Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:40:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands and artists that nobody dislikes

Started by JaDanketies, November 17, 2020, 11:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Quote from: Endicott on November 17, 2020, 02:53:38 PM
Lithium, from 1991, when your Mum was 29 years old. Why wouldn't she like it?

It's just a bit angry for her. But that reminds me of two much-loved bands I remember finding really annoying when she played them in the car when I was a pre-teen, but I now appreciate:

• Fleetwood Mac
  • and Bob Marley

earl_sleek

Prince? I can't remember anyone expressing an active dislike of his music to me.

80's Madonna?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: earl_sleek on November 17, 2020, 03:42:09 PM
Prince? I can't remember anyone expressing an active dislike of his music to me.

80's Madonna?

I know a lot of people that don't like the experimental side of prince's work but would agree on the majority not having a bad word to say about him, including me, because I fucking love him.

Dr Rock

Many Wacko Jacko fans hate him as they see him as a rival.

Which brings me to the Jackson 5. Everyone likes I Want You Back surely. Easier sell than adult Michael.

Dr Rock

Pulp, The Human League and maybe T.Rex.. What a dullard you'd have to be to dislike T.Rex.

chveik

what a stupid thread

- surely no one dislikes X
- well yes I do

etc.

earl_sleek

jamiefairlie

80's Madonna?

Sorry, detest both of these.

JaDanketies

That music TV channel that plays 70s hits is currently playing Money by Pink Floyd at the moment. I would think Pink Floyd are nearing universal acclaim these days. I don't like them for the following reason:

• emotionally-unhinged abusive ex's dead dad loved Pink Floyd to a fanboy level
  • so she'd listen to them and get upset
  • and get mad at the world
  • so now it's kinda like a Pavlovian response for me; when I hear Pink Floyd it used to make me feel anxious and apprehensive

Then when I got over it, I took acid and ket and watched the film The Wall and it was largely bollocks.

My fave Madonna era is the dancy 90s / 00s stuff she did, like Ray of Light, What it Feels Like For a Girl. I used to say that Like a Prayer was my top Madonna song but I have now decided it is Frozen.

the science eel

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 17, 2020, 03:59:22 PM
Pulp, The Human League and maybe T.Rex.. What a dullard you'd have to be to dislike T.Rex.

YES these are good choices.

Anyway there are answers that a regular on a forum such as THIS would give, and answers that someone 'in the street' would give. These answers would be very different.

Most rock fans I know dislike Prince and Madonna. I'm surprised these two were mentioned. But who, who has heard Big Star, dislikes them? yet they're a classic 'music message board band'

JaDanketies

Kinda feel like I'm spamming this with whatever comes on the music players at any given time, but we've just had Will Smith playing Wild Wild West. One of his worst songs, but everyone loves a bit of Willard.

edit: And now Stevie Wonder!

The Mollusk

Quote from: chveik on November 17, 2020, 04:00:29 PM
what a stupid thread

- surely no one dislikes X
- well yes I do

etc.

The subforum's been largely crap for a while now so it's no real loss

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Anything popular is always going to have at least some detractors, even if it's just for contrarian/snobby reasons.

studpuppet

Klaus Voormann.

So nice he managed to keep on good terms with all four Beatles post-split, and now he looks like how you'd want your cool barge-living, skunk-smoking granddad to look. In fact the only thing you could hold against him is that he was responsible for Trio back in the eighties.

pigamus

NoSleep

Phil Minton will teach the world to sing.

Willie Nelson. Might not be your thing, but I defy anyone to genuinely dislike Willie.

Willie is one of the great things in life. I love to just lie back in bed and let Willie wash over me.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 17, 2020, 05:57:50 PM
Willie Nelson. Might not be your thing, but I defy anyone to genuinely dislike Willie.

87 years old and still with us! Yeah he's great for the rebels as well as the more straight-laced folk. Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings too, maybe?

I think alllmost everyone likes this song: Keiza - Hideaway. Was reading her Wikipedia the other day and she got in a car accident while riding in a taxi not long after this came out and suffered a serious brain injury, which is very sad.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Everyone likes a bit of Willie in their ears.

Sin Agog

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 17, 2020, 05:21:37 PM

Honestly, and this isn't just me being a snidey twat dredging up an old argument, but not having a place to post about some album or song I'm into (but haven't listened to five times in a row) where I don't have to put the spotlight on myself by starting a new thread, is one reason why a lot of effusive giddiness has been greedily kept to myself.

kalowski

I utterly fucking hate Queen. Literally no redeeming features other than they're "not Elton John"

PS I'm not a homophobe.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 17, 2020, 05:21:37 PM

Get yourself over to the 'Alternative Pop' thread. It's a joyous thing.

lankyguy95

Quote from: SteveDave on November 17, 2020, 02:16:27 PM
John Robins has made me absolute loath Queen.
I saw him on TV once wearing that yellow Freddie Mercury jacket and I almost vomited in my mouth. I don't mind Queen but fucking hell...

purlieu

You can knock Nirvana, Sex Pistols and Ramones off the list, I fucking loathe them. T Rex do absolutely nothing for me at all, although I think Bolan was a pretty cool guy.

We did this thread sometime in the last 18 months and at the end of it the only uncontested band was Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 17, 2020, 06:41:42 PM
Honestly, and this isn't just me being a snidey twat dredging up an old argument, but not having a place to post about some album or song I'm into (but haven't listened to five times in a row) where I don't have to put the spotlight on myself by starting a new thread, is one reason why a lot of effusive giddiness has been greedily kept to myself.

Just do it, man. You've got good taste in music and a good way with words. Post it up.