Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:55:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Roper round his neck

Started by bgmnts, November 17, 2020, 08:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Burn him at the cladded stake. If he survives, he's a witch.

idunnosomename

im sorry have you not heard all the tumult at Downing Street? we now go live to Laura Kuenssberg flicking herself off

I almost lost my job for posting on Facebook that a combination of Tory heartlessness and 'value engineering' has killed those poor people.  Cost-cutting wank disguised as 'offering value' to the 'customer'.  I'd made a complaint about similar cladding being used on a student housing refit I was working on a year or so earlier.  Those buildings become tinder boxes.

The fact that no fucker is in the clink yet is further proof of how both govt (local & national) and the construction industry abrogate responsibility - and do it 'well'.

Lessons learned: 1) Facebook is worth avoiding; 2) colleagues are not friends, even if you drink with them a couple of times a week

buzby

The real issue with this is that manufacturers are allowed to perform the tests and self-certify fire resistance performance with no independent oversight. We used to do that sort of thing (via the Building Research Establishment, which was privatised in 1997 as one of the last actions of John Major's government), but the 'free hand of the market' and 'cutting red tape' brigade triumphed.

I remember saying in the original thread that you can't trust businesses whose main incentives are profit and shareholder value to self regulate when it comes to safety standards. The recent actions of Boeing in the US are a prime example of this.

thenoise

Yeah, leave the vital safety testing to the 22 year old intern who is desperately trying to tongue enough corporate arsehole to be able to move out of his parents' house. And then throw him to the lions when 72 people inconveniently die as a result of your corporate negligence.

JaDanketies

Kid deserves to be praised for putting his head above the parapet. I let a lot of bad corporate behaviour slide in the early years of being a worker. It's unsurprising that it's the prole intern who is talking about this deadly fraud rather than any of the rich fuckers who were in the same meeting as him.

Reminds me a little of the untrained kid who was earning £3 an hour and was supposed to have stopped the Manchester Arena bombing. He got his mug in the newspaper, too.

It isn't the oppressed and honest worker we should be mad at. He's already punished more than enough by his own guilt. Bet this guy has struggled with his conscious and felt guilt much more acutely than any of the cunts that made millions cladding this death-trap.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://youtu.be/Ch5VorymiL4

I enjoyed this 80s documentary someone recently shared. Fascinating ghoulish shit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quoteboth govt (local & national) and the construction industry abrogate responsibility - and do it 'well'

This is the thing to focus on. At every level the buck passing is sickening, the human cost terrifying.

But unaccountability and arse covering is baked in to this system. Each individual element hides behind a firewall and between them no-one ever gets nailed aside of the odd outlier, normally no-one of any real significance. The more you dig, the more the delegation of responsibilities is diffused and the extent to which any single party can be held accountable ever more limited.

The documentary above is a steady uncovering of this fact, a well edited account of a proper tv investigation (not that this is a good substitute for an impartial inquiry).

Horrible to think even now of how many families are living in death traps, and the fact those responsible for housing policy and the private sector couldn't give a shit. They'll gamble on it being another 10 years before it happens again.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 18, 2020, 12:05:04 PM
https://youtu.be/Ch5VorymiL4

I enjoyed this 80s documentary someone recently shared. Fascinating ghoulish shit.

That got shared in the original Grenfell thread. Essential yet sickening viewing, very much the two-girls-one-cup of the Great British housing crisis.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 18, 2020, 01:03:09 PM
The more you dig, the more the delegation of responsibilities is diffused and the extent to which any single party can be held accountable ever more limited.

I increasingly think this near-fundamental to the arrangement of the UK at this point. Westminster has aggressively centralised power and finances in practice, while passing out decision-making to ostensibly local bodies (e.g. in the English NHS, CCGs) with little to no real capacity for dealing with the issues and almost no actual freedom given the financial and other constraints that they're operating under.

touchingcloth

The comparisons to the mortgage crash are pretty stark. There's lots of esoteric and opaque stuff going on, so I bet in the same way lots of funds didn't know that their investments were made up of 100% shit mortgages, lots of builders and housing companies probably didn't realise that they were cladding their buildings with tinder.

The biggest comparison seems to be the issue of leaving certification to partisan bodies, in the case of the financial collapse that was the ratings agencies happily declaring mortgage-backed securities and all of their variants and related assets as AAA, and in the case of Grenfell it's letting the cladding manufacturers design and run their own tests and declare their solid petrol to be flame-retardant.

I bet the outcome of it all will be the same, too. If any criminal prosecutions happen, they will be to "some guy" who everyone else can point to as a bad apple, shake their heads and say tsk tsk and then carry on as before, just as soon as they're rebadged all of their cladding materials, obvs.

dissolute ocelot

The problem is even if you jail all the cunts at the building company and the council and everyone in between, it's not really them who benefited: it's fundamentally the people who profit from the property development who drive it all. On the one hand, we absolutely need to see people punished, because the alternative is everyone gets off scot free. But they'll never go far enough up. The best we can hope for is that they stop building tower blocks that catch fire, which would be very good even if it's circumvented in a few years, but they'll never punish the really guilty people.

Blumf

Hummmm.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55030342
QuoteSafety checks that left thousands of people unable to sell their flats after the Grenfell disaster are being eased.

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick said homes without cladding would no longer need an EWS1 external wall safety certificate - which involves a survey.

Thousands of people have been refused mortgages on flats because owners have been unable to get the surveys done.

But mortgage lenders said they "did not consent" to the announcement of the changes.

They also questioned how many homeowners would benefit.

Can't see this storing up trouble for the banks and government. No sir-eee!

QuoteMr Jenrick also said the government was paying to train 2,000 more assessors within six months to speed up checks on blocks which did have cladding.

But some cladding experts questioned whether the £700,000 in government funding would be enough.

"Do they think they can just give these people a two-day training course for £350?" said Adrian Buckmaster, director of Tetraclad. "You can't train experience in the built environment."

Just get Brexitdeath traps done!!