Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:23:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedies that you can only remember one line/moment from.

Started by AnOrdinaryBoy, November 19, 2020, 01:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

I 'watched' Birds of a Feather (or,rather,was in the same room while my mum watched it) for years and years but all I remember about it is the 'waddle eye doo' theme tune, and those photographs during the end credits.

Aleister Growley

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 19, 2020, 08:54:36 PM
Ricky Fortune! Still gets sung on drunken birthday nights out.

That's the guy! At some point he had a space themed outfit from his "Galaxy" concept album.
Sadly if you put "Ricky Fortune" into Google it's all about Gervais bank account...

turnstyle

How Do You Want Me?

End of century sitcom starring Dylan Moran as Dylan Moran. Two series. Watched it all. Only thing I really remember from it is a scene where the rich father-in-law is trying to get Moran to leave his daughter and offers him 20k in a suitcase.

Father-in-law: Do you want to count it?
Moran: Okay...one.
Father-in-law: Not the bag, the money.

studpuppet

Quote from: Glebe on November 19, 2020, 10:37:10 AM
I remember this being on. I think it was kind of set around an old theatre and Frank Skinner was a kind of concierge or summit. Could be completely wrong, not arsed doing a YouTube for it at the moment.

Wasn't Henry Normal the theatre manager?

studpuppet

Mine comes from either Pushing Up Daisies or Coming Next, a sketch show featuring Chris Barrie, Hale & Pace and Carla Mendonca (it changed names from first to second series apparently).

There was a sketch where Barrie plays a Nazi general, and he describes himself as being unable to pronounce his 'v's and 'w's, hence he would never support Wolverhapmton Wanderers or drive a Volvo car.

Thirty years later I'm married to a German that I always introduce this way.

EDIT: it was Coming Next (thank god I didn't have to watch six episodes-worth...)

Menu

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 20, 2020, 06:35:07 AM
I thought so too, so I looked her up. The only thing she's in that I am very familiar with is one if the Austin Powers films. She is in one of the 'penis' montages, specifically the 'Pecker!' bit.

What's her name? I'm not familiar with those films unfortunately. Maybe she just looks like somebody else.

Menu

Quote from: turnstyle on November 20, 2020, 01:46:16 PM
How Do You Want Me?

End of century sitcom starring Dylan Moran as Dylan Moran. Two series. Watched it all. Only thing I really remember from it is a scene where the rich father-in-law is trying to get Moran to leave his daughter and offers him 20k in a suitcase.

Father-in-law: Do you want to count it?
Moran: Okay...one.
Father-in-law: Not the bag, the money.

LOL! Another lost Simon Nye comedy gem.

Bingo Fury

A Ronnie Barker sitcom from the early 1970s called "His Lordship Entertains", in which Barker plays a crustly old aristo who turns his stately home into a hotel. A prim lady is reading out the names of recent guests from the register for some reason, all of whom have colours for surnames. They're all names like Mr Black, Mrs Brown, Mr Green - and then she pauses briefly after reading out the name Mrs Pink and says "rather a funny one, that" before continuing with the list. I remember nothing else about it.

Dusty Substance

I recall a British sitcom from around 1990 but the sole moment I can remember is a bit in an episode where a man was due to give a semen sample but one thing lead to another and he ended up using some sort of hair cream instead.

kevinq

Quote from: Psmith on November 20, 2020, 12:57:38 AM
Piff Paff Poff! I want to have it off 'till I cough!

I remember that from The High Life but nothing else.I did regularly  watch it though so it must have amused me at the time

Mine is also The High Life: a tough guy character is addicted to custard creams, and sobs "Nobody takes biscuit addiction seriously in this country!". I know I probably watched it all, but that's all that remains.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Ray Travez

I remember three jokes from Packet of Three. I'm possibly the show's biggest fan, being as I thought it was 'ok'

1. Jenny Eclair "I've made a pair of knickers out of origami swans; but I think I've got them on inside out"

Skinner- "that's it Jen, keep your pecker up"

2. Frank Skinner's character lists a series of her faults to Jenny Eclair's character, ending with, "... and you smell when you've got your period;" she knees him in the groin and he doubles over saying something like "thanks, I deserved that"

3. A Henry Normal joke. Forget the set-up, but the punchline was "cash and karaoke!"

paruses

Anyone remember Lame Ducks? Only thing I may remember about it was that it was set at a lock keeper's cottage. May have had some Dear John alumni in it which is why I was very very disappointed by it.

Gulftastic

Quote from: paruses on November 22, 2020, 06:09:15 PM
Anyone remember Lame Ducks? Only thing I may remember about it was that it was set at a lock keeper's cottage. May have had some Dear John alumni in it which is why I was very very disappointed by it.

Lorraine Chase and one of Citizen Smith's pals from the Tooting Popular Front who I think was a postman trying to walk around the world on an inflatable ball.

paruses

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 22, 2020, 06:15:59 PM
Lorraine Chase and one of Citizen Smith's pals from the Tooting Popular Front who I think was a postman trying to walk around the world on an inflatable ball.

Gah - wrong thread.

But Lorraine Chase? Postman sounds right.

Edit - reposted in the confusingly similar thread

famethrowa

Red Dwarf. Honestly, the only thing I remember seeing is the Chris Barrie fella striding down the corridor with purpose, in a leather jacket while a knockoff version of "Take My Breath Away" played. I thought it was pretty damn funny but it didn't make me watch the show more.

Gregory Torso

All I can remember from So Haunt Me is that you see George Costigan's arse in the film Rita, Sue And Bob Too.

I also remembered the name "George Costigan" without prompting.

In the ITV sitcom Home To Roost someone fucks a cigarette into their garden and calls their lawnmower a "bastard". it was big news in school the next day.

He might have said "prick", but it is unlikely.

Jockice

70s sitcom The Cuckoo Waltz. My only memory of it is an episode that featured my first celebrity crush, Louise Hall-Taylor (of Hickory House fame), playing a woman of rather loose morals. The punchline at the end is that she's caught copping off with one of the other characters. May even have been in bed with him. I've obviously blanked out exactly what happened. Broke my pre-pubescent heart that did.

(Just looked it up. She played Little Cousin Sandra in one episode in 1977. I can't remember a single other thing about the show or even if I ever saw it apart from that one time. It was enough.)

Jockice

Humphrey Cushion and Dusty Mop probably shagged her as well. As did her co-host before he became a junkie on Brookside. I'm still upset. That was the day I lost my innocence.

https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/itv-archive-703429bz

Absorb the anus burn

Two workplace sitcoms from the 80s:

The Happy Apple (an unrealistic Office) and Sharon And Elsie (an unrealistic Factory). I remember the theme tunes to both of them (String Quartet Mozart / Upbeat Northern Brass banger) and that Bridget Forsyth always seemed to look exasperated in Sharon And Elsie - I think it must have had a couple of series.[nb]I worked on a stage show with BF in the 00s. She did an accurate and extremely offensive impersonation of HMQ aka COD.[/nb]

Gulftastic

'Mixed Blessings', about an inter racial marriage from around 1980 I think.

Only gag I remember is the white bloke talking to one of his black partner's brothers. They were wondering about what they could do to earn some money and one of them says something like 'if we had another ten of you and another ten of me, we could hire ourselves out as a mobile zebra crossing '

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 23, 2020, 08:35:32 AM
'Mixed Blessings', about an inter racial marriage from around 1980 I think.

Ah yes... Joan Sanderson ("What!?") played the gruff, but sympathetic maternal figure... The male lead in the series went on to 'star' in That's My Boy.

Gurke and Hare

I was going to mention Sharon and Elsie. The one thing that I remember about it was that there was a stereotypical comedy union man, whose catchphrase was "Time and a half".

Glebe

Quote from: studpuppet on November 20, 2020, 04:24:45 PMWasn't Henry Normal the theatre manager?

According to Wiki he was in it... ah, this would be the same Henry Normal that set up Baby Cow Productions with Steve Coogan!

studpuppet

Quote from: Glebe on November 23, 2020, 10:06:07 AM
According to Wiki he was in it... ah, this would be the same Henry Normal that set up Baby Cow Productions with Steve Coogan!

Yup - other than that all I remember him doing is bit parts in other Baby Cow shows (Paul Calf springs to mind), and I have a vague recollection of him doing poetry on something like Viva Cabaret? In Packet Of Three I have a vision of him dressed in the kind of burgundy nylon coat that barbers used to wear, but as he was front of house it was probably a purple tuxedo...

Ignatius_S

Quote from: paruses on November 22, 2020, 06:09:15 PM

That was one I was going to mention - the only thing I can recall is that in the credits there was a cartoon illustration of the main character with a duck's body, Lorraine Chase was in it and the characters lived in an old train station.

*edit* Notice that The Sitcom Club has this month release an episode about Lame Ducks...

Bently Sheds

Only two things remain in my memory from Johnny Vaughan's 'Orrible.

His big mate had an Eastern European girlfriend called Vajnia and, when questioned about the legitimacy of their relationship (everyone thought she was only doing it to get into the country) he shouts "I LOVE VAJ! AND VAJ LOVES ME!!"

Johnny's friend loses both legs in an accident & gets prosthetic legs. Initially an average height bloke, he appears towards the end of the show and he's suddenly a six footer. "That's the great thing about having artificial legs," he says. You can be any height you want."

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: studpuppet on November 23, 2020, 12:26:42 PM
Yup - other than that all I remember him doing is bit parts in other Baby Cow shows (Paul Calf springs to mind), and I have a vague recollection of him doing poetry on something like Viva Cabaret? In Packet Of Three I have a vision of him dressed in the kind of burgundy nylon coat that barbers used to wear, but as he was front of house it was probably a purple tuxedo...

He used to do poetry on Packet of Three too. I think it's fair to say Henry Normal is far better at producing and writing for other people than he is for himself.