Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bungle In The Kremlin

Started by thr0b, November 18, 2020, 11:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

ajsmith2

Confused what the thread title (Jethro Tull consider rewrite?) has to do with the article linked to. Am I missing something obvious?

The article itself seems like the kind of tedious by the book culture wars propogating thinkpiece that by this point couldve been written by an AI app and that (hopefully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) will soon seem more dated and obsolete and painfully 'of it's time' than the 80s pop culture that the author covers on her main blog.

Bad Ambassador

The article's author writes a blog taking the piss out of old Rainbow comics. She started going off on one after the election about how Joe Biden was trying to steal the election, which was odd as pretty much everything else on her feed had been lighthearted nostalgia-based stuff. Some thought she'd been hacked, but it turned out she's just a fruitcake who threw a wobbler and flounced off when people told her she was being nutty. And now the Kremlin's picked her up as a victim of cancel culture, because she made wild, unfounded claims about electoral fraud that others told her were horseshit.

Blue Jam

Oh not Jenny Morrill :( I follow her on Twitter (@theworldOfcrap) and had noticed she had been following a few accounts like Spiked Online and Defund The BBC but I did wonder if she was just rubbernecking, like me following @realDonaldTrump. Shame.

ajsmith2

Thanks for the context. It's shite if she's received genuine unhinged threats just for expressing her daft ideas. She should be able to talk a load of old crap unmolested without being pushed towards the dark side of writing culture wars perpetuating blogs. A crappy situation all round.

Blue Jam

A few people have replied to her tweets mentioning her supposed support of Tommy Robinson- any truth in that? Has she deleted tweets about him? Very sad if true. I used to love her writing about nostalgia for crap food and shite TV and I enjoyed her novel (Crap Holiday). Really quite sad about this.

thr0b

Someone did tweet screen-grabs of alleged DMs she sent claiming that Tommy is misunderstood and not who the media claim him to be. Bad form in sharing them, ludicrous form if she believes it.

Fambo Number Mive

That's a real shame as I loved Jenny's blog (which doesn't mention politics). Her Russia Today article just comes across as a lazy rant, I mean this:

QuoteAnd god forbid one of them should ever meet a working-class person in the wild – they will wrinkle their nose and tell them off for 'liking football and sausage rolls'

jobotic

Applies to Jake Berry, not the woke left.

idunnosomename

i fully support telling off working class people in the street for liking football and sausage rolls

oustropique

This has really surprised me, and the sudden pivot to that news source seems like the quickest heel turn I've seen. I've never followed her on social media, though. Her novel is one of the funniest things I've read in my life and I was looking forward to the sequel. Oh well, another one for the 'driven insane by the internet' pile. It's a big pile.

Fambo Number Mive

Thread title makes me imagine Bungle defecting to Russia after one too many quips by Geoffrey, knocking over the Lomonosov china cup Putin offers him and getting lost on the Moscow Metro.

Blumf

George joined the Spetsnaz but they kicking him out because he was too fucking hardcore.

Mr Farenheit

Read a load of stuff she's written about Rainbow just recently. It was great stuff and she'd obviously put in the hours researching it. She also has a YouTube channel with loads of well selected short, really funny Rainbow clips.
Sad to hear she's gone off the deep end, another one that has been turned mad by the Internet i guess...
Anyway a good excuse to post this gif again

RicoMNKN

I follow her on Twitter and hadn't seen any of that.
Looking at her follow list, it suddenly goes from lots of mutual follows to almost entirely dodgy right wing accounts I have blocked.

Twitter radicalisation is a horrible thing.

(The rot seems to set in with an Andrew Doyle follow)

Famous Mortimer

What a shittily written article. I'm surprised she was ever a good writer.

idunnosomename

thread titles you can sing to the refrain of Jilted John

Blue Jam

I was thinking Tiptoe Through The Tulips

Or maybe Dude Looks Like A Lady

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

bgmnts

Her article is ironically even more useless and shite than the useless and shite she's saying is useless and shite.

But not WOKE.

Fambo Number Mive

Her blog was very funny so it's interesting to see how rubbish her Russia Today articles are, she's no good at being funny about politics as well as having rubbish opinions. I guess Rainbow and 80s crap UK toys aren't very big in Russia though.

I'm a bit confused as to why Russia Today want her to write for them.

thr0b

Potentially 9000 views to each of the articles she does for them. Bringing in an audience otherwise unlikely to be clicking on links to Putin's friendly propaganda website.

Blue Jam

Quote from: thr0b on November 22, 2020, 02:36:35 PM
Oh dear oh dear.

https://on.rt.com/avgp

Nasty bit of slut-shaming in there, and a "Karen" joke. Oh dear. Sad to see this when her blog is well-written and her novel is genuinely hilarious.

She's following Defund The BBC on Twitter and appears to have gone a bit [banned member] over the license fee of late.

Strange that she's chosen an article on "burping sheep" as an example of something that isn't newsworthy. This is actually pretty interesting and relates to sustainable farming and climate change. No chance of these sheep getting Scrapie either:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-50856275

Blue Jam

Also a pet hate of mine is seeing a magazine article, celebrity gossip article etc on a news site and seeing btl comments like "THIS ISN'T NEWS!". Nope, it isn't news, it's in the magazine section or the gossip column of the website. If you were reading a physical copy of the paper it'd be in a different section or supplement and you would have realised this.

Why do people find this so difficult to comprehend? Should they perhaps have a different computer monitor or phone screen for each section to help them understand?

peteprodge

Oh come on. She was always crap at writing.

All that "Zippy tells George to fuck off" stuff was tedious predictable shite in the 1990s, hawked about by awful stand-up comedians and those terrible Viz-wannabe comics. Much of her writing is like when a reviewer in a second division computer games magazine tries to be amusing. "We're all a bit crap, here, aren't we?" It's Duncan Thickett for c--ts.

What makes me laugh is that the annual cost of her Bungle-having-a-spliff Patreon top tier is just £10 short of the UK TV license, and here she is moaning about some trivial stories she found on the BBC website. I know self-awareness is not a top priority for Donald Trump supporters...

thr0b

I'm not sure charging for a PDF of a Rainbow comic is strictly legal either. Unless of course she's giving physical second hand copies.

Quote from: thr0b on November 23, 2020, 12:22:09 PM
I'm not sure charging for a PDF of a Rainbow comic is strictly legal either. Unless of course she's giving physical second hand copies.

Christ, has she set up an Onlyfans as well?