Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:00:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"40 Genius Gervais Gags"

Started by Jon_Norton, June 13, 2005, 10:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"So, you reckon Extras will be Luvvie Darling, but with Gervais' inimitable mugging?

Yeah. The Luvvie Darling strip  in the last Viz is really funny, but I can imagine Gervais missing the point and being all naturalistic with it.

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"So, you reckon Extras will be Luvvie Darling, but with Gervais' inimitable mugging?

Yeah. The Luvvie Darling strip  in the last Viz is really funny, but I can imagine Gervais missing the point and being all naturalistic with it.

You're missing a trick here. You could have a scene in which a director says he wants a scene done with "naturalism... do you know what naturalism is?" RG: "Of course. You mean in the noddy". [EMBARRASSMENT]

Rats

Quoteoccasionally turning to the audience with a big, faux-confused shit-eating grin on my face

Ha

Edit: No I didn't mean his, I was talking in the first person!  Ignore me, sorry!

Jon_Norton

Next week in Zoo: "40 Genius Gags In Cookd&Bombd", which turns out to be a load of typos.

Mister Cairo

//Comedy%20genius%20Ricky%20Genius%20spoke%20wrote:%20The%20idea%20of%20a%20rabbit%20having%20sex%20with%20a%20beautiful%20woman.%20That's%20the%20weirdest%20thing.%20It%20makes%20me%20feel%20annoyed,%20if%20I'm%20honest.

I wonder if ever time he goes into his children`s bedrooms, he has a go at the soft toys for sleeping with them. It`s such a bizarre thing-like he feels inadequate next to a piece of cloth covering a vibrator.

Which says a lot about how he mainly attacks people he feels superior to.

I`ve also been reading Gervais`s top 5 films, records, disabled people etc
//www.rickygervais.com/zooarticle.php+zoo+gervais&hl=en

-Spinal Tap was the biggest influence on the Office, apprentaly. I fail to see any link between the comedy in Spinal Tap and the Office.

-Favourite album- THE BENDS - RADIOHEAD
"I've listened to this album so much that I've had to replace it three times. Bones, especially, brings a tear to my eye every time."

He`s also been offered a part in MI3

DuncanC

It's a reference to Roger & Jessica Rabbit, surely?
Quote from: "Mister Cairo"I wonder if ever time he goes into his children`s bedrooms, he has a go at the soft toys for sleeping with them. It`s such a bizarre thing-like he feels inadequate next to a piece of cloth covering a vibrator.
What are you talking about?

Peking O

Ho hum. Comedy Chat's favourite punching bag gets it again. Isn't this becoming as predictable and boring as the blanket media praise for Gervais?

The Mumbler

The only thing that bores me more than Gervais himself is how vociferous the official backlash will be.  By comparison, some people reasonably questioning his "humour" is peanuts.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

This is Spinal Tap is fantastic, but it's become the stock-answer for every comedian. What most inspired you? Spinal Tap, Monty Python, Peter Cook. And now creeping in, Chris Morris.  I wish one comedian would just say 'Actually, my biggest influence was Chaucer's Canterbury Tales' or Bunuel or Voltaire or someone who hasn't been name-checked a million times. I know it'd sound pretentious and wanky, but at least it'd show they had a bit of originality. I'd admire a comedian who said, 'No, I've never seen Peter Cook or any Monty Python films. That kind of thing wouldn't interest me at all.' We'd all call him a cock, but variety is the spice of life etc.

Jon_Norton

Harry Enfield chanced his arm with "Actually, I never thought Monty Python was funny" back in the mid 90s.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I think the media will try and be 'above' the backlash myself. Eg, 'People might have expected the tide to turn, but Extras - while not as [insert maddening superlative] as The Office - is still one of the brightest gems of 2005.'

And Gervais is clever to do all the self-deprectaing 'it's the disappointing follow-up' stuff, because it'll mean lots of 'Actually, I quite enjoyed it this week' comments when it turns out to be mediocre rather than awful. I fear that, so long as Extras is acceptably watchable, there won't be a backlash.

Jemble Fred

If it helps, I find Spinal Tap to be nothing more than wry-smile-humour. Bad News, on the other hand, makes me larf loud and long.

The Mumbler

There'll have to be a "backlash" eventually, though, won't there?  Because otherwise there's no "story".  The career arc of Gervais will have to be like everyone else's - even in the eyes of the blind Mark Lawson, he'll have done his "best work" at some point.  Otherwise the messianic fervour will have nowhere to go.  Besides, someone else of limited capabilities will be there to be hyped by then.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "The Mumbler"There'll have to be a "backlash" eventually, though, won't there?  Because otherwise there's no "story".  The career arc of Gervais will have to be like everyone else's - even in the eyes of the blind Mark Lawson, he'll have done his "best work" at some point.  Otherwise the messianic fervour will have nowhere to go.  Besides, someone else of limited capabilities will be there to be hyped by then.

Well, yeah, but he's already pre-empted it. In fact, the stronger the backlash, the more he'll be able to say 'I told you so!'

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

I like Spinal Tap, but prefer Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman. I've never seen Bad News, which is another reason why i have to buy the Comic Strip boxset.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I wonder if he'll just be phased out gradually?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Then again, we could have a revolution. If people are up for it.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Well, yeah, but he's already pre-empted it. In fact, the stronger the backlash, the more he'll be able to say 'I told you so!'

Hopefully, someone can say, "But he's always been rubbish".  At which point, the rest of the country can retort, "We've been telling you that since 1999"...

Rats

I'm looking forward to extras and hope it's good. His stand up is lazy rubbish, surely we all agree.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Rats"I'm looking forward to extras and hope it's good. His stand up is lazy rubbish, surely we all agree.

I can't imagine Samuel L Jackson not making me laugh, if that's what he intends to do. So there's one episode I'm bound to quite enjoy.

Bert Thung

Here's my version of an Extras script

Ready When You Are, Mr McGill by Jack Rosenthal (just add Stephen Hawkins jokes)

slim

Quote from: "Utter Shit"Lot of Gervais hate here, then. Which is odd, considering that The Office was fantastic and his stand-up shows weren't terrible by any means.
My parody wasn't based on hate, it was affectionate. I liked and like The Office. His stand up was shit though. Politics was barely passable, containing some recycling from his 11OCS days and Animals was truly awful. Why shouldn't I have a playful dig? I'm sure he could handle it, were he to read it.

Quote from: "Peking O"Ho hum. Comedy Chat's favourite punching bag gets it again. Isn't this becoming as predictable and boring as the blanket media praise for Gervais?
Ho hum. Comedy Chat's favourite underdog supporter pipes up again. Isn't this becoming as predictable and boring as the Comedy Chat criticism of Gervais?

The Mumbler

Oof, actually I feel that Samuel L. Jackson is high on the list of people who really will do any old shite these days (51st State?  Even fucking Parkinson couldn't pretend to be impressed when they showed a clip on his insane complacency ward) .  

And as for another Extras cameo artist Kate Winslet, appearing in her first "comedy show" since Marks & Gran's recession sitcom Get Back in 1992, she quite often talks some nonsense too.  My favourite quote of hers to date involves her saying what a huge fan of Iris Murdoch she is, despite having read none of her books.  Ah, a fan of her "terminal illness", then.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Bert Thung"Here's my version of an Extras script

Ready When You Are, Mr McGill by Jack Rosenthal (just add Stephen Hawkins jokes)

If I had any money at all, cash prize to you, sir.  And where is the McGill DVD, while we're about it?  (Not the fucking remake, obviously.)

Peking O

Quote from: "slim"Ho hum. Comedy Chat's favourite underdog supporter pipes up again. Isn't this becoming as predictable and boring as the Comedy Chat criticism of Gervais?

I'd hardly call Gervais 'an underdog.' I'm not a big fan of his in particular, I just can't understand why we have to have this discussion time and time again.

Peking, theres nothing you can do about it - I'm resigned to the fact Gervais will never be able to win over some people, once you reach the level where people are sincerely saying "i cant bring myself to laugh at him because all i see is a salesman." then there's really nothing to gain from arguing with them is there? Once you realise that then these threads become incredibly entertaining rather than irritating.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Of course, everywhere else you look people are insisting that Gervais is a genius. I'm pretty fucking sick to the back gills with that, and threads like this are a nice way to alleviate the pain.

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "Peking O"Ho hum. Comedy Chat's favourite punching bag gets it again. Isn't this becoming as predictable and boring as the blanket media praise for Gervais?

That's why I said right at the start that "this thread writes itself". So I pre-empted your criticism. Thus I am clevererer than you are.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Considering that you don't like Munnery, you like deploying his jokes, doncha Jon?