Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands and artists that nobody dislikes

Started by JaDanketies, November 17, 2020, 11:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Quote from: Jockice on November 17, 2020, 08:08:16 PM
Slade.

Might be identifying myself here but my non-blood uncle's brother is in Slade.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: chveik on November 17, 2020, 04:00:29 PM
what a stupid thread

- surely no one dislikes X
- well yes I do

etc.

...until someone mentions Status Quo.

Mantle Retractor

Most artists on the Stax and Motown labels: Otis Redding, The Supremes, Booker T, Marvin Gaye...

This era doesn't inspire any kind of vitriolic hatred.

Dr Rock

BlodwynPig

Jockice

Buddy Holly.
I was going to say the Beach Boys, but apparently Noel Gallagher doesn't like them.

Dr Rock

I dislike Buddy Holly's music. Also I don't like his face.

jobotic

Can't imagine anyone dislikes ALL of Elvis' stuff. Most of it is bollocks in my opinion but when it's good it's Mystery Train.

rue the polywhirl

I don't like any of Elvis's stuff. Very hokey, all of it. Whereas the Beatles I reckon everyone likes that stuff even if they say they dislike it. On some elemental level they like it very much.

bgmnts

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on November 17, 2020, 09:17:26 PM
I don't like any of Elvis's stuff. Very hokey, all of it. Whereas the Beatles I reckon everyone likes that stuff even if they say they dislike it. On some elemental level they like it very much.

Nah most Beatles is gash, but In the Ghetto is a brilliant song.

purlieu

Not to dismiss almost everything mentioned so far, but I've come across people who dislike vocals in music as a rule.

earl_sleek

sutin

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 17, 2020, 11:57:39 AM
Can you think of any bands or artists that you'd be a right weirdo to actually dislike? I've got a few suggestions:

• Annie Lennox and the Eurythmics
  • Erasure
  • Hendrix
  • Elton John
  • David Bowie
  • Queen
  • Faithless

These are the best bands because you can play them in social situations and control the music, so you don't need to listen to your drunk friend sing along to Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. This is slightly inspired by that thread that asked if anyone likes Rocketman.

I don't like Bowie's music and never have.

I like Queen but tons of people don't.

Dr Rock

sutin

Quote from: earl_sleek on November 17, 2020, 03:42:09 PM
Prince? I can't remember anyone expressing an active dislike of his music to me.

My GF's business partner absolutely loathes Prince. She's the only person i've ever met who hates Prince. Ween are her favourite band and she refuses to accept that Prince was one of their biggest influences.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Judie Tzuke
We Are Going To Eat You
Pilot
The Monks ( from the 1960s, The Fall did cover versions of three- quarters of their entire back catalogue)
The Monks ( from 1979, " Nice Legs , Shame About The Face" hitmakers)
Hey! Elastica
Stackwaddy
Neu!
The Fizzbombs
The Archies
Drugstore
The Rolling Stones

As has already been pointed out, this thread is FUCKING STUPID.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: sutin on November 17, 2020, 09:56:39 PM
My GF's business partner absolutely loathes Prince. She's the only person i've ever met who hates Prince. Ween are her favourite band and she refuses to accept that Prince was one of their biggest influences.

What does she think about 'LMLYP'?

Jockice

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 17, 2020, 09:09:20 PM
I dislike Buddy Holly's music. Also I don't like his face.

he doesn't like yours either. Want to do something about it pal? Eh?

Il y a Volkswagens. Nobody dislikes them. Mind you, nobody but me has heard of them.

sutin

Quote from: Gregory Torso on November 17, 2020, 10:03:06 PM
What does she think about 'LMLYP'?

She refuses to accept that it's meant to sound like Prince! She's off her rocker with Prince-hate.

Urinal Cake

The Beatles
David Bowie
Nirvana
ABBA
Ac\DC
Tupac
Kendrick Lamar
Marvin Gaye
Prince
Robin
Kylie

badaids

Fr.Bigley

mojo filters

Quote from: badaids on November 17, 2020, 11:01:23 PM
Everyone likes Portishead don't they?

I'd have thought so. Portishead have the same (high) quality of (at worst) minimum inoffensiveness as Massive Attack.

Both bands are brilliant at their best, and perfectly acceptable at the opposite end of that particular musical spectrum; great music that sacrifices nothing in terms of artistic integrity, yet achieves a broad scope of appeal. If nothing else, people will appreciate the perfect production values evident on all their music.

I'd also add to the list:

● James Taylor
● Paul Simon (including Simon and Garfunkel)
● George Harrison
● Carole King
● The Police
● Tracey Chapman
● Elliott Smith

You might not like entire individual albums, and/or later material - but it's hard to say there's anything definitively objectionable about the good stuff.

Applying the latter standard to my own experience, I'd also add:

● The Who
● Jethro Tull
● The Cure

...to that list, though whilst I suspect those will be more controversial choices, I'm looking forward to reading well thought out reasons for folks' objections!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: earl_sleek on November 17, 2020, 09:35:56 PM
Ozric Tentacles

Unlistenable hippie garbage.

Wait, what am I saying?! People, PEOPLE, he's started this thread to divide and conquer us all!!! It's working, godammit! We must be strong!!