Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:01:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands and artists that nobody dislikes

Started by JaDanketies, November 17, 2020, 11:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

I know more people who hate Radiohead than like them. True story

Not me though. I like them lots

JaDanketies

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 18, 2020, 12:22:46 PM
I imagine it needs to be an artist with at least one big hit that even people who don't like music will know, but also have enough relatively lefteld material. Radiohead? REM?

REM is a great shout.

I didn't like Radiohead when I was younger, primarily because all of my indie-loving friends liked it and I assumed it was part of the early-00s wave of same-sounding dirge. I recognise they've got some absolutely incredible albums now. I missed out!

Custard

Madness? Though one of my best friends laughed a lot when I told him I'd bought a greatest hits a few years ago

NoSleep

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 18, 2020, 12:05:08 PM
It's easy if you try.

You're talking to someone who listens to a fair amount of music that took a few tries (because I found it was worthwhile). But when it comes to what is widely available commercial music I find some things attention grabbing, like the first time I heard Hendrix, and not all music has that ability. It isn't like you can miss hearing commercial stuff, given its ubiquity, so if something stands out, it gets a tick by its name.

Actually, that reminds me. There's music they play in Poundland that is specially made, allegedly to sound as much like modern pop stuff as possible, but without the cost. Originally (before I knew it was purpose made) I had noticed the occasional tune sounding pretty good here and there and thought to myself that this sounded unusually good for pop music and wondered how it had slipped by usual arbiters (extremely popular music is extremely average by definition; then you promote the fuck out of it; it's McDonalds for the ears).

JaDanketies

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 18, 2020, 12:43:49 PM
Madness? Though one of my best friends laughed a lot when I told him I'd bought a greatest hits a few years ago

Madness were one of the first non-terrible-talentless-shit-for-kids bands I got into. If someone was adamantly loathing of Madness, or Bad Manners for that matter, they would definitely be weird. Like they got punched by Suggs or something.

On the slightly more 'music to be angry to' side, does anyone actually dislike Black Sabbath?

Quote from: NoSleep on November 18, 2020, 01:13:28 PM
Actually, that reminds me. There's music they play in Poundland that is specially made, allegedly to sound as much like modern pop stuff as possible, but without the cost.

That evokes the almost-Sigur-Ros-but-not-quite music that they stuff on adverts and TV shows these days.

Icehaven

When Bowie died the then singer in my band claimed not to know any of his music because he was "too young" despite the fact that a) he was in his mid-30s, b) he knew plenty of other music from the 70s/80s/90s and c) Bowie's output has been far, far too ubiquitous for the last 5 decades for anyone over the age of about 5 to realistically claim they don't know a single thing by him, so the rest of us concluded he just didn't like him but didn't want to admit it because the entire world was in mourning.

sutin

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 18, 2020, 12:22:46 PM
I imagine it needs to be an artist with at least one big hit that even people who don't like music will know, but also have enough relatively lefteld material. Radiohead? REM?

I hate Radiohead and at least half of my friends do too. REM are a good call though.

daf

Gay Dad

(I'm joking obvously - I think it's only me who liked them!)

sutin

Quote from: icehaven on November 18, 2020, 01:34:22 PM
When Bowie died the then singer in my band claimed not to know any of his music because he was "too young" despite the fact that a) he was in his mid-30s, b) he knew plenty of other music from the 70s/80s/90s and c) Bowie's output has been far, far too ubiquitous for the last 5 decades for anyone over the age of about 5 to realistically claim they don't know a single thing by him, so the rest of us concluded he just didn't like him but didn't want to admit it because the entire world was in mourning.

Before I met my girlfriend in 2013, I knew about 4 Bowie songs.

Bowie sucks.

Utter Shit

I don't really know many David Bowie songs, and only like two - Rebel Rebel and Under Pressure. And Under Pressure is a Queen song really, isn't it. I'm sure there would be some more in his catalogue that I'd like if I heard them, but I've been indifferent to almost all of what I have heard, so have never bothered checking out the rest. Even the classic, universally-loved ones like Heroes and Changes, I just don't get it. Certainly don't *hate* them, but don't see the appeal.

sutin

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 18, 2020, 02:21:18 PM
I don't really know many David Bowie songs, and only like two - Rebel Rebel and Under Pressure. And Under Pressure is a Queen song really, isn't it. I'm sure there would be some more in his catalogue that I'd like if I heard them, but I've been indifferent to almost all of what I have heard, so have never bothered checking out the rest. Even the classic, universally-loved ones like Heroes and Changes, I just don't get it. Certainly don't *hate* them, but don't see the appeal.

I only care for Sound & Vision. His stuff is largely boring and derivative to me. Take Jean Genie for example, it just sounds like every other '50s Chuck Berry rock 'n' roll song.

I wouldn't say I hate them either, they're just dull as fuck.

Jockice

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 18, 2020, 01:31:16 PM
Madness were one of the first non-terrible-talentless-shit-for-kids bands I got into. If someone was adamantly loathing of Madness, or Bad Manners for that matter, they would definitely be weird. Like they got punched by Suggs or something.

I'm sure I've previously mentuined the bloke I knew (like me a provincial music journalist) who seemed to like every act on earth. With the exceptions of  Madness and Morrissey, both of whom he despised. Could never quite work that one out. Perhaps Suggs did punch him. I wouldn't have blamed him.

Custard

Quote from: Jockice on November 18, 2020, 02:42:29 PM
I'm sure I've previously mentuined the bloke I knew (like me a provincial music journalist) who seemed to like every act on earth. With the exceptions of  Madness and Morrissey, both of whom he despised. Could never quite work that one out. Perhaps Suggs did punch him. I wouldn't have blamed him.

Maybe he went to Madstock?

JaDanketies

Quote from: sutin on November 18, 2020, 02:37:07 PM
I only care for Sound & Vision. His stuff is largely boring and derivative to me. Take Jean Genie for example, it just sounds like every other '50s Chuck Berry rock 'n' roll song.

You might like Little Wonder; it sounds like Aphex Twin.

purlieu

Quote from: thugler on November 18, 2020, 11:49:05 AM
Pixies I think are pretty universally liked no?
God no, I hate them. I know a few people who don't really like four-chord indie rock in general, so Pixies would definitely be on their dislike list.

Surprised anyone could think REM would fit this thread. I've come across so many people who loathe them, and although I'm somewhat baffled by that fact, I'm used to them just getting that response.

sutin

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 18, 2020, 02:54:14 PM

That was the first Bowie song I ever heard (bar Under Pressure)! I thought he was a D'n'B artist for a few years in the '90s!

I don't think i've ever heard Aphex Twin.

sutin

Quote from: purlieu on November 18, 2020, 03:01:31 PM
Surprised anyone could think REM would fit this thread. I've come across so many people who loathe them, and although I'm somewhat baffled by that fact, I'm used to them just getting that response.

I find that very hard to believe.

Goldentony

Quote from: daf on November 18, 2020, 02:01:32 PM
Gay Dad

(I'm joking obvously - I think it's only me who liked them!)

round where I grew up there was a big poster for a Gay Dad single up on a wall for fucking years and years, way after they were relevant for those few minutes in TOTP once and everyone else decided that was it

Goldentony

Quote from: purlieu on November 18, 2020, 03:01:31 PM

yeah IMO this one goes either way largely, people will say Radio Free Europe yes, the mid 90s onwards, no

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I expect Radiohead are dismissed by many as pretentious and depressing.

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 18, 2020, 01:31:16 PM
On the slightly more 'music to be angry to' side, does anyone actually dislike Black Sabbath?
I think Metal in general is loathed by a vast section of the population. Even the more sensible end of the spectrum, who don't believe in all the satanic panic nonsense, tend to think it's all tuneless brainrot.

Quote from: jobotic on November 17, 2020, 09:13:12 PM
Can't imagine anyone dislikes ALL of Elvis' stuff. Most of it is bollocks in my opinion but when it's good it's Mystery Train.
Chuck D doesn't seem to be a fan.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: thugler on November 18, 2020, 11:49:05 AM
Pixies I think are pretty universally liked no?

I remember the music press wanking themselves into a collective frenzy over them, and not long after John Peel announced he was playing a session by them, so I thought "Ok, let's find out what they sound like then."  And I was disappointed.  "Is that it?" I thought.

thenoise

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 17, 2020, 11:57:39 AMFaithless

They made enough catchy dancefloor classics to make up for it, I suppose, but they did cause Dido, whose bland uninterested way of singing not only clogged up cafe playlists for the next five years, but also seems to have persuaded every female singer since to sing in a similarly non-committal style.

Jockice

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 18, 2020, 02:50:25 PM
Maybe he went to Madstock?

He didn't. I checked. That would have been the worst day of his life ever.

The Mollusk

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 18, 2020, 02:54:14 PM

fucking lol, absolutely no chance you're not trolling

JaDanketies

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 18, 2020, 04:18:03 PM
fucking lol, absolutely no chance you're not trolling

alright then, it sounds like Reel Big Fish meets the Pogues

the science eel

Quote from: sutin on November 18, 2020, 02:37:07 PM

Aye right you are. And the Beatles sound like Noel Coward and they're as sad as shit.

Goldentony

Queen - I find anyone who dislikes them sometimes have more time for the faster Status Quo/Paranoid version of We Will Rock You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB00gdc4bFU

if you don't, honestly it's fine, I dont give a fuck mate

I really hate Queen and even I have one or two "favourite Queen songs".

The Show Must Go On and Killer Queen.