. Elton John and Eurythmics/Lennox I can just about bear, but I'd be happy enough to never hear again.

Actually when I was younger, it felt like clubs always played the same tracks in the same order, and I always would leave for a cigarette when it played Summer of 69, which would inevitably be followed by Livin' On a Prayer. Two songs that I would happily erase from existence but that I assume are near-universally-loved.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 17, 2020, 01:07:29 PM
I'm not saying you've gotta be a big Queen fan - I once downloaded and then deleted all their albums - but surely everyone would enjoy the overwhelming majority of a Best of Queen CD?

Nope. Not everyone, sorry. A tremendously overrated band.

FredNurke

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 17, 2020, 11:57:39 AM

• Erasure
  • Hendrix
  • Elton John
  • David Bowie
  • Queen
  • Faithless

These are the best bands because you can play them in social situations and control the music, so you don't need to listen to your drunk friend sing along to Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. This is slightly inspired by that thread that asked if anyone likes Rocketman.

What little I've heard of Hendrix, I dislike. I only know one Eurythmics song, and only a couple of Elton's. No idea about Erasure or Faithless, although I assume I'd remember some of the former if I heard any. Bowie and Queen are OK.

JaDanketies

someone better write to Erasure and tell them they're scientifically proven to be more popular than Queen

Sin Agog

Of those Erasure and some Bowie are cool with me, the rest not so much.  I tried to relisten to some old Hendrix stuff recently, but it was all a bit plodding and dirgey.  I guess I will admit that Crosstown Traffic's a jam just for the sake of the pun.

I'm surprised how chintzy Abba's backing tracks are whenever I hear one of their songs.  It's like they're playing to an early '90s CD-ROM MIDI of their own music.  The songwriting's usually pretty solid, though, as all the noise rock covers I've heard of their discography attests.

the science eel

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 17, 2020, 01:07:29 PM
but surely everyone would enjoy the overwhelming majority of a Best of Queen CD?

don't be so bloody stupid

honeychile

Kylie Minogue is skippable at worst, but i've never met anyone who thinks she's shite. She's churned out enough good stuff in every decade to retain good will.

chveik

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: chveik on November 17, 2020, 01:54:10 PM
he's trolling

As always, yes. This ridiculous thread is ridiculous on purpose.

kngen

Christ, I fucking hate Queen. Always have.

I've come round to at least appreciate the craft of some music that my adolescent self despised (ABBA, for example) but Queen. No chance. Anything after Queen II (which I can at least cock an ear to for its hard rock/prog elements) is fucking torture.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 17, 2020, 01:56:12 PM
As always, yes. This ridiculous thread is ridiculous on purpose.

I'm not trolling. I was kinda hoping people would pitch in with their own suggestions rather than get offended cos they don't like Queen. I can get 'ah Queen, I'll take 'em or leave em' but not 'throw that fuckin radio through the window'. I don't literally mean you are weirdos. I mean, if Queen came on and someone said, "wow I hate Queen," they would probably get puzzled glances.

Nirvana? My 58-year-old mum was just round here babysitting and she started singing along to Lithium, which surprised me. And she also sang along to Tenacious D - Wonderboy.

Maybe Neil Young is also liked by everyone other than offended Confederate flag wearers.

Sin Agog

I'll go with the Ramones. There are plenty o' people who can't be doing with guitar music of any stripe, but Joey was so beholden to a good, intuitive, '50s/'60s-style melody that usually they'll be credited on at least that level.

the science eel

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 17, 2020, 02:07:47 PM
I was kinda hoping people would pitch in with their own suggestions

Kinks
Velvets
Bowie
Pistols
Sly
Beatles

Sin Agog

Patrice O'Neal's breakdown of Creep and his research into how it taps into the white people soul always cracks me up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1qKy4cMPUI

NoSleep

Did this on another forum and The Kinks were the winners. Also UB40 were the most hated.

SteveDave

John Robins has made me absolute loath Queen. I used to think they were an OK singles band but they're really awful. I made the mistake of trying to listen to an album of theirs over the summer and it made me hate all music for a few days.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I mean, if Queen came on and someone said, "wow I hate Queen," they would probably get puzzled glances.

Especially if they were at a Queen convention. Otherwise, you're talking nonsense.

I'm replying to him, I know.

JaDanketies

Quote from: NoSleep on November 17, 2020, 02:15:23 PM
Did this on another forum and The Kinks were the winners. Also UB40 were the most hated.

Asked Alexa to play 'The Kinks Top Tracks' and I think you're on to a winner here

JaDanketies

Quote from: the science eel on November 17, 2020, 02:15:12 PM
Kinks
Velvets
Bowie
Pistols
Sly
Beatles

Yeah great suggestions here, Sly and the Family Stone is a clever choice.

Endicott

Nirvana? My 58-year-old mum was just round here babysitting and she started singing along to Lithium, which surprised me. And she also sang along to Tenacious D - Wonderboy.

Lithium, from 1991, when your Mum was 29 years old. Why wouldn't she like it?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Endicott on November 17, 2020, 02:53:38 PM
Lithium, from 1991, when your Mum was 29 years old. Why wouldn't she like it?

She was on Lithium at the time.