Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands and artists that nobody dislikes

Started by JaDanketies, November 17, 2020, 11:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: Jockice on November 29, 2020, 08:53:45 AM
I can't stand James Brown either. When he died I hoped that all other musicians decided to have a rehearsal on the day of his funeral like he did when his band's friends or relatives died. What a tosser.

That's why I suggested the J.B.'s without him. I worked with three former J.B.'s (Fred Wesley, Maceo Parker & Pee Wee Ellis) and they shared your love for James and told me many a tale. During his time in jail they decided never to work with him again.

Jockice

Quote from: NoSleep on November 29, 2020, 10:12:37 AM
That's why I suggested the J.B.'s without him. I worked with three former J.B.'s (Fred Wesley, Maceo Parker & Pee Wee Ellis) and they shared your love for James and told me many a tale.

Far enough. Cross The Track is of course a classic that instantly transports me back to my early 20s. Not that I'm old enough to have heard it on release but it was a regular in clubs I used to go in the late 80s. Yer Jive Turkeys and suchlike. I suspect I may even have danced to it at some point. And I practically never dance.

Jockice

Quote from: jobotic on November 29, 2020, 10:11:44 AM
Oh I realise that.

I'm not trying to shout you down, I think I mostly agree with you.

It's fair enough. We are the same person. Allegedly.

pigamus

Quote from: non capisco on November 28, 2020, 10:05:11 PM
I'm sure there are people who dislike Erasure but I don't want to know them because they will have nothing to offer me. Likewise Beastie Boys.

For me it's not the songs, I just can't stand his voice.

Quote from: Jockice on November 29, 2020, 10:21:55 AM
Far enough. Cross The Track is of course a classic that instantly transports me back to my early 20s. Not that I'm old enough to have heard it on release but it was a regular in clubs I used to go in the late 80s. Yer Jive Turkeys and suchlike. I suspect I may even have danced to it at some point. And I practically never dance.

Good call from NoSleep, most of the tracks on the first two James Brown's Funky People LPs were guaranteed floorfillers at any party back then.

Quote from: Jockice on November 29, 2020, 08:43:12 AM
Absolutely Fabulous, DJ Culture, New York City Boy. And Heart, which everyone else seems to like but I think is shit. The case for the prosecution rests. I do love them though, but I think they have a bit of the OMDs about them in that their singles were either fantastic or dreadful, with no in-between.

I loved their initial run of 12 singles from West End Girls to It's Alright (except Always On My Mind which was OK and It's A Sin which I actively hated), everything since then left me cold.

I've always assumed that's a me thing rather than a PSB thing.

Jockice

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 29, 2020, 12:27:20 PM
I loved their initial run of 12 singles from West End Girls to It's Alright (except Always On My Mind which was OK and It's A Sin which I actively hated), everything since then left me cold.

I've always assumed that's a me thing rather than a PSB thing.

I've never liked West End Girls  And not (as someone once suggested) just because it topped the charts. I disliked it on first hearing. I think it's probably the worst track on Please. In a similar way I think Wrote For Luck is the worst track on Bummed.

Quote from: Jockice on November 29, 2020, 12:56:39 PM
I've never liked West End Girls  And not (as someone once suggested) just because it topped the charts. I disliked it on first hearing. I think it's probably the worst track on Please.

I preferred Opportunities, I never really got into any of the albums for some reason, but those singles were great.

Quote from: Jockice on November 29, 2020, 12:56:39 PM
I think Wrote For Luck is the worst track on Bummed.

Wrote For Luck is the best Happy Mondays track off any of their albums.

jobotic

Freaky Dancing is their best,.

I really like a few PSB singles but couldn't ever be arsed to investigate further.

kalowski

I can't stand the Pet Shop Boys. I hate soulless music.