Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:26:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands and artists that nobody dislikes

Started by JaDanketies, November 17, 2020, 11:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earl_sleek

It would have to be an artist that everyone is aware of and likes a little bit, or is ambivalent to, and nobody actually hates. Pulp?

easytarget

chveik

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 18, 2020, 02:06:41 AM
It would have to be an artist that everyone is aware of and likes a little bit, or is ambivalent to, and nobody actually hates. Pulp?

bands that anyone can at least tolerate one song, unless they've been subjected to it 50 times a day in Guantanamo

thenoise

John Williams
Jerry Goldsmith
Danny Elfman

Etc. At worst it might remind you of a film you didnt enjoy. But there's nothing more universal than orchestral film music nowadays. And there is no frontman/woman to be annoyed by.

JaDanketies

MGMT might make the list.

I don't even know a lot of the bands posted here, will have to check 'em out. I've put on Rush now; they're a weird choice.

I saw Ozric Tentacles in Liverpool once. Got a coach back home, missed the stop and woke up just afterwards on the way to Preston. Had to spend the night at Preston coach station and missed work the next day.

jobotic

I had to sleep in Waterloo station, then spend two hours in Eastleigh on a Sunday morning desperately looking for somewhere to have a shit, after seeing The Moonflowers.

Don't see hippy bands.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

dr beat

Just glanced at the thread opener and the obvious question is: who the fuck likes the Eurythmics?

chveik

Quote from: thenoise on November 18, 2020, 08:33:36 AM
John Williams
Jerry Goldsmith
Danny Elfman

Etc. At worst it might remind you of a film you didnt enjoy. But there's nothing more universal than orchestral film music nowadays. And there is no frontman/woman to be annoyed by.

Ennio Morricone surely? John Williams' scores are often irritating and very cheesy.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on November 18, 2020, 10:41:26 AM
Just glanced at the thread opener and the obvious question is: who the fuck likes the Eurythmics?

Annie Lennox and the Eurythmics have loads of good songs. But it's more about the fact that nobody hates the Eurythmics.

the science eel

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 18, 2020, 11:15:17 AM
Annie Lennox and the Eurythmics have loads of good songs. But it's more about the fact that nobody hates the Eurythmics.

Annie Lennox is one of the most hated solo artists of the last 30 years.

Have you heard her 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale'?

JaDanketies

Quote from: the science eel on November 18, 2020, 11:20:45 AM
Annie Lennox is one of the most hated solo artists of the last 30 years.

Have you heard her 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale'?

yeah it's not as good as Procol Harum, it was a bit of an unnecessary cover. It's not offensively bad though. It's just a good tune with some of the good parts removed. 

I can't imagine anyone disliking a Kenny G track.

jobotic

I don't hate Joe Dolce but that doesn't mean I rate him.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 18, 2020, 11:24:19 AM
I can't imagine anyone disliking a Kenny G track.

Kenny G was kind of a running joke for us in high school, with the punchline being that his music was terrible

Utter Shit

Bob Marley is probably the closest I can think of, I've never known anyone to dislike his music. Maybe some of the old soul singers like Sam Cooke and Jackie Wilson?

thugler

Quote from: earl_sleek on November 18, 2020, 01:33:19 AM
Lamb of God, then.

No.. very boring band. And the singer has that rubbish modern screaming sound that everyone does now. And the drums are all clicky.

Pixies I think are pretty universally liked no?

thenoise

Quote from: chveik on November 18, 2020, 10:45:46 AM
Ennio Morricone surely? John Williams' scores are often irritating and very cheesy.

Yes, you're probably right. Tends to be decent enough music though, even if it's overused in the films..
Exception is orchestral musicians who are presented with this year's programme - film music tends to be quite dull to play. But we are talking about listeners...

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 18, 2020, 11:30:54 AM

Kenny G was kind of a running joke for us in high school, with the punchline being that his music was terrible

Good joke.

NoSleep

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on November 17, 2020, 09:17:26 PM
I don't like any of Elvis's stuff. Very hokey, all of it. Whereas the Beatles I reckon everyone likes that stuff even if they say they dislike it. On some elemental level they like it very much.

On an elemental level I find the Beatles average, whilst I love music that stands out to me. Just because you can't imagine that doesn't make it any less true.

grainger

Quote from: thugler on November 18, 2020, 11:49:05 AM
No.. very boring band. And the singer has that rubbish modern screaming sound that everyone does now. And the drums are all clicky.

Pixies I think are pretty universally liked no?
Depends. Are we talking amongst rock music fans, or just people in general? I think lots of people who don't like raucous music (e.g. people who only like easy listening stuff) would hate the Pixies. And even amongst rock fans, there are genre zealots who hate anything outside of that genre.

I don't think there is any music that someone, somewhere wouldn't hate it if they heard it.

What about bands that hardly anyone has actually heard, so no-one hates them for that reason? That could work.
This question has so many undefined premises that it's unanswerable.

Quote from: NoSleep on November 18, 2020, 11:54:27 AM
On an elemental level I find the Beatles average, whilst I love music that stands out to me. Just because you can't imagine that doesn't make it any less true.

It's easy if you try.

Custard

Chas and Dave

If you don't like Chas and Dave then you don't like joy and you don't have a soul either

WE'RE ALL SNOOKAH...LOOPEEE

I imagine it needs to be an artist with at least one big hit that even people who don't like music will know, but also have enough relatively lefteld material. Radiohead? REM?