Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:24:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Famous people you know of but don't know what they look like.

Started by Icehaven, November 18, 2020, 10:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The writer Kate Mosse, who I can only assume looks exactly like Kate Moss.

Marner and Me

John Legend, always assumed he was some sort of Ed Sheeran look alike, or maybe had the looks of some sort of American Country and Western singer. Turns out, he isn't.

beanheadmcginty

Whoever is current secretary general of the UN. I have no idea what his name is, what country he's from, state of his facial hair etc. All previous secretary generals since I was born I can name instantly. What has happened? Doesn't the UN have a PR department anymore?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 28, 2020, 06:26:33 AM
Whoever is current secretary general of the UN. I have no idea what his name is, what country he's from, state of his facial hair etc. All previous secretary generals since I was born I can name instantly. What has happened? Doesn't the UN have a PR department anymore?

UN Secretary General António Gutteres am dissapoint

steve98

Bullsugar you can, Ah'm callin' bullsugar on this. When were you born beanhead?

Ray Travez

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 28, 2020, 07:35:53 AM

UN Secretary General António Gutteres am dissapoint

Difficult to imagine " The Fast Show" basing a catchphrase on him.

buttgammon

Yes, he's unusually low profile. I could instantly name and mentally picture the head of the WHO (well, I'd struggle to spell his surname from memory admittedly) but despite seeing the picture of Guterres in this thread a few seconds ago, he's just not memorable enough.

touchingcloth

Secretaries-General.

And living in Portugal, I know his name like I know all the famous Portuguese's names.

... ...

Henry the Navigator.

All the Portuguese.

petril

Rizla

I cannot picture Timothy Bottoms or Joss Ackland (although the latter's semen-stained rucksack would be a giveaway). I can only get Christopher Plummer in my mind's eye if I really try hard.

Bottoms looks like about 20 different actors. Bit o' Beatty. Bit o' Lloyd Kaufman. Bit o' Mel Brooks. Weird.

Ackland's like an inflated Edward Woodward with some Michael Winner and Alec Guinness thrown in. Weird.

TrenterPercenter

Drake, no idea, for some reason I think he looks like David Blane.

I pretty much stopped watching all mainstream telly about 10 years ago (I watch Netflix which is MS I suppose but i'm quite selective there etc but the last thing I watched on iplayer was Once Upon a Time in Iraq - which was incredible - and other than that i'd say it's been years since I watched anything from the BBC - hmm maybe a New World Order prior to the election last year).

All these celebs just appear to be dressing on a really uninventive faux reflection of reality, it's completely toothless and more akin to panto at this stage.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: steve98 on November 28, 2020, 08:13:46 AM
Bullsugar you can, Ah'm callin' bullsugar on this. When were you born beanhead?
De Cuellar, Boutros Boutros Ghali, Kofi Annan, Ban Ki Moon. All trip off the tongue instantly. Haven't got a clue who it is now despite literally just reading it in one of the replies 30 seconds ago.

Ray Travez

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 28, 2020, 04:38:27 PM

All these celebs just appear to be dressing on a really uninventive faux reflection of reality, it's completely toothless and more akin to panto at this stage.

Yes, I find it very strange to watch these celeb programmes now, or catch a glimpse of them to be more accurate. The troubles and fragmentation that are increasing in the world form a backdrop that makes them look frivolous at best, and positively deranged at worst. Like a wo/man practising juggling on the deck of the Titanic. I suppose that's the aim really, a frothy distraction, but if you can't suspend your disbelief, it's a very odd spectacle. I think it's the yawning chasm between reality and the cosy, shiny tv world that makes it so dissonant. I'd love to be infantilised and comforted, but it's not an illusion I can buy into, not even the frisson of apparently being angered by it's vacuousness. It's just strange, like peering into a very jolly asylum.