Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:51:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Famous people you know of but don't know what they look like.

Started by Icehaven, November 18, 2020, 10:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Charlie of " Charlie and his Angels" fame  looks like John Forsythe, that silver haired now dead old actor from " Dynasty" and " Scrooged".

Icehaven

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 19, 2020, 07:54:15 AM
Shane Meadows looks like the result of what would happen if the youngish Alexei Sayle and the music critic Everett True were to both accidentally wander into Seth Brundle's famous  transforming, gene splicing Shaker Maker machine, if that's any help to icehaven. I remember seeing  a picture of him going to one of his film premieres in his C and A suit , with a sheepish smile on his face, and thinking " aw, bless!"  ( I mean that's what I ended up thinking, not what he was thinking. I don't know what he was fucking thinking, do I?)

No I'm going to remain in Shane Meadows looks ignorance, unless I accidentally see him on TV or one day just happen to overhear some bloke saying "As I was saying to my good friend Paddy Considine, who's been in several films I've directed and co-written, including Dead Man's Shoes and A Room For Romeo Brass..."

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: kalowski on November 19, 2020, 09:01:49 AM
Harry Styles

He's another one who has tattoos like he fell asleep and his friends drew all over him, or as someone once put it, "like the desk you did your exams on at school."

steve98

His mates ('Arry's) probably ink over his shitty tats with... I dunno, something flesh-coloured when he's unconcious. Windolene, maybe.

Dex Sawash

shiftwork2

Fearne Cotton.  I thought I knew her but I'd made a simple error.  You may be able to guess what it was. Between two Ferns.

Icehaven

Quote from: steve98 on November 18, 2020, 10:21:59 PM
Rappers with the first name "Lil" (Little): Lil Pump, Lil Minx, Lil Wayne, Lil Uzi... I love them all with all my heart but I don't know what any of them look like. (only one I'd recognize is Lil ('n') Large, haha).

Please tell me there's one called Lil Lilo.

Norton Canes

It's only literally last week I found out that Steve McQueen is not the same person as Alexander McQueen. And that Steve McQueen is black. And that Alexander McQueen is dead! Mind blown

Icehaven

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 19, 2020, 02:07:46 PM
It's only literally last week I found out that Steve McQueen is not the same person as Alexander McQueen. And that Steve McQueen is black. And that Alexander McQueen is dead! Mind blown

Get ready for more...

Norton Canes

kalowski

beanheadmcginty

Ellie Goulding. I know she's a female singer, but the only thing I can reasonably picture in my mind is Elliott Gould in a dress.

Johnboy

Didn't know what Justin Timberlake looked like for years.  Still couldn't place him in a line up.

The Mollusk

An tSaoi

The ones that come to mind are directors, eg. Brian DePalma. It's strange, I know what a lot of his contemporaries look like, your Scorceses, Spielbergs, Friedkins, Cormans, Lucases etc. (I even know what Terrence Malick looks like) but I can't picture DePalma's face at all.

Also:
Sam Raimi (I thought I knew what he looked like, but it turns out I was thinking of John Carpenter)
John Boorman
Sam Peckinpah
Don Siegel
David Leane
Richard Linklater
David O Russell
the guy who did Gravity and Leo Gets Raped By A Bear

Very recognisable names, I've seen a lot of their films, but I couldn't pick them out of a line-up.

Why do I know what some directors look like, and not other, equally famous ones?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: icehaven on November 18, 2020, 10:13:13 PM
I was listening to a podcast earlier that mentioned Shane Meadows doing some good deed in public or something, and it occurred to me that although I've been very familiar with his films and his name for years I've never seen a picture of him and have no idea what he looks like. It's just lack of cause or curiosity that I've never Googled imaged him, but with directors/authors/artists etc. this is probably a lot more common than with public figures that have a more visual presence (although obviously with the internet/social media now it's arguable that they all do.)
Obviously it's solved in seconds with an internet search but is there anyone who's oevre you've known of for ages and who's work you feel you know well without ever having had a thought to look up their visage?

If you've seen his early films, he's appeared in a few of them, so maybe you unknowingly had seen Meadows but not twigged.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who thinks they've never seen what Stan Lee looks like even though they've watched all the Marvel movies?  Who is that elderly man in the aviator shades that they keep using as an extra? Someone should have a word with the studio casting agent.

I don't know which one is Ryan Reynolds and which one is Ryan Gosling.

I also found out recently "The Weeknd" is a solo artist and not a band. No idea what he looks like.

dissolute ocelot

Every 1D person except Harry Styles, who I know has (had) floppy hair.

All film directors are fat and beardy including da Palma. Although Scorsese shaved some time since 1980 I prefer to think of him in his prime.

I still think all Radio One DJs look like Mark Goodier. They sack the ones who don't.

Calvin Harris.

All Kardashisns. One has a bum.

Jollity

I have seen pictures of some of the Kardashians and/or their Jenner half-sisters, but aside from Kim, I couldn't tell you which one was which.

Also, someone mentioned Kendrick Lamar in a thread in Oscillations about "artists nobody dislikes", and it's true that I don't dislike him, but that's because all I know about him is that he's actually very famous and presumably if I weren't such a wrinkly old prune, I would know who he was.

Menu

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 19, 2020, 02:07:46 PM

God I think I've been doing that too.

timebug

I am in the same boat as Jollity who wrote:
'I have seen pictures of some of the Kardashians and/or their Jenner half-sisters, but aside from Kim, I couldn't tell you which one was which.'
Whilst I have heard of the family,becaise of the seemingly endless telly progs, I wouldn't know any of 'em if I tripped over them in the dark!

steve98

I did a quick How Accurately Can You Differentiate Your Kardashians coffee-time thing in The Sun*, and scored -1 (minus one). I'm in the bottom 3% when it comes to Kardashian awareness. (I'm not boasting, it is what it is.)

*I won't link to it.

Jockice

Anyone connected with that Essex programme, with the possible exception of Gemma Collins and Arg, who I've only noticed cos they're overweight and went out with each other.