Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:26:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Next Gen Consoles

Started by Chedney Honks, November 17, 2020, 07:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

druss

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 17, 2020, 10:21:00 PM
Dark Souls is shit for cunts
Are you saying this as someone who completed it or someone who played it for a bit and then put it down?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm saying it as someone who knows what's up.

The PS5's hard disk is being touted as one of its big selling points, but it seems rather stingy with the gigabytes. I assume you won't be able to replace it with a roomier one either. Fat(32) lot of good fast loading times will do you if you're constantly having to delete and download games.

Ferris

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 18, 2020, 12:55:02 PM
I'll wait a couple of years for the second revision consoles that are smaller, cheaper and hopefully with bigger hard drives installed.

Yeah this is the ticket. The announcement of RDR2 is what pushed me to get a PS4, I'll wait for something big like that before I bother.

Still have a fucking ton of PS4 games to get stuck into as well and someone's just sent me a WiiU they don't want any more so I'm back in the bigtime, emulator speaking

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Also, the added benefit of waiting a couple of years is that you're playing catch-up with the releases by that point, so the games that are coming out right now will be a lot cheaper. Fuck paying seventy quid for a game.

bgmnts

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 18, 2020, 01:35:03 PM
Also, the added benefit of waiting a couple of years is that you're playing catch-up with the releases by that point, so the games that are coming out right now will be a lot cheaper. Fuck paying seventy quid for a game.

70 be fucked. Assassins Creed Valhalla is £100.

Also, in regards to size, the Series S is fucking tiny. I can't see it getting smaller.

Ham Bap

Quote from: bgmnts on November 18, 2020, 02:06:38 PM

Also, in regards to size, the Series S is fucking tiny. I can't see it getting smaller.

Is that for the digital version?
It's £50 for the disc version.

bgmnts

Quote from: Ham Bap on November 18, 2020, 02:27:12 PM
Is that for the digital version?
It's £50 for the disc version.

Yeah, with all the content, i.e the full game/actual game.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I was talking more in terms of the PS5 and Series X, not the S, which is clearly designed for babby. The PS5 could definitely do with a couple of inches shaving off.

Ferris

100 quid for a game is daylight robbery.

Not arsed about the size of the ugly computer box taking up space unless it's like a fuckin wardrobe or something, just don't want to pay full wack for it on launch day before there's any good games on it.

El Unicornio, mang

For the Ultimate Edition. Standard edition is £50. Or if you're feeling really extravagant, £180 for the Collectors Edition. Check out all this extraneous tat!

I recently sold my internal organs to buy an Alienware laptop for work stuff, and it has the same gaming/graphics capabilities as the PS5, but I do really want to play that new Spider-Man game.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 18, 2020, 01:21:40 PM
I'm saying it as someone who knows what's up.

The PS5's hard disk is being touted as one of its big selling points, but it seems rather stingy with the gigabytes. I assume you won't be able to replace it with a roomier one either. Fat(32) lot of good fast loading times will do you if you're constantly having to delete and download games.

No, but you can add another SSD to increase the space.

I know it's cheap(ish) but the amount of available space on the Series S is ridiculous, 364GB.

bgmnts

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 18, 2020, 03:42:35 PM
For the Ultimate Edition. Standard edition is £50. Or if you're feeling really extravagant, £180 for the Collectors Edition. Check out all this extraneous tat!

The Ultimate Edition is just the full game they made.

Lets not pretend its extra stuff.

Dont want to be that cunt but game industry is pretty anti consumer.

Bazooka

They are bigging Spiderman MM up to be different enough, but every video I have seen it looks the same old same old just with some different unique abilities, but every fight and collectathon will be the same like the other game.

mobias

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 18, 2020, 04:45:56 PM
No, but you can add another SSD to increase the space.

At a fair whack of cash though. It only supports certain SSD's and they ain't going to be cheap.

Quote from: mobias on November 18, 2020, 06:24:37 PM
At a fair whack of cash though. It only supports certain SSD's and they ain't going to be cheap.

Yeah, but that's the price you pay for near ROM cartridge load speeds. They won't stay expensive anyway. SSDs are dropping in price as mechanical drives die off in the mainstream.

Quote from: Ludicrous Display on November 18, 2020, 05:36:20 PM
I know it's cheap(ish) but the amount of available space on the Series S is ridiculous, 364GB.

If you're the sort of person who has a ton of games on the go at once to need more than that, you probably want a Series X anyway. Series S is a secondary console for a kid's bedroom playing Minecraft and Fortnite or for the sort of person who buys a couple of big games a year.

Ferris

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 19, 2020, 12:38:24 PM
Series S is a secondary console for a kid's bedroom playing Minecraft and Fortnite or for the sort of person who buys a couple of big games a year.

SHOTS FIRED

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 19, 2020, 12:39:44 PM
SHOTS FIRED

Yeah, weak ass casuals, come at me.

But it does make sense. My brother in law bought an Xbox One at launch and he's probably played about 20 games total in the seven years he's had it, most of those the yearly Battlefield, COD and FIFA. Never even bothered to change the display settings when he bought a 4K TV, so he's still running everything in 1080p even though I've pointed it out and everything. Doesn't notice, doesn't care. The Series S is perfect for someone like him.

Bazooka

Your brother in law doesn't sound like a TRU3 G@M3R.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Ludicrous Display on November 18, 2020, 05:36:20 PM

That seems quite small by today's gaming standards. Modern Warfare alone is 250GB and a lot of others are above 100GB.

mobias

There's currently an article on the BBC website about PS5 launch shortages today and the queue at Curry's is over 150,000 long. I feel marginally better about being number 720 in the queue for a new graphics card at Overclockers now. The global graphics chip shortage is insanely bad.

El Unicornio, mang

Lots of unscrupulous eBay scalpers selling them for a grand currently, Xbox X going for as much as 5.

That's absolutely terrible! How can anyone be so unscrupulous that they'd put profit over people's basic needs?

Oh wait. These are completely uneccesary luxury items, aren't they. Go scalpers!

Chedney Honks

Basic impressions:

The haptic stuff and resistant triggers are basically the most sophisticated tech that's ever been in a pad. Sloshing through mud and then sliding down a little path in Astrobot was funny and pretty surprising. It's good.

Demon's Souls looks pretty remarkable, but it is still Demon's Souls. I played it a few months ago via JPN PS Now for a few levels and it feels identical. Hell of a launch game if you're new to it, though. Haptics also great here.

Miles Morales looks stunning in Fidelity Mode. A real leap from the PS4 Pro version of the original. Better in every way. Fine detail isn't as apparent as Demon's because of the faster movement but when you slow it down, it's remarkable. In 60fps Performance Mode, it's a revelation. That's the next gen jump.

System itself is very snappy, pretty, smooth, loading and all that is actually better. I wasn't arsed but it's odd not to be checking my phone throughout a little session. No opportunity.

AC Valhalla seems very similar but 60fps, so again, better. Probably still too soon to touch another AC game, but whatever.

I watched some footage of that Demons' Souls. It's not even the best looking game in The Beatles.

I think you need an intervention.

Timothy

Got my PS5 today. Sold my PS Pro for 250 and preordered the console in September. Loving it so far.

Dualsense is absolutely great. Haptic feedback is great and Astro was lots of fun.

Miles Morales and Demon Souls are gorgeous. And the loading speeds are insane. Booting up into a savegame for Morales is around 15 seconds from UI.

UI is a step up. Sharp and now in HDR. Also fun that you can now see how many hours you (and your friends) have played games.

Game download speeds have been improved and patches and games install simultaneously now which is nice.

Only downside is the low Trophy sound, storage capacity and Dualsense's battery life. Granted: It wasnt fully charged when it arrived but it lasted just a few hours. Gonna charge it tonight and see how long it lasts tomorrow.

mobias

Quote from: Timothy on November 19, 2020, 09:52:43 PM
Got my PS5 today. Sold my PS Pro for 250 and preordered the console in September. Loving it so far.

Kind of regret not doing that now. I hardly turn on my Pro these days so I wouldn't have even really missed it if I'd sold it to fund a PS5 pre order. I've got a bit of new console envy for those getting a PS5 today.

Timothy

I think it's still possible to sell your PS4 with a controller for around 200 I think! You could always try and see what people want to give. More PS5's are coming before Christmas. Think they will be widely available at the beginning of next year.

Another few hours with the PS5 this morning.

Astro's Playroom is absolutely fantastic. A great showcase for the Dualsense but a great game in itself. And all the nods to Playstation classics are really well done. I hope they're making a proper sequel for this.

Miles Morales is great. More Spider-Man. I loved the first game and this is more of the same, which is all I wanted from a new Spider-Man game. Raytracing is really well done. Quite cool to see the reflections.

Demon Souls is really hard. Gonna play this more when I finished Morales and Sackboy.

My console is quiet which is a relief since there are a lot of people that received consoles with coil whine. It's quite weird to have a console that's near silent after the jet engine sound horror of my PS4 Pro. I haven't had any crashes yet either.

Happy with my purchase.