Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jockdown II: No Way Out West

Started by canadagoose, November 17, 2020, 05:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 12, 2021, 11:14:11 PM
The Meadows now has a load of signs up saying it's illegal to drink there. They look like Soviet propaganda in style, lots of red and black and a minimalist design depicting a bottle. Along with the patrolling Covid goons in tabards it's depressing to see and I have a horrible feeling this will last beyond lockdown. Handy way to kill off all the barbecues and only allow Fringe events organisers to destroy the grass with their massive tents.

Fucking enraging, that. That's literally our land, we can do what the fuck we want on it, barbecue, drink booze, play bongos, chuck frisbees, it's not up to these cunts. Their job is to keep it clean, it's not that hard, pay some cunts to go round it picking up the shite, create some jobs. Have these dickheads never been abroad to those other euro cultural cities where they powerhose the streets every night?  Ian Rankin can fuck off too, grassing Fife prick, moaning about bottles and crisp bags on his twitter feed when he's not poncing around snapping nice posh doorways and bits of wall for his 2m followers, going "I love this city". Go home to Glenrothes you turgid hack cunt. "Edinburgh's very much a character in my books" yeah you and every other half sentient arsehole with a typewriter who pitches up here thinking they're Muriel Spark. Urgh. Fucking hate what this place has become, you feel like an intruder in your own city.

canadagoose

Quote from: Rizla on April 18, 2021, 10:35:03 PM
Fucking enraging, that. That's literally our land, we can do what the fuck we want on it, barbecue, drink booze, play bongos, chuck frisbees, it's not up to these cunts. Their job is to keep it clean, it's not that hard, pay some cunts to go round it picking up the shite, create some jobs. Have these dickheads never been abroad to those other euro cultural cities where they powerhose the streets every night?  Ian Rankin can fuck off too, grassing Fife prick, moaning about bottles and crisp bags on his twitter feed when he's not poncing around snapping nice posh doorways and bits of wall for his 2m followers, going "I love this city". Go home to Glenrothes you turgid hack cunt. "Edinburgh's very much a character in my books" yeah you and every other half sentient arsehole with a typewriter who pitches up here thinking they're Muriel Spark. Urgh. Fucking hate what this place has become, you feel like an intruder in your own city.
What still gets to me is how trapped you are when you're a city-dweller. You can't go to Musselburgh to drink in public, 'cos it's banned in there anyway by by-laws. You can't go into the hills because police harass you. Ahh I've been in Leith for ages now and I just want peace, quiet and a can of beer. Is that so terrible? If I was back in the Borders I'd be away up the Ailen for a wee sesh but I'm not. I could go but I can't go into a toilet because dogshit regulations.

edit: adding source

holdover

Newhaven/Leith area still has a few places in which I've been enjoying a drink in the sun. Down by Lighthouse Park. Plenty wildlife flying around too.

dissolute ocelot

Drinking outdoors was illegal in Glasgow and lots of other Scottish towns and cities even pre-lockdown. I get the feeling the police are itching to spread the prohibition. It's much more orderly if people aren't allowed to do anything. Let them drink at home and keep their alcoholism under wraps.

MrMrs

what's this announcement tomorrow then?

Blue Jam

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 19, 2021, 12:55:50 PM
Drinking outdoors was illegal in Glasgow and lots of other Scottish towns and cities even pre-lockdown. I get the feeling the police are itching to spread the prohibition.

This is my concern too. Not being able to drink in The Meadows would feel very wrong, I don't think people will stand for it. Went for a run yesterday, did a lap of The Meadows, and it looked like every single one of those "IT IS ILLEGAL TO DRINK ALCOHOL IN THE MEADOWS" had been torn down, heheheh.

Quote from: canadagoose on April 19, 2021, 02:34:31 AM
What still gets to me is how trapped you are when you're a city-dweller. You can't go to Musselburgh to drink in public, 'cos it's banned in there anyway by by-laws. You can't go into the hills because police harass you. Ahh I've been in Leith for ages now and I just want peace, quiet and a can of beer. Is that so terrible?

I cycled to Portobello once, had an alcohol-free beer at The Espy (because I don't drink and cycle) while they were briefly open before the second lockdown, but apart from that I've mostly been travelling between my flat and my workplace. Staying in a tiny 3-mile radius. It's driving me fucking mad. I'd love to go out to the Pentlands now but I don't dare, and even going round Arthur's Seat to say hello to the swans and the otters makes me a bit nervous.

Last summer going for a few drinks in The Meadows was the only thing keeping me sane, the only thing that felt nice and normal, with people about, a bit of atmosphere. I'll be gutted if I can never do that again. And the polis presence is just depressing, I can't relax while they're patrolling. I'm only going to The Meadows to exercise now, I'm doing absolutely nothing illegal but they still make me nervous.

greencalx

CEC won't be happy until every bit of green space is occupied by an Underbelly tent selling you Tennants at 8 quid a pop under the watchful eye of a bouncer.