Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tom & Jerry: The Movie

Started by notjosh, November 17, 2020, 06:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

The trailer is now out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmyWmfujfF4

After accounting for the fact that all trailers are terrible and make everything look bad, I think this has the potential to be fairly enjoyable. The animation is relatively faithful, even if the gags don't look as inventive as the original shorts.

I predict moderate fun, 2 proper laughs and 1-3 "stop getting Tom and Jerry wrong" moments.

El Unicornio, mang

Quite like the look of it as far as lightweight entertainment goes, Chloe Moretz is usually good too.

Blumf

Not sold on the live action setting. Also, you didn't get the proper Tom yell when the window was slammed on his fingers.

Otherwise, looks okay. We know how much worse is can be.

madhair60

Replies From View

As long as Tom and Jerry have grimly winsome voices and are best buddies in this I don't mind what happens.

Hand Solo

Another fucking Tom & Jezza are bezzie mates movie? FUCK OFF.

Think about how that sounds, it's ridiculous. I mean.. they get together it's going to be a terrifying battle they're not going to get along much less have a bash of some kind.

DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT!

Replies From View

They'd be great pissing around on the set of Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory film, too. 

All these fantastic ideas I am already thoroughly brimming with

holyzombiejesus

At 1m 33secs, Jerry cuts the overhead power cable with a pair of metal scissors and is unharmed, yet Tom who is holding on to the insulated part of the severed cable is electrocuted. I'm not expecting the film to get a Dogme certificate but come on.

Thomas

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 17, 2020, 09:08:19 PM
I'm not expecting the film to get a Dogme certificate but come on.

The Acme certificate, meanwhile, is proudly framed.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 17, 2020, 06:50:26 PM
Another fucking Tom & Jezza are bezzie mates movie? FUCK OFF.

Think about how that sounds, it's ridiculous. I mean.. they get together it's going to be a terrifying battle they're not going to get along much less have a bash of some kind.

DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT!

They're clearly acting like the traditional " I'm gonna fuck you up , cunt" characters from the original cartoons to each other on that trailer, after the initial wrongfooting at the start.

Unless you're kidding around?

Cast of that film looks pretty solid.

ETA Oh, I think you were just replying to RFV, weren't you? Never mind. Anyways, I'd happily watch that T& J film, as I'm sure a great many of mine fellow CABbers would.

mojo filters

Bollocks...I thought this might be some kind of Simon & Garfunkel biopic. It would be an apt title for an interesting exploration of their early years.

At least I have advance warning. I had to sit through the whole of Black Panther after mistakingly having been mislead into expecting an interesting movie about political history!

Replies From View

Every time I watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I am filled with wonder at what they put on the screen.  I've seen it countless times and I always think it's incredible.

Why have none of these ones since then - Space Jam or whatever - ever managed to pluck the same strings?  I've only seen a trailer for this Tom and Jerry and I can't muster up one single unit of astonishment.  How come?

The Mollusk

At 1m 33secs, Jerry cuts the overhead power cable with a pair of metal scissors and is unharmed, yet Tom who is holding on to the insulated part of the severed cable is electrocuted. I'm not expecting the film to get a Dogme certificate but come on.

I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Utter Shit

chveik

Hand Solo

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 17, 2020, 10:12:23 PM
ETA Oh, I think you were just replying to RFV, weren't you? Never mind. Anyways, I'd happily watch that T& J film, as I'm sure a great many of mine fellow CABbers would.

And I was quoting the Mr Show Monster Parties sketch, wasn't that obvious? And clearly Tom and Jez are mates but it's the hotel manager who later pits them against eachother because she's doing some posh wedding at the hotel and doesn't want any mice, yet they clearly have one staying there with his own tiny apartment (???) then she just happens to employ his best mate as an exterminator? That's just providing false reasoning to drive the conflict, you don't need any plotting impetus to put them at odds, they're a fucking mouse and cat.. they naturally are at odds. What in the bilious fuck?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: chveik on November 18, 2020, 10:54:39 AM
sorry but it just looks awful

^

Just a trailer, I know, but everything about it is ghastly.

There's a TikTok joke in there, though, to ensure it'll survive the test of time.

Glebe

Looks a bit classier than your average classic cartoon update, but otherwise a bit meh. The usual cram in load of references to modern things to make sure it's 'up with the times'. Animation doesn't integrate well with the live action to my eyes. And Tom doesn't go "AAAAAAAHH!!"" when Jerry slams the window frame down on his fingers, missed opportunity.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Glebe on November 18, 2020, 12:01:36 PM
usual cram in load of references to modern things to make sure it's 'up with the times'

Glebe

They're back - and they're kicking it old skool!

dissolute ocelot

It could be worse, but I'd like to see some real heavy duty mayhem and comic invention in my cat-mouse fights. Itchy and Scratchy makes this look like Steamboat Willy.

I'm also really not convinced it'll stretch out to a feature film - how much will actually be cat and mouse, and how much will be half-assed human-centric "you're not fit to carry the bags at this hotel" "actually yes I can carry the bags quite adequately and all the old ladies like me". And finally, strong suggestion that it'll end with the cat and the mouse making up and becoming friends, which is crap.

In summary, no match for Neil Patrick Harris and the Smurfs. Strictly Chipmunk-grade.

idunnosomename

very late 90s vibe to this. pointless. I am vaguely intrigued whether it will manage to make money as the cinema industry falls to bits.

Bad Ambassador

As long as T&J are portrayed faithfully, and the scream is used at least once - apparently William Hanna's vocal track is used in the film - I will happily zone out during any scenes not featuring them. A bit like watching some of the shittier Laurel and Hardy films, where they're the comic relief to some light opera bollocks about gypsies. Just fast forward the dull bits to see them hitting each other with crockery.

Wet Blanket

Rob Delaney will turn out to be some kind of baddy who probably puts Michael Peña's job on the line in some way. Chloe Grace Moretz will see the error of her ways and team up with Tom and Jerry to save the day. At the end they find themselves *running* the hotel, cut to Tom in the swimming pool on a lilo - Jerry seems to puts a stuck of dynamite in his drink – but it's actually a candle on a birthday cake because now they're all friends.

Gulftastic

I wish Chloe Moretz would make better films. Maybe they could do another 30 Rock so we could have Jack-v-Kaylee again?

Hand Solo

I'd rather watch Captain Tom & Jerry.

There wouldn't be any fighting in that one either cos the cunt never went within 1000 miles of a German soldier.

brat-sampson

Jerry with the scissors is a dumb gaff, could have just given them plastic handles, but Tom gets struck by lightning, not shocked by the cable.

*The fact that he's holding insulation and not grounded so wouldn't be a good conductor for the lightning anyway is another matter, of course.

Blumf

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 18, 2020, 06:00:49 PM
I'd rather watch Captain Tom & Jerry.

Could somebody slam Captain Tom's fingers in a window to see if he makes the right yell?

magval

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 18, 2020, 12:06:15 PM

Wanted to make a joke about Tom's CRAP/RAPE shirt before I noticed how much stress it's causing the ghetto blaster to play the music that's entertaining that pair of two pricks and, well, here we are I guess.