Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,476
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:42:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tom & Jerry: The Movie

Started by notjosh, November 17, 2020, 06:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 18, 2020, 11:10:51 AM
There's a TikTok joke in there, though, to ensure it'll survive the test of time.

Oh because of hickory dickory dock and the mice?

Urinal Cake

Will the young people know who Tom & Jerry is?

Replies From View

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 18, 2020, 01:50:50 PM
And finally, strong suggestion that it'll end with the cat and the mouse making up and becoming friends, which is crap.

Prediction:  it'll look like they are becoming friends in the last five minutes or something, but then - oh no!! - Jerry will run off with a segment of Tom's scrotum or something, and the film will end with Tom chasing after him, his arms outstretched.

Replies From View

Something like this would be great:

FRIENDS

THE END

rue the polywhirl

This trailer looks so sucky. The Halifax adverts are better at combining live-action with animation. Plus the animation itself is so cheap and bland looking, maybe a small step up from the Fireman Sam reboots. This is not the movie that we need after 2020.

Hand Solo

Quote from: magval on November 18, 2020, 08:02:41 PM
Wanted to make a joke about Tom's CRAP/RAPE shirt before I noticed how much stress it's causing the ghetto blaster to play the music that's entertaining that pair of two pricks and, well, here we are I guess.

I'm more aghast how in both of those pictures neither of them is wearing a back-to-front baseball cap. They can't even do shit 90s-hip updates of things properly.

Wasn't there fairly recently some bizarre as fuck Tom & Jerry film where they're cunting mates again but shoehorned into Roald Dahl's Charlie And The Chocolate Factory for no fucking reason? Presumably because the studio owned the rights to both properties and asked some hack to knock up a script combining them? Trailer

Is it one of those legal things where they need to use the property to make something or it passes out of their ownership? It's truly bizarre and shit. For some reason I hope it was for a scrupulous legal reason rather than someone artistically deciding this would be a good thing to do.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 18, 2020, 08:30:56 PM
I'm more aghast how in both of those pictures neither of them is wearing a back-to-front baseball cap. They can't even do shit 90s-hip updates of things properly.

Wasn't there fairly recently some bizarre as fuck Tom & Jerry film where they're cunting mates again but shoehorned into Roald Dahl's Charlie And The Chocolate Factory for no fucking reason? Presumably because the studio owned the rights to both properties and asked some hack to knock up a script combining them? Trailer

Is it one of those legal things where they need to use the property to make something or it passes out of their ownership? It's truly bizarre and shit. For some reason I hope it was for a scrupulous legal reason rather than someone artistically deciding this would be a good thing to do.

That trailer seems to give the impression that it's a faithfully animated version of the Willy Wonka film, but with Tom and Jerry inserted completely independent to the main plot, so much so that the main characters don't even seem to acknowledge that the cat and mouse are even there at all. So odd.

kalowski

I'd rather watch a Gene Deitch era Tom and Jerry than this film.

Hand Solo

Quote from: I.D. Smith on November 18, 2020, 09:01:38 PM
That trailer seems to give the impression that it's a faithfully animated version of the Willy Wonka film, but with Tom and Jerry inserted completely independent to the main plot, so much so that the main characters don't even seem to acknowledge that the cat and mouse are even there at all. So odd.

Faithfully animated as in stealing a lot of the shots from the film? The voice-acting and animation is piss-poor and reminds me of those awful old Zelda CD-i cutscenes.

This Corridor Crew YouTube short makes more entertaining use of the source material tbh.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: madhair60 on November 17, 2020, 06:31:27 PM
Looks like a nonce's cock.

This is the point that i decided i would watch the trailer. Bit disappointing. At least it could have a Bowie song in It.

Replies From View

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on November 18, 2020, 08:30:22 PM
This trailer looks so sucky. The Halifax adverts are better at combining live-action with animation. Plus the animation itself is so cheap and bland looking, maybe a small step up from the Fireman Sam reboots. This is not the movie that we need after 2020.

we need a tom and jerry feature film with the optimism of a covid vaccine

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 18, 2020, 09:30:40 PM
Faithfully animated as in stealing a lot of the shots from the film? The voice-acting and animation is piss-poor and reminds me of those awful old Zelda CD-i cutscenes.

This Corridor Crew YouTube short makes more entertaining use of the source material tbh.

True. I guess I was meaning faithfully animated as in just a bland, steady recreation of the original film, in animated form, and then Tom and Jerry shoehorned in with seemingly no effort to integrate with the main story.

Replies From View

Faithfully animated as in being shit and not good enough

Replies From View

a loyal hound that dribbles bodily waste around the home

Quote from: I.D. Smith on November 19, 2020, 09:51:39 PM
True. I guess I was meaning faithfully animated as in just a bland, steady recreation of the original film, in animated form, and then Tom and Jerry shoehorned in with seemingly no effort to integrate with the main story.

Not seen that one, but all of the straight to DVD T&J crossovers I've seen (not by choice) follow the formula of the original movie playing out verbatim but with the slapstick Tom & Jerry subplot intersecting and occasionally nudging it along, like an unseen guiding hand.

They aren't bad, mostly because the source material is usually so strong and they don't deviate far from it. Lazy? Probably, but a mile better than "original" dreck like this:

Replies From View

The Schindler's List one was good.  Inarguably strong source material plus some excellent slapstick moments really brought the more turgid sections to life at long last

Loved the Birkenau scene in this version - Tom was like "waaaaaeeeeuurgh" and the pretentious red coat was spinning around and getting shredded, hehe.

kalowski

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 20, 2020, 11:21:28 AM
Not seen that one, but all of the straight to DVD T&J crossovers I've seen (not by choice) follow the formula of the original movie playing out verbatim but with the slapstick Tom & Jerry subplot intersecting and occasionally nudging it along, like an unseen guiding hand.

They aren't bad, mostly because the source material is usually so strong and they don't deviate far from it. Lazy? Probably, but a mile better than "original" dreck like this:

I see that and I'll raise you with this

Replies From View

Was there ever a Scooby Doo and Glee?

Blumf

Replies From View

Replies From View

Scooby Doo and The Great British Bake-Off

Mister Six

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 18, 2020, 09:30:40 PM

Is there a version of the Wonka thing that isn't preceded by a back-slapping making of documentary, and followed by those cunts commenting on the thing they've just made? I just want to watch the funny trailer FFS.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Mister Six on November 21, 2020, 05:49:18 PM
Is there a version of the Wonka thing that isn't preceded by a back-slapping making of documentary, and followed by those cunts commenting on the thing they've just made? I just want to watch the funny trailer FFS.

Yep.

Also, how the fuck does Charlie know the terribly dubbed Irish drunk man he stabs has a golden ticket? You could argue he just stabs him at random then finds it, but it sounds like he shouts "It's mine!" just as he's digging the knife in? Terrible bit of plotting there Corridor Crew Cunts.

Mister Six

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 21, 2020, 05:54:13 PM
Yep.

Hooray! I don't hate the Corridor Crew any more!

Anyway, Mrs Six put the trailer on the telly and the whole thing made my skin crawl. Something about the cel-animation-aping CGI pasted on top of sterile C-lister antics, while (metaphorically) wearing the flayed faces of beloved childhood characters just felt wrong.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on November 21, 2020, 06:07:23 PM
the cel-animation-aping CGI

which they don't even commit to, because they're doing a kind of 3D version of it rather than allowing it to be flat.  Who Framed Roger Rabbit achieved a 3D effect impressively using paints, but this feels like they couldn't quite be arsed to make their characters look like they had been hand-painted, just in case young audiences would become confused and instantly refuse to watch any films ever again.

Hand Solo

They actually did a cel-animated style CGI test for Roger Rabbit 2 back in 1998, it never got off the ground though.

Replies From View

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 21, 2020, 07:19:44 PM
They actually did a cel-animated style CGI test for Roger Rabbit 2 back in 1998, it never got off the ground though.

I'm glad it never happened.  The original Roger Rabbit film was made at exactly the right time, when practical effects hadn't yet been swapped out with post-production techniques, and the animation was able to rest on the brilliance of Richard Williams and his team rather than computer artists.  Whom I understand have enormous skill, but there was a magic brought by Williams which wouldn't be replicated in later years in projects like Space Jam.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mister Six on November 21, 2020, 06:07:23 PM
Hooray! I don't hate the Corridor Crew any more!
the Corridor Crew channel (as opposed to Corridor) is all about behind the scenes stuff. i've learnt an awful lot from them, including skills I can use practically. great bunch of lads

Hand Solo

Quote from: Replies From View on November 21, 2020, 06:27:03 PM
which they don't even commit to, because they're doing a kind of 3D version of it rather than allowing it to be flat.  Who Framed Roger Rabbit achieved a 3D effect impressively using paints, but this feels like they couldn't quite be arsed to make their characters look like they had been hand-painted, just in case young audiences would become confused and instantly refuse to watch any films ever again.

The pre-Richard Williams tests looked very underwhelming.

Norton Canes

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 17, 2020, 06:13:09 PM
Quite like the look of it as far as lightweight entertainment goes, Chloe Moretz is usually good too

For a few seconds I thought that was Jenna Coleman. Then I saw her face move.